Nvidia Announcements: GeForce GTX 780 Ti, G-Sync, And More

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radeon has been cheaper since HD4000 days. if we go by your theory AMD should dominate nvidia in terms of market share right now

Aug 6, 2013
Some people are going to be cheezed. Some people are going to be very happy....

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/169719-nvidia-announces-gtx-780-ti-and-deep-price-cuts-in-response-to-amd-r9-barrage

Over the past month, AMD has restructured its entire product line with deep price cuts and a new GPU launch. The R9 280X and R9 290X (at $300 and $550 respectively) blew Nvidia’s price-performance ratio out of the water, with the GTX 770 stuck at $400 and the GTX 780 at $650. A response was inevitable, and this morning Nvidia let fly its own salvo. Beginning immediately, the GTX 770 takes a price cut down to $330, the GTX 780 drops to $500, and the upcoming GTX 780 Ti will launch on November 7 at $700.

I fall into the latter group.

tiltedhat

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Is nobody upset that Nvidia just dropped through the floor on their prices? Everyone is talking about how awesome it is. They just ripped all of their supporters heads off for months for no reason other than greed. I have ALWAYS been an Nvidia fan so don't get me mixed up here. I'm no AMD fanboy. I just feel humiliated for supporting a company that made it blatantly obvious that they are chasing the cash. If AMD did not release the r9 290x do you think they would have lowered anything? They created the $1k ceiling with the Titan and they would have been happy to hold it. All of the sudden the competition releases a serious card for $550 and miraculously the gtx780 goes from $750 to $499 within a day? Not to mention Nvidia all of the sudden decides to release pricing on the gtx780ti (early reports say it rivals/ beats Titan) at $699. How can they continue to do that and nobody cares? They obviously think that their customer base are complete idiots and they are turning out to be right. Do not worry everyone, Nvidia is releasing the gtx780ti soon and, because it's a fraction more powerful than the $550 r9 290x or the $499 gtx780, it will be $200 more because they want to squeeze every dollor out of your pockets for supporting them. And guess what, plenty of you are going to buy it knowing that they could care less about you as a consumer and loyal customer. The only company that came ahead here is AMD for showcasing a flagship card at $550 when they could have easily charged $699 when the gtx780 was still $750. We all know Nvidia would have done it.

Aug 6, 2013

Companies gotta make a profit? :bounce:

Prices have not come down one cent/yen here in Japan on the late afternoon of the 29th October; yet it is today the prices are claimed to drop.

The GTX780 is still priced at around $750+ US (in Yen) on Amazon Japan. The Titan is priced at up to $2,000 today (in Yen).

So much for press releases. :sarcastic:

P.S.
If you bought a GTX 780 when they fist came out, all it has cost in price difference (IF the price drops at the shops) is just over a dollar a day.

Is that too much?

Warborn

Honorable
May 18, 2013

WRONG. If we go by my theory, nVidia will lose customers if they don't lower their prices. I've made that clear in all of my posts. I've even guessed a $550 GTX 780 specifically.
10/19/2013 Page 2 of this forum

"Warborn said:
I own AMD and Nvida and I usually lean towards Nvidia. It's nice to finally see their hand. A Ti version of the 780, G-Sync etc.. sounds great, but they need to lower their prices. My guess is if they do, it will most likely be marginal at best. The r9 290x won't sell to well if Nvidia's gtx 780 (NON Ti version) sold at $550. This is just speculation of course and I'm not very optimistic about Nvidia GPU pricing... The r9 280x will sell very well for awhile (considering what you get for $299). Who knows what will happen until it happens but I still haven't upgraded my 560ti or 720p monitor and It's nice to be a perfect candidate and consumer in the price wars!"

10/29/2013
It's kind of funny how the going rate for a GTX 780 is about $549 as of today isn't it?

I don't get what gets peeps upset about rebranding GFX cards.....As far as consumer's concerned..... no different from Intel's "tick tock". It would simply be too expensive to bring a while new die to market every year. 1st year they get platform stable, 2nd year they tweak it.

