Nvidia Announcements: GeForce GTX 780 Ti, G-Sync, And More

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victor raj

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
GTX 780 Ti specs may be 4GB of RAM, 2496 Stream processors, 208 Texture units, 900 core clock, 1000 Boost clock, 7GHZ memory clock. Will see how much of it are right.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

This is the same business that could have had Titan as their x80 flagship but decided to sell it at a 300$+ premium and deliver a subpar product just because they didnt "have to". If they had done that the 700 series could have possibly been much better, so as a consumer I'm not really complaining about the prices of their products but their business plan to get a few quick $$ off of the titan, instead of advancing tech they way they really should be. As a consumer I cannot support a business that I know has a product that was planed to fill a certain market, but as the competition released something that didnt closely compete, nVidia decided to over charge THEIR loyal customers just simply because they could. Now dont mistake me for a fanboy of either company, Im simply more interested in them advancing as much as they can instead of sitting back because they lack competition.

Problem is that PhysX worked before NVidia bought them as a separate add-on card and even as a lower end say NVidia GPU with a AMD GPU as a main. It wasn't until NVidia caught wind of this that they decided to remove that ability from drivers.

I understand not making PhysX work on a AMD GPU, but why can't someone buy say a GTX 640 and throw it in as a PhysX card?

Actually when Titan came out it was the best you could get, and that was for a few months. Once the GTX 780 hit, that's when Titan became over priced and pointless.

But up until that point it was better than anything AMD had. Hell it is still the only card that can play Max Payne 3 at max settings with max AA at 2560x1440 resolution. Well the HD7970 Toxic could but you can't buy them anymore (it also had 6GB of VRAM before the Titan even came out) or the HD7970 Vapor-X 6GB edition.

And every company will over charge when they can. How many AMD loyalists do you think dropped $1K on a FX 9590? Quite a few more than should. I even had a friend think it was a good CPU but when you need water cooling and it barely performs as well as Intels $350 offering, that's when you know its over priced and aimed at the die hard fanboys. Titan was as well.

And if AMD had a true Titan killer (I mean in pure performance) they would over charge for it much like they did with the first FX series and the HD 7970 when it first came out. Not until after the GTX 680 came out did it drop below $500.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
seems like they just trying play catch up to AMD, as they all butt hurt about new AMD cards that clearly better GPU's and prob going be cheaper then there overprice price gouging GPU's, i use be NV fan then realized this is what they do. lets hope mantle takes of and huge hit to give NV the final blow

my take on 780 Ti is fully enabled GK110 with performance exceeding Titan while costing less :D . anyway interesting to see what kind of price war will amd bring with 290X. if they price it 500 it will put a lot of pressure on nvidia 780

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

You've ran about quite well on my point. nVidia held out on something they should have just dropped, regardless of what AMD had, just for the pure sake of advances.

victor raj

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Timing of 780 Ti's announcement immediately after AMD's R9 290x announcement shows that Nvidia is preparing to counter AMD. Recent benchmarks for R9 290x shows more FPS than GTX 780. So GTX 780 Ti at 599$ with the new GeForce game bundle, I thought will be the perfect spot. R9 290x will be priced around 549$ -599$. I think a fully unlocked Gk110 Titan ultra will be priced at 999$ with some more memory and boost clocks. I doubt Nvidia will price Titan ultra at 599$.

Zijn

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Watching the stream now in PcPerspective and i cant wait for this G-Sync but i really cant see myself swappingout my 3 Acer monitors for these. Id love to (if i could grow money)! maybe when 4K monitors come down in price and then stick a G-Sync module in there? :D

redeemer

Distinguished

Any gamer worth is salt is running a 120/144htz screen and turns off V-sync.

G-sync targets systems that regularly dip below the 60hz threshold, and costs over $100 at the moment. When you're buying/building a system, do you spend that extra money on a better card so you never have the problems it corrects, or do you buy g-sync?

Maybe it will get life from the big spenders in the high refresh rate monitors, but its gonna take a lot of production to push that price down. The people who need this the most are the ones that are least likely to afford it.

You're funny if it was an AMD technology you would have dismissed it like your doing with Mantle!

