News Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Yes, you are right, and I have given a similar idea in the past. There is a reason why NVIDIA didn’t fix the problems with the RTX 3090 launch when they already knew what happened with the RTX 3080 launch. The same problem is going to happen with future cards, and it is done on purpose. Think about it. A big company like NVIDIA is definitely up to something before the Big Navi launch. They make strategic decisions to increase their profits, especially timing them in response to their competitor. Sure they can find out what the demand is by communicating with their customers and having some sort of pre-order, but they are not going to do that.
I agree they should have allowed preorders, but disagree they can properly use that as a means to gauge demand. In order to have enough lead time for any useful data, they'd have to open preorders long before reviews were available which is really sketchy. That still probably would not be accurate because either most people would wait for reviews before deciding to order or you get a bunch of people preordering then the reviews are disappointing and people cancel their preorders in bulk.

That's exactly the point though, isn't it? The 2080 Ti was the best gaming card during its era, so even if it was expensive in terms of performance per dollar, it wasn't bad value if you wanted outright performance. Today, because the 3080 is both cheaper and has far superior performance ("value is based on what else is available a the time"), the value of the 2080 Ti should be dramatically diminished. However, because the 3080 is nigh-impossible to obtain, the 2080 Ti isn't actually all that poor of a value (particularly if you already have one), because the 3080 isn't available.

People were selling 2080 Ti's for bargain prices on eBay leading up to the 3080 release, but if you look at completed auctions this month, suddenly they're selling for $900+ again.
That's a fair point but the problem is that it encourages nVidia to keep pushing the prices of video cards higher into the stratosphere. Now, if there was a very specific need that ONLY the 2080 Ti could fill other than satisfying someone's ego, then that would be different but all I saw when I looked at the 2080 Ti was a marketing experiment that nVidia did to see how much they could squeeze out of fanboys. Did it perform? Sure. Did it perform as well as it should have considering what it cost? Absolutely not.

Now, I could understand paying a premium if it did something that no other card was capable of other than just higher frame rates. The reason for this is that top cards ALWAYS gave the highest frame rates but didn't cost anywhere near $1200. What nVidia learned from this is that they can just keep squeezing and squeezing and people will pay it. It drives up the price of cards for everyone when this happens because, as we saw, the prices of nVidia's entire stack rose with the x80 now more expensive than the x80 Ti used to be.

Jim90

Distinguished
Nope. You can ask any big retailer - and all of them will tell you the same: they had plenty of stock at launch - even more than at prior NV launches - but the demand is just crazy this time.

And....nope...that would be incorrect. I have spoken to a number of large retailers (I have significant contacts) and they all say the same thing...stocks given to them were "extremely low".

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I have to wonder if there would be adequate GPU supply if scalpers weren't buying out all the MSRP stock and then holding it hostage at higher prices. Seeing the claims of "more traffic than on Black Friday" is a huge red flag to me that there are extreme levels of market manipulation in play.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
And....nope...that would be incorrect. I have spoken to a number of large retailers (I have significant contacts) and they all say the same thing...stocks given to them were "extremely low".
According to this video, time stamped to the relevant point, this particular Microcenter received 85 3080's for launch and 26 3090's. That seems like a pretty decent number for one random retail outlet.
View: https://youtu.be/fN8G5eESqmM?t=150

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I have a question if you people don't mind,

Why do people buying a overpriced GPU every year? To me it is basically same card with a tiny vram increase, almost same as the iphone releases. It is almost like some people obsessed with NVIDIA, myself using a GTX 1060 since years now and never had any issues. Most games nowadays does not even require 4GB or barely.
so what's the point? I'm just asking, no offense to anyone. Plus there is always a downside pre purchasing things or purchasing in day one, cmon now everyone knows that.

What actually happens when you get a RTX 3090 in day one? Would you really spend a plenty dollars for a 4090 founders edition too next year? again?

Why do people buying a overpriced GPU every year? To me it is basically same card with a tiny vram increase, almost same as the iphone releases. It is almost like some people obsessed with NVIDIA, myself using a GTX 1060 since years now and never had any issues. Most games nowadays does not even require 4GB or barely.
so what's the point? I'm just asking, no offense to anyone. Plus there is always a downside pre purchasing things or purchasing in day one, cmon now everyone knows that.