As far as the 780 Ti early release of an 8xx board, it just doesn't fit. If ya remember, many pundits wrote articles speculating that after seeing the performance of the 7xxx series, nVidia revamped their lineup down. Their planned 670, the speculation went, was then released as the 680 ..... the 660 as the 670 and so on..... If they were right, nVidia had a design "sitting on the shelf" and merely tweaked it as they did for the 6xx to 7xx move. No way to know for sure without a confirmed leak but it certainly sound more feasible than an early 8xx release.

Couple of more "How come's ?":

1. How come when peeps talk about overclocking a 2nd tier card to get close to a top tier, everyone seems to forget that the 1st tier card can be overclocked too ?

2. How come when peeps talk about new drivers making a card more competitive, it's not considered that the other guys have new drivers too ?

3. How come power, heat and noise is a consideration when one's favorite company comes in 2nd .... but when the situation is reversed with a new generation, those issues suddenly don't matter anymore ?

4. Why the outcry when one manufacturer drops prices .... in this instance on the 7xx series, but silence from the same side when the 7xxx series dropped in response to the introduction of 6xx ?

5. How come when one side has a feature that the other don't, it's a feature that "doesn't matter".

Why do manufacturers charge what they do ? "Cause they can" . It's simply a matter of perceived value. If one card costs X and another costs Y, if the consumer sees the value of the feature / performance difference between the two cards as greater than the difference between price X & Y, they will buy the higher priced card.

Warborn

Honorable
May 18, 2013

I think rebranding is good for the most part. GPU refresh, possibilities for new coolers etc... I think the people that are against it have the money to buy the "latest and greatest" thing out so they where hoping for something new.

The voice of reason.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I always love people who whine "if they don't drop prices - they will lose customers!" Those are the people that generally have no clue what it costs to produce X widget and have money to develop Y widget down the road. Funny - those whiners are generally the ones that want something for nothing.

"If you don't drop you prices I won't buy from you!" Wah, wah, wah. Then don't. Nvidia has the largest market share for a reason - damn fine products and great customer support. Not saying AMD is a slouch, just don't complain about cost and make these idiotic statements that a company will lose customers without constant price adjustments. Those adjustments will occur naturally in time as the best and brightest products are released making the previous versions less desirable. Pretty standard stuff.

Aug 6, 2013

I still cannot get my GTX 780 to play 3D Blu-Ray movies on an i7 Z87 rig running W8.1 pro and an Asus VG278H monitor gig via a Panasonic/Buffalo 3D Blu-ray drive.

So, maybe NVidia need to make a better player than the disgusting mess that Cyperlink produce?

Add some added value (where more customers [at a slightly lower price]) helps the company as a whole)?

How many problems do people have to overcome to appreciate the value of certain products?

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

I am not sure that is a response to my point about losing customers if a company does not drop prices. You're talking about added value for extras that, to be honest, are not something I think is important for a 780 - watching movies. That's a gamer's card in my opinion. Of course I am not saying it shouldn't do other things, but not all products can be all things to all people.

Expecting a product to perform exactly the same way, for different applications, with different rigs, with vast differences in user ability is a pipe dream. I understand your point - but my rig runs bluray fine with a 780 - just sayin'.

Aug 6, 2013

The GTX 780 is not just a `Gamers card` as it CLEARLY Advertises itself as being Great for 3D movies.

Anyway; my rig runs Blu-Ray disks just fine also; but I also have a 3D monitor and you don`t.

So, if you dont think you can help, then perhaps you should consider not commenting?

Anyway; (to assist ANYONE out there with a similar issue) I found and fixed the `hidden` problem.

1) The GTX780 (nor any GTX `gaming [3D movie] card`) does not play `stereoscopic` 3D Blu-rays (as advertised) without Cyberlink 13 ULTRA (around $100 Extra).

2) The ASUS VG278H `stereoscopic` 3D Monitor does not play 3D Blu-Rays (as advertised) without Cyberlink 13 ULTRA (around $100 Extra) .

3) The Panasonic `stereoscopic` 3D Blu-Ray drive does not play 3D Blu-Rays (as advertised) without Cyberlink 13 ULTRA (around $100 Extra).

