Nvidia 3D Vision Vs. AMD HD3D: 18 Games, Evaluated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Except for the ones where it's not recommended. Good thing I have one on this rig! Now I just got to shell out some cash for some 3D Tech.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Everytime nVidia pushes out a proprietary format they shoot themselves in the foot. They just can't make it marketable with such a low market share. You need something like Microsofts 90% market share to think about making a closed standard.
Anyone notice the bevel on the Samsung model. That beautiful for multi-monitor.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Would it kill Tom's to use high-resolution pop-up pics? It's nearly impossible to discern any differences in detail or artifacts when comparing such low-resolution images. C'mon...1024 x 317? Seriously?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I thought we just had a report a month ago that 3d stuff was bad for your brain. shouldnt we be waiting to see if there's any real permanent damage from this tech before we jump right in and start using it?

bradleyg5

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
you jerks messed up the cross view images. why did you include empty black space between the frames. the need to touch, the further apart and the larger the images the harder it is. I can do it fine with the pictures on Wikipedia but these ones are impossible.

hyteck9

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
The unwritten message here is that this is all totally unacceptable. If I had shelled out major cash for 3D hardware, and then discovered only some 3D games are playable... I'd be yelling "shenanigans" from the highest mountain top. WHAT YEAR IS THIS? Nobody puts up with this "incompatable" crap anymore... its not 1980. Kudo's to Nvidia for trying to lock down polished experiences. Shame on any Game Software vendor that uses the 3D logo and doesn't deliver the goods. that is "False Advertising" as far as I am concerned and they better put a leash on it before they get sued. It sounds like Nvidia has a framework that succeeds when licensed, and game companies shy away from it due to its cost and/or red tape. Fine... Then don't release a 3D game!!! Sheesh. The more broken 3D crap Vendors put on the market, the more people will assume 3D itself is broken, which clearly isn't the case. Stop ruining the reputation of 3D by releasing half-ass'd titles please!

hyteck9

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Props to BulletStorm and Metro 2033 for being the only titles that simply "worked" on both Nvidia and AMD soltuions.. They have provem it "can" be done and everyone else should hang their head in shame.

G

here is a misarable pro-Intel campaign. Those reporters dedicate the article to AMD and Nvidia and they consider necessary to remind about Intel. Why? How much money you get for this hidden campaign pro Intel?

cleeve

Illustrious
here is a misarable pro-Intel campaign. Those reporters dedicate the article to AMD and Nvidia and they consider necessary to remind about Intel. Why? How much money you get for this hidden campaign pro Intel?

So for you it'd be responsible journalism if we noticed a problem with hardware and buried it so our readers wouldn't find out?

Or are you saying we shouldn't report negative findings we notice from any product? Or do you mean just AMD?

From where I'm sitting, what you're suggesting isn't even handed and fair journalism...

cleeve

Illustrious

No. The borders are there to help you focus. If the images were touching, your eyes would pick out the discrepancy on the edge and make crossviewing more difficult.

And what's with "jerks"...? Was name calling really necessary? :)

cleeve

Illustrious

Hype: maybe.

But as far as games that correctly exploit it, they are already out there. There are some game titles that have superb stereoscopic support already.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Um, I love the idea of 3D games, but there is no way on God's Green Earth that I'll be spending $400-$800 for a 3D monitor.

So, see ya in 5 years, 3D gaming.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
According to the HDMI 1.4a spec, one of the "secondary" formats is 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz, with a "Frame-Pack" encoding. This means two full 1080p frames, both at 60 Hz. So if the source (GPU) and sink (HDTV) both support that format, then a aystem should be able to use it.

Don W claims that HDMI supports only up to 24 Hz at Full 1080p, but that is an oversimplification. That said, I'd sure like to have a few words with whoever on the HDMI group decided that such a format shouldn't be given more importance. Implementation of any secondary format by source or sink is optional. I'm guessing that the primary formats (which include 1080p24 Frame-Pack, among others) were chosen because they all fit within the slower speed-caps of older HDMI cables. HDMI should have required that all 1.4a-compliant sources be able to generate 1080p60 Frame Pack, but they didn't. Thank you HDMI.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Teramedia[/nom]According to the HDMI 1.4a spec, one of the "secondary" formats is 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz, with a "Frame-Pack" encoding. This means two full 1080p frames, both at 60 Hz. So if the source (GPU) and sink (HDTV) both support that format, then a aystem should be able to use it.[/citation]

I wasn't able to get 60 Hz to work, so it's probably not a practical solution at this time and I therefore didn't cover it.

If I can ever get it to work I'll certainly report so. :)

I'm curious if you can use a dual link DVI to Displayport converter to allow for HD3D at 1080p on more monitors. Has anyone ever tested this?

I'd also mention, one of the biggest advantage on the Nvidia side, is SLI support. With the increased demands, this is a pretty big advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.