Nvidia CEO: Apple Uses the Best Technology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006

Someone needs to tell this guy that Nvidia chips wont work with Intel's next generation processors, and unless Apple switches to AMD (which they wont, and even if they did they would probalby use AMD's own chipsets) its a loss for Nvidia.

G

From Apple's Site on their New Imac

"Upgrade to top-of-the-line graphics.

The ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor delivers up to 4x faster performance than the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M — ideal for 3D games and graphics-intensive applications.3 For the ultimate in graphics performance, choose a 27-inch iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor."

Apple is so dedicated to its customers it calls a previous generation mid tier graphics card "the ultimate in graphics performance"; and it is not even an Nvidia card!

It does not surprise me that his whole family uses Macs, they are made for stupid rich people.

G

Apple's Core performance imac sports a core i5 750, not a core i7 chip. Don't be mislead by core i5/i7 though, the imacs are limited to lga 1156 chips. Because of that, you can automatically rule them out as the performance kings.

G

Should have seen this one coming! Now Nvidia, could you please cut the chit-chat and give us something worthwhile. Something along the lines of a gt300 or whatever your new "killer" GPU will be. I can't hold on forever and my new up coming build will be with a 5870 unless you strike back with some value.

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
You Mac-haters are really funny. Have you missed that iMac is a monitor PLUS a computer in the monitor case?

Look at your PC tower. And now look at your monitor. Now try to figure out how you can put your PC's power supply, motherboard, heatsink, fans, hard drive, DVD drive - in your monitor case, leaving the monitor insides there too. The fact that Apple have managed to squeeze i7 quad core and ATI 4850 and the required power supply there is just amazing.

I bought my first Mac just a year ago, because I've decided to program an iPhone app (I'm a programmer). Before that I was a PC user for 15 years. Now I use PCs and Macs. I appreciate flexibility of PCs, and I appreciate engineering talent of Apple. By the way, my Macs have slower CPUs than my PCs, but they feel as fast as my PCs or even faster, because (1) Mac OS X is not bloated as Windows and (2) Mac OS X uses GPU differently from Windows (it keeps all GUI in the GPU memory - Windows keeps it in the main memory and transfers to the GPU all the time).

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Why even bother making such statements. The educated know that this is all PR, and the not-so-educated simply don't care to even try understanding it. I wish Jen-Hsun Huang would stop the verbal wars and get to work on great products for all.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]as soon as i saw the title i knew it had to be marcus yam....i just knew it.[/citation]
Chill out and stop with the Marcus Yam hate - it's so 3 months ago...

ant1-b0dy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
@serkol
You do know Dell and HP have similar Core i7 "all-in-ones". The fact is most people DON'T want an "all-in-one" if they have the space and the smaller budget.

OSX "feels" faster since its based on Linux. In Linux, unused RAM is wasted RAM, so it will devote ALL resources to its crappy wow-oo-shiny effects.

On the other note: I was a long time nvidia user; but im off to AMD/ATi now.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"all Apple."

So... Mr Huang I got a good question for you.
If all are Apple in your household does that mean that you are representing Nvidia and yet telling us you are not even a gamer? Cause I dont expect you to be playing much on your Macs. I would really love for an interviewer to ask him so I can know if he is an idiot or just talking out of his ass for the shake of the current fighting Intel crap.

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]Best technology huh? then tell me why when I was pricing gaming laptops between alienware vs apple, granted for two different laptops with the same cpu/ram/ssd I was supprised they were priced within 50 bucks...EXCEPT the apple comes with a 9600m gt graphics and the alienware comes with crossfired 4870's?! for 50 bucks less!I know its alienware/dell but i used it to prove a point.[/citation]

Did he really just use "gaming" and "Apple" in the same sentence?

omgwtfbbq rofl!

jerfle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
How much do you think Nvidia makes on chipsets versus video cards? Apple uses alot of integrated graphics. So exactly how many times can you upgrade that nvidia card inside your apple? With a PC you drop in that new card and away you go. How would that effect there bottom line?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Ugh... Macs are just PC's with higher end PC parts and a propriortory operating system....

The only difference is branding, exterior look, and probably customer support. Otherwise one will spend an extra $500-$1000 on a Mac just to get a Mac.... and to say they "only get Macs"......

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
@manos
I also use only AMD and ATI in my PCs, which I build myself and overclock, but I use them mostly because I want to support my new home country Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.