Some of us have time to catch a 3D movie between games; and notice that when you buy a 3D Blu-Ray player for your TV you dont get jacked for another $100 when you get home to download software to play the damn thing in 3D. Customers the world over would be real angry if that happened; but it appears PC hardware manufacturers & distributors like to keep a lid on certain information.

Alles klar? :)

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Wait you hijack a thread for your own problems with your rig and give me a hard time? Wow. Funny how it took you one day to realize your rig cannot do what you want it to do and it ain't all Nvidia's problem.

Aug 6, 2013

No hi-jack here.

Did you hi-jack this thread bondfc11? To explain what sort of poster you are?

Let me refresh, as you appear to have problems comprehending what happened.

I noticed a widespread problem with cards like the GTX 780 Ti and others (which this thread is about ["and more"]?) and related to NVidia (GTX) advertising, and a widespread `issue` I was affected by (as are many thousands of other people), and then I looked for, and found, a solution; and will share it here.

1) When you buy a 3D Monitor (such as the Asus VG278H [`full` 3D kit]) advertising itself as playing 3D movies (and games), it is a bit misleading. You need more than the 3D Monitor, 3D emitter, & 3D stereoscopic glasses. @ around $450.

2) When you install a 3D Blu-Ray drive (such as the Panasonic &/or Buffalo 3D internal drive) advertising itself as able to play 3D Blu-Ray movies, that is a bit misleading. You need more than the 3D Monitor, 3D emitter, 3D Glasses and 3D Blu-Ray drive and software it comes with. @ around $200.

3) When you buy a GTX 780 advertising itself as able to play 3D Movies, it is a bit misleading. Being as you need more than
a 3D Monitor, 3D emitter, 3D Glasses, 3D Blu-Ray PC drive (& included software), and 3D graphics card (such as the GTX 780) to play 3D Blu-Ray movies via your PC internal 3D Blu-Ray Drive. @ around $650.

4) Note; With the 3D Blu-Ray drive you get a set of software called Cyberlink 10. It does NOT play 3D Blu-Ray movies.

5) You HAVE TO BUY Cyberlink 13 ULTRA software SEPARATELY ONLINE (you could be screwed if you dont have a credit card etc); and that software (Cyberlink 13) can cost between $60* and $100+. Depending on when or how or where you buy. Or if you get the disc rather than a download version. Assuming you want to play movies `offline` on an `offline PC`.

XXXX Cyberlink 13 ULTRA. Not supplied with any of the Hardware advertising itself as able to play 3D movies.

No Other PC software in the world seems to play 3D Blu-Ray movies on the PC.

QED: Some corporate bloodsucker seems to have a MONOPOLY on 3D Blu-Ray software for PC`s. Whether for a GTX 780 Ti or any other top shelf GTX graphics card.

Consumers/customers dont have to go through that cr@p when you buy a 3D Blu-Ray player for a 3D Tv (no extra $100 bill to play the movie in 3D).

The software, if it is required, should be part of the hardware. The same as when you buy a TV, you dont have to pay to download any software to play it. Neither for your Tv 3D Blu-Ray player.

QED... (now I shared the solution [for a product NVidia advertise as `Play 3D Blu-Ray MOVIES]) *

Many people may find the information useful over the years of looking through threads like this. :)

Thanks also for your input. It really helped everyone out. Did it?

(* = 16-million pages of small print)

tiltedhat

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I understand companies making profits obviously. We are not assuming either of these companies are non-profit organizations. I'm just saying there is a difference between turning profit and over-charging to the point of blatant greed.

And a dollar a day is insane depreciation. On e $30k vehicle it's not much, but on a $700+ purchase, that's 10% depreciation every 2.5 months! That's a little ridiculous.

Aug 6, 2013

Did you ever think that in a few hundred years, if you keep a few classic examples, and pass them down through the generations, in safe storage, that they may have large `Antique` valuations; in the same way as some old clocks?

Even my old Marvel comics from 1973 went down in price then waaaaay up in price.

Seriously, here in Japan, you can see people advertising old/mint Asus cards for up to a million Yen ($10,000). Not sure if its is a tax fiddle or a business though.

Status
Not open for further replies.