What actually happens when you get a RTX 3090 in day one? Would you really spend a plenty dollars for a 4090 founders edition too next year? again?
It's because it's a big jump in performance, bigger than a typical generation shift. There's alot of us running our 1000 series cards at 2k resolutions, then this 3080 comes and we can play at 4k as opposed to 2k with higher frames.
The people who are getting the 3000 series cards are probably gonna wait atleast until 5000 series comes out to upgrade, or atleast, skipping a generation inbetween seems to be the way to do it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why do people buying a overpriced GPU every year?
-Because they can, regardless of whether it's practical or not.
-Fear of missing out.
-To avoid the possibility of being socially alienated. Perhaps you've heard about the nonsense with kids bullying one another online in Fortnite because they didn't have certain skins?
-E-peen and bragging rights.
Things like that.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Oct 6, 2020
This is mostly a stock price problem, something Huang knows how to manipulate well. It's obvious they have no supply and Samsung can't make enough to even satisfy even a low to moderate demand. The reason retailers saw so much traffic was people kept refreshing pages over and over all day hoping to see a restock that never came. If they bought and left the "traffic" would have been normal. If Huang is pushing a Demand problem over and over again, you can bet it's a Supply problem. That's exactly what Wall Street does not like to hear. It will be interesting to see how much better TSMC and AMD handle their launch later this month. My guess is it will be closer to what people perceive as normal, and they will sell a lot of cards.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
Turing launched at the end of the GPU mining bubble. Nvidia didn't predict the timing correctly and ended up with huge stock piles of 10 series GPU's. There were rumors that Nvidia was forcing 10 series GPU's onto AIB's in exchange for better allocations of Turing GPU's. That isn't the case this time around and Nvidia had time to properly wind down Turing production and get stock levels down before Ampere was sort of rolled out.
Exactly, and wasn't that a summer launch, precovid, without millions of people with stimulus money, tons of spare time and really no outside sources of entertainment. They don't have tons of turing cards in stock they were backordered most of the summer and they did a pretty good job on keeping the supply chain going with an imminent launch. But I think it's a strain on manufacturing with container ships being quarantined in certain places before loading / unloading.

Oct 6, 2020
I was lucky enough to purchase a 3080 founders off the NVIDIA site but I had to use a discord server that had a notification bot and they dropped them at midnight.

Oct 6, 2020
According to this video, time stamped to the relevant point, this particular Microcenter received 85 3080's for launch and 26 3090's. That seems like a pretty decent number for one random retail outlet.
View: https://youtu.be/fN8G5eESqmM?t=150
The problem is this is the big microcenter and its the only real place you could get them in store. My friends microcenter said they got like 12 and half were sold before the store opened.

Oct 6, 2020
How does a guy like Jensen Huang make CEO is the real question nobody seems to be asking. "An abundance in demand" is a bunch of bs. Why not simply admit the truth on supply and demand (not just demand) and the reason for allowing bots to wipe out your very small inventory? Not to mention, they threw Best Buy under the bus, not one Best Buy warehouse had actual cards.

I don't think this is much of a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention to hardware releases this year. Personally, I can wait, I have a good enough system to play anything I want for at least a year. I won't wait quite that long to upgrade, but I also won't overpay for something none of the applications I use or games I'm playing will make use of. Everything I play right now hits at least 144 FPS on my monitor's QHD resolution, most of them with their settings maxed. Next year there are some titles that won't do so well, and that is the time for me to upgrade. Waiting is easy when there's going to be no visible improvement by spending money.
What games are you playing?

Oct 6, 2020
How does a guy like Jensen Huang make CEO is the real question nobody seems to be asking. "An abundance in demand" is a bunch of bs. Why not simply admit the truth on supply and demand (not just demand) and the reason for allowing bots to wipe out your very small inventory? Not to mention, they threw Best Buy under the bus, not one Best Buy warehouse had actual cards.
See people complain about bots but it really is just demand. I was able to get one manually when it was listed and so were many of my friends.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
So how did multiple people in this thread get cards from Best Buy on launch day if Best Buy never got any?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ixsgxo/has_anyone_got_their_3080_from_best_buy_yet/

I normally skip a generation or 2 .
If you buy upper mid range 70 series cards will last 2 or 3 years before showing signs of any slowing down in games.
I also wait about 6 months before adopting new tech. Let the early adopters work out the bugs and kinks first.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I agree they should have allowed preorders, but disagree they can properly use that as a means to gauge demand. In order to have enough lead time for any useful data, they'd have to open preorders long before reviews were available which is really sketchy.
They would never allow pre-orders because they have no intention of meeting demand! All the hallmarks are there - huge price/performance boost - power PIG - squeeze TSMC with Samsung a second supplier - botched 3080 launch - folks this was rushed to Market!