The PhysX switch off happened shortly after Richard Huddy slagged off his former employer for not letting AMD use the AA code that Nvidia had written for the first Batman game and then he went on to slag off PhysX saying that AMD didn't really need it as AMD were working on the Bullet SDK, it was at that point that Nvidia locked them out.

And where have I said it is a game changer? Where have I been talking it up like you and others have been doing with Mantle? So far I have only said that it can be retro fitted to some monitors.

just me but i think that 780 Ti indeed titan ultra that people keep talking about. and it is possible to sell a faster card but with cheaper price than titan if nvidia wants to. they just have to lock the DP capabilities just like they did with 780.

G-sync looks compelling. No tearing whatsoever with G-sync? That's ideal. It seems like a direction all monitors and panels, in general, should head in (including TV sets).

I hope they produce these G-sync monitors at resolutions beyond the 1080p mark and 27" and larger or I can't see replacing my 120Hz monitor, since the higher refresh monitors seem to reduce perceived tearing anyhow.

I don't need IPS for gaming. I don't want the associated input lag. I want a TN monitor with G-sync in a 2560x1440 in a 30" package.

victor raj

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

I am also expecting the GTX 780 Ti to be the Titan ultra. Priced at 649$ it will be a great buy.

Warborn

Honorable
May 18, 2013
I own AMD and Nvida and I usually lean towards Nvidia. It's nice to finally see their hand. A Ti version of the 780, G-Sync etc.. sounds great, but they need to lower their prices. My guess is if they do, it will most likely be marginal at best. The r9 290x won't sell to well if Nvidia's gtx 780 (NON Ti version) sold at $550. This is just speculation of course and I'm not very optimistic about Nvidia GPU pricing... The r9 280x will sell very well for awhile (considering what you get for $299). Who knows what will happen until it happens but I still haven't upgraded my 560ti or 720p monitor and It's nice to be a perfect candidate and consumer in the price wars!

redeemer

Distinguished

The GTX 780Ti sits between the GTX 780 and the Titan correct? Judging from the benchmark @ 4k the 290x has a 23% performance edge over the GTX 780. Even a fully enabled GK110 would not be able to beat the 290x.

The 780Ti is nothing more than a Titan with 3GB Vram for how much ?? $700.

AMD has a real winner here

redeemer

Distinguished

G-Sync is meant for FPS dips, if you got good hardware and a120hz+ monitor than G-Sync is useless

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Is Nvidia drunk? Going by tests of R290X its not only faster than 780 but actually trades blows with Titan at some stuff. If they're going to release next card they should call it 880 not 780 Ti because Titan is released during 7xx generation card and if there will be something easily trading blows or even ahead of it that would huge wallslap for people who payed $1000 just for a few months to be at the top when now there will be cheaper alternative.
If they'll release overclokced 780 it won't be seen as taking a shit on the customers however if they'll put more cores in there or use damaged Titan chips it will look just like that.

G-Sync is feature i want to see in action though. I've never saw tearing in games for which i adjusted my settings, sometimes performance must be sacrificed though. So if this feature turns to be good it should be interesting to see.

If they did that then the AMD fans would just slag them off for rebadging again! :lol:

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

G-sync is meant for 120/144Hz monitors, as a matter of fact, that's all you'll be able to get unless there's an innovation in IPS technology.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Because it stopped them before, right? And as i said, they have bigger problems to worry about. Announcing new generation is better move from my point of view, the step they make looks desperate.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

The 780Ti was probably MEANT to be an 870. They dropped it to compete with AMD.

Perhaps you should get in touch with JHH and give him the benefit of your wisdom then! :lol:

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

"double the memory" Lol...
Just "google it". There are other articles.
But in your defense Tom's really didn't give much info.

A GTX Titan is a broken Telsa K20X. There is room for more performance; if say the 780 Ti was to harnesses all 2880 processors, vs. 2688(Titan) and 2304(780). Plus nVidia could enable that last SMX unit(or 2 in the case of the 780) and/or raise the clock speed.

The Titan has 7.09 billion transistors, vs. 4.3 billion for the 7970. Yet it only has 200 more gigaflops of processing power(4500 vs. 4300). It would be interesting to see the performance of a fully functional GK110 GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.