Nvidia Announces $141 Million Net Loss in Q2FY11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Low consumer demand? Err ATI couldn't build em quick enough when they launched the 5000 series.[/citation]
Well since ATI had a large head start I can see demand being low for Nvidia, since everyone already has ATI cards :p

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I hope they recover. We need the competition.
Radeon 5xxx cards did not go down in price until Fermi arrived (horribly late) on the market.
I am very concerned about the Tegra strategy of the company. Nobody seems to be interested in the product yet they are working on Tegra 3. And AMD is apparently going to ship Ontario APU's at the end of this year... I really would hate to be in Huang's shoes right now.

[citation][nom]Suddzin[/nom]The losses were due to AMD/ATI selling superior hardware. Period.[/citation]

I think its more due to the fact that they were too focused on Intel and didn't look at ATI or focus their efforts on Fermi.

In raw performance, Fermi is not that bad. But price/power kills it. Maybe if they spent more money on Fermi and less on artist to draw Intel comics they would have done better.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I put 5k in NVDA when it was 16$ a share. It is now worth 9$ a share, I am pissed. I will ride out the **** storm, but I am apparently horrible in picking good company's to invest in. Sigh.

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I think thats because of losing the lawsuit to Rampus and poor supply of its late consumer graphics, things just arent going good for nvidia this quarter but I doubt this will continue beyond this year

brennon7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I LOVE THE GTX 480s I have purchased....I used to be an ati fan but i'm a full convert!!! If you don't believe me check my youtube videos out. youtube.com/atieyefinity

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I believe anything since g92 has been lack luster. Ati has cleaned up their drivers for the most part and they have the best sweet spot out there. 100-200 dollars. Unless playing above 1080p what is the point to buy $250+ video card. At that point you are in the business to buy into SLI or Crossfire. Then two GTS250 or 5770 will do nicely and scale very well. The whole Crysis engine to me is unoptimized garbage. Reminds me of what farcry used to be as a benchmarking tool. The API needs time to develop and mature before those types of games are worth a damn.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Maybe this will be the slap in the face they needed.
They need to get their **** together, lower their prices and make a product that does not require a small nuclear reactor to power it up.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]Maybe this will be the slap in the face they needed.They need to get their shit together, lower their prices and make a product that does not require a small nuclear reactor to power it up.[/citation]

You're right, before this, they had no motivation whatsoever to make a good product. They didn't even try, why would they?

Only now do they realize they should make a good product. Before, good product, sucky product, who cares? It's not like they'll lose their jobs, or create stockholder unrest, or be embarrassed, or live with shame if they keep making inferior products. Hmmmm, then again ...

Whatever issues NVIDIA is going through, it's not motivation. That's plain wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of theirs, and I refuse to buy anything with any part that they sell in it (I've had too many problems with their garbage, particularly chipsets), but they are in a very, very bad situation, and will be going out of business soon unless they do something drastic, like buy VIA.

AMD can make a GPU that works very well as a GPU. That's all they need to focus on. NVIDIA has to somehow make the CPU less important, and make programming the GPU easy, and very worthwhile, in non-graphics situations. If they don't, they realize the discrete GPU is going away, or diminishing in importance with Intel and AMD moving more and more towards integration with the CPU. NVIDIA can't play in that game, so they try to change it, and make the GPU a more important part of the system, not just for graphical tasks. On top of this, they like to make huge monolithic dies that perform better than the best AMD GPU, without considering power and cost to produce as much as AMD does.

Put it together, and you have a GPU that fails miserable for GPU tasks.

They need to buy VIA, and integrate a CPU/GPU just like AMD and Intel, instead of trying to change the game, which they can't do because they are too weak.

If not, they'll be dead soon, which is what I really hope for. I don't think I've ever hated a company as much as NVIDIA, not only because they make crappy, buggy products, but also because the bombast and disrespect they use when competing with other companies.

And before someone whines that if they go away, ATI will charge more, etc..., that's not necessarily so. They would still have to convince people to buy a discrete card, which will get more and more difficult with CPU integration and the improvements there, and Intel still might enter the fray. Also, it's obvious that discrete cards are going to lose sales, and if ATI can sell a lot more cards, it helps lower the development costs per card.

Either way, with sales tanking for discrete cards, prices will go up, and while the market shrinks, it's not clear if it will remain big enough for two players. AMD/ATI can't go away. NVIDIA can.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]You know I almost didn't read this article because i had a feeling there would be a lot of ignorant comments at the bottom... Total lack of surprise, here they are. I say wait till the next quarter or maybe the one after that to truly say if ATI spanked Nvidia or not. At the very least understand that balance sheets arnt black and white...[/citation]

Yeah... Nvidia still hasn't finished releasing their CURRENT set of GPUs in its entirity, and ATI already has a 2k10 release date slapped on their NEXT set. If ATI is beating Nvidia now, just wait til this winter. I almost feel bad for Nvidia.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Suddzin[/nom]The losses were due to AMD/ATI selling superior hardware. Period.[/citation]
Yeah, but now ATI needs to fix their driver software

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Ahh man, I've always been a fan of nvidia (I've been using their cards since the MX 2). But in the past few years, they're cards just aren't cheap enough for the performance they offer. That's why I got a HD4850 last year, think back to last year. Which nvidia card could perform as well as the HD4850 for the same price. None.

Skip to the present time. GTX480, GTX470, GTX 465 are all overpriced, hot, power hungry and EXPENSIVE!!! Even the GTX460 will get beaten by the HD5850 with a little price drop.

I hope nvidia can get through this phase (I know they can!). They're good cards are good but they're bad cards are really bad. :(

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]jamie_macdonald[/nom]*Watches the ati fanbois roll em out* lolwhile u do that i'll be happy with my gtx480[/citation]
Glad you are happy, but I prefer mine hd5870 bought at launch day.
It have slightly lower performance, but at cost of almost half power used and much lower temps.

I am not fanboy, used both brands, but true is ATI have at moment better product to offer, since hd4xxx I never had overheating issue with GPU which is quite relief compared to last 3 nvidia graphics card I used (5600 6600 and 8800 all of them having overheating issues)

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Ouch, Ati however I assume did better? I dont know the numbers but it seems that AMD is saving Ati from the get go and the cypress and all the other radeon 5xxx chips are killing Nvidia due to its impeccable price per preformance ratio. Being almost 8 months ahead in terms of releasing a next gen product really helps.

Nvidia took too much time tweaking its smaller gpus like the ion and tegra that they lost a huge market share, i wonder if this will help in the long run...

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
One thing for sure, there are more ppl that use "smartphones" and handheld devices with small cpus and nowadays onboard gpu's, so if tapped right, Nvidia would eventually have the upper hand and in the long run win the mass market. The consumer "gaming" market is NOTHING compared to the ppl that use cel phones, handheld devices, or smartphones.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I am a fan of CUDA (as i use it for scientific computing) but the cost of GTX480 for games is just way too high for the mainstream. Call me naive but if they halved the price they might sell more than twice the volume so increase the profit over all.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
SLI two GTX460 cards and get more performance than a single GTX480, and the single GTX480 is more expensive than two GTX460 you know the sales department at nVidia stuffed up big time; Consumers aren’t fools (unless you think like Apple)

Status
Not open for further replies.