This is a move to suppress demand for AMD next-generation cards! It's an early pre-announce before their yield is high enough and their profit large enough to support volume production! So they are essentially shipping demo cards mostly to reviewers and a few cards a week to every outlet and That's all folks see you next year!" - Jensen Huang

This whole thing feels... like a setup. I wouldn't put it past Nvidia and their egocentric CEO to purposely short stock just so he can rest on his laurels while AMD gets ready to come to market. Once that happens, and depending on how truly competitive their Big Navi series of cards happen to be, we'll see what comes next from the Green GPU Machine. Could it be those 20GB 3080s we've heard about? Could it be something else?

I suppose we'll see soon enough. Either way, Jensen wins; he has literally no f*cks to give about any of what's said in the interim from the publlic about stock shortages. He's never cared before, so why should he start now? If he actually cared, he would have ensured that there was twice as much stock available on launch than there actually happened to be.

I think the real reason here is that Nvidia originally expected to be selling these cards for significantly higher prices than they ended up doing. I wouldn't be surprised if they got their hands on RDNA2 hardware (or at least performance and pricing data) at some point, and discovered that the hardware was better than expected, and that AMD was going to wipe the floor with them if they priced the card that ultimately became the 3080 close to the 2080 Ti's price point, and the card that became the 3070 close to the 2080's price point. That would have still given them a "relatively decent" ~25-30% performance gain over the hardware they launched two years prior if the 3080 had been marketed as a "3080 Ti" for $1000, and the 3070 as a "3080" for $700, but instead they decided to price them at a level where it should have been clear that supply wasn't going to keep up. Even if they just priced these cards $100 higher than they did, demand would have still outstripped supply, so the only reasonable explanation for why they would be throwing money away is that they knew it was necessary to avoid looking bad compared to the competition.

That could also explain why the 3080 and 3090 have much higher TDPs than is generally the norm. They may have originally been planning to give them TDPs more in the 250-300 watt range, but decided they needed to push the chips closer to their limits to keep them as competitive with AMD's hardware as possible, even if that meant outfitting them with abnormally large coolers. It should be pretty clear that they're concerned about the competition, whether that's AMD or eventually Intel. Intel is likely still some time away from launching high-end consumer graphics hardware though, and that could have always been handled with a "SUPER" refresh at a later time, so AMD is likely the one they are concerned about.

Reactions: Jim90

Jim90

Distinguished
I think the real reason here is that Nvidia originally expected to be selling these cards for significantly higher prices than they ended up doing. I wouldn't be surprised if they got their hands on RDNA2 hardware (or at least performance and pricing data) at some point, and discovered that the hardware was better than expected, and that AMD was going to wipe the floor with them if they priced the card that ultimately became the 3080 close to the 2080 Ti's price point, and the card that became the 3070 close to the 2080's price point. That would have still given them a "relatively decent" ~25-30% performance gain over the hardware they launched two years prior if the 3080 had been marketed as a "3080 Ti" for $1000, and the 3070 as a "3080" for $700, but instead they decided to price them at a level where it should have been clear that supply wasn't going to keep up. Even if they just priced these cards $100 higher than they did, demand would have still outstripped supply, so the only reasonable explanation for why they would be throwing money away is that they knew it was necessary to avoid looking bad compared to the competition.

That could also explain why the 3080 and 3090 have much higher TDPs than is generally the norm. They may have originally been planning to give them TDPs more in the 250-300 watt range, but decided they needed to push the chips closer to their limits to keep them as competitive with AMD's hardware as possible, even if that meant outfitting them with abnormally large coolers. It should be pretty clear that they're concerned about the competition, whether that's AMD or eventually Intel. Intel is likely still some time away from launching high-end consumer graphics hardware though, and that could have always been handled with a "SUPER" refresh at a later time, so AMD is likely the one they are concerned about.

Wise words indeed.
In a sea of Nvidia-paid excrement in these forums, it's refreshing to see a logical analysis of the facts. In the end, all true consumers want competition. We finally have that with CPU's and now it's looking like we'll finally have that in abundance with GPU's. Well done AMD. All those pushing blatantly paid messages - and there are many here - should be banned. Over to you Toms, Guru3D etc etc.

g-unit1111

Titan
So everyone is saying that 1 year ago when this chip was started in the fabs as first silicone, Nvidia should have known how the corona virus would effect demand for computer parts.
Fab time is contracted out 1 or more years in advance for large companies.
There is no way Nvidia could have known then that the demand for their new cards would be this massive.

Now seriously how could they have known this a year ago? Coronavirus wasn't even a thing until last November, so there's no way they could have planned ahead of time.

Reactions: Unolocogringo