News Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raddoctor

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
I count myself lucky I got all the preorders I set out to get this year. PS5, XBOX Series X and an RTX 3090FE. Wasn't easy but I was persistent. I wish everyone luck in the future getting the Ampere cards. Hopefully Nvidia ramps up production.

jasonf2

Distinguished
It's because it's a big jump in performance, bigger than a typical generation shift. There's alot of us running our 1000 series cards at 2k resolutions, then this 3080 comes and we can play at 4k as opposed to 2k with higher frames.
The people who are getting the 3000 series cards are probably gonna wait at least until 5000 series comes out to upgrade, or atleast, skipping a generation inbetween seems to be the way to do it.
I can attest to something else here. The 2000 series cards vs the 1000 series cards were not that much of a performance jump with a big jump in price. So someone like myself with a 1080ti I could not justify a 2080ti for nothing more than a minor performance boost. While neat a mostly unsupported new toolset called RTX meant little to me. Jump ahead to the 3000 series cards and the performance gain against my 1080ti even at the 3070 level has me on the fence. The fact that I can pick up ray tracing is just icing on the cake. This goes for individuals in the 2000 series era as well. So while many of us refresh we skip generations. There are better ones to skip and I felt that the 2000 generation was a complete pass for upgrade.

As to the why do people pay crazy money for flagship video cards. As a builder who has put about every level of card in a machine over the years that one is a no brainer. Game developers make their best settings based on current flagship cards. So if you want to play games on a computer at the best fidelity level with the smoothest play you have to buy a flagship card. With the release of each card generation the bar moves up. So to continue to play current games at the best settings you have to upgrade pretty regularly. A fast computer is like a fast car: Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, completely unnecessary, and fun.

Oct 11, 2020
First off the 3080 was raped by board partners trying to cut corners and offer the card at MSRP when they clearly used cheaper parts that were not able to meet standards set by Nvidia. Second, even with board partners cutting corners, like they have always done, there should be no reason for a shortage of cards like we are seeing unless A.( The card was not ready for release at the time ), or B.( The company is artificially creating a shortage of cards so that consumers who are on the fence will be more likely to impulse buy once the supply increases...) Either way, we are being lied to, and it is wrong. I have been an avid Nvidia customer for a long time and have been disappointed the few times in my life when I chose to purchase an amd graphics card, but things like this make me rethink my choices. especially when you hear about board partners scalping cards to resell at double MSRP....

filipberlin36

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
Hey since we have so many experts here (no, not joking ;) ) this extreme shortage over such an period can not be something what happens to a company which wants to sell as much as possible now or?! I mean I get both sites, but Nvidia really didn't make much new friends when the time between 20-Series first information about name and first 2 models release date and price was made public, they really did a lot to prevent any real leaks about the (non-RTX, DLSS etc) performance gain, also price for the 2080 Ti and 2080 was high compared to the 1080 Ti which came as the last of the 10-series card, than the 2070 and even 2060... you all know it, and its good that the cards didn't sell very well, I first thought "Maybe they learned something from this" when I saw the data for the coming Amperes... but if its that paperlaunch it seems to be, they maybe don't really... they noticed that many people don't have so much money left and created all these Ti and Super even for the "16-series" where they could use old parts not needed and make a competition for AMD's cheap middle-class or upper low-end GPU's for nice FHD gaming... but as more people than I thought still use the 10-series,

here ofc the 1080 Ti this is really a "Upgrade"-Generation, also the 2nd RTX... the first of a new tech is almost never good, but now for the future it is sure not bad, and maybe even once for AMD will reduce the price for RTX-cores or so, but Nvidia seems like Intel to don't care about the users opinion... as long as they sell enough, and there are some fanboys...

I didn't play now for a long time so I will get old with my Ryzen 7 2700X + 1070... but maybe one day I want to join, next year maybe and for sure not in January or February... but can a company like Nvidia, somehow the "King" for Gaming GPU's really fail to produce enough cards? Are there some reliable "neutral" sources about the demand which Nvidia says is the main reason for the shortages?! I mean ofc even with the usual recommended prices in USD exchanged 1:1 to EUR (+ heavy taxes added) which we are used to the card at ~700€ for the Founders Edition (3080) or a bit more would be very good. I think it will be a bit higher as partner cards you could see or can pre-order (most shops here removed this function as it doesn't make sense now, 1 shop allows pre-oders for 850-890€ for partner cards, and 1 guy is offering worldwide some cards, partner cards and founders edition for over 2000€, partner cards often ~2250€ + (2500$ +...),

I mean are there numbers about how many 2080 Ti and 2080 were sold back than at their release?! I mean when even a guy like me finds it very interesting to see the 3080 its working, but sad I learned a new word or its meaning ("Paper launch"?). The bug that caused crashes (Igors Lab showed energy peaks of up to ~580W for extreme short periods which caused the apps to crash even with his 1200W Platinum PSU... this was fixed, an insider quote said that for this they used the data of the "few thousand [3080 or + 3090?!] FE sold and delivered so far to fix the problem", few thousand sounds hard... but today I did read about a game which will be released now or just was, but a patch for optimization with 3080/3090 will follow as the company couldn't get a single card to do it...

how long would it take to increase the production if we would say "24/7" at 100%, even if the costs for weekend or god knows what are a bit higher?! which parts are the most difficult? Would be interesting to know how many of the sold 2080 Ti owners who got panic before release after price/performance and release was posted and sold the card really did send it away and are now without card or maybe an older not sold crap card?! most search for "RTX 3080" leads to 2080 offers at close to 700€, large companies try it with 699.95€ or so... if people don't lose patience it should go down fast, dont know the paper launch price for 3070 and its performance compared to 2080 (Ti or Super) but I think even a 449€ 2080 Ti than would look bad, and this time even the FE seems to have a really good cooling system and even style? too bad it will be propably one of the cards of which only very few are available compared to the partner cards...

I mean if Nvidia would offer their Nvidia only partners something like "you offer the cards for +75€, we get 35€ and you keep 40€, we will make sure that the demand for partner cards will be high by keeping FE sales low", would it be illegal? I mean this prices they "recommend" or whatever never really counted for me, they steal in exchanging currency, forgot 19% VAT in Germany (now only 16% for that year temporary, even didn't think about that lol, around 20€ more if the card goes for 700€ now"

Could AMD step on the gas and bring its RX 6000-Card aka "Big Navi" which is "close to 3080" faster? I mean the price can't be really much worse, the power consumption I think should be lower per cuda core or whatever, someone wrote about it, that this will maybe give that card a larger room for OC as they have to compare themself in some tests against OC Gaming cards which already use the full potential, ok in the US electricity is only 0,12 USD per kWh... we have more like 0,35 USD per kWh, really didn't expect that, I mean my 1070 uses 150W, but 320W and 350W is really hardcore :D maybe the coal and gas industry is paying them? :p

Is the demand (serious one, people who would buy right NOW if available) more like in the single millions worldwide, or just entering 2-digit millions? Maybe even with miners (I think they still "mine" and mine for bitcoins etc?!) maybe even in the larger 2-digit million area? For them like for most ofc only the 3080 is an option and maybe some will even wait for a 3070 if they want to run it outside Norway or Iceland if its using much lower and is also cheaper... I hope they don't kill the desktop gaming pc sector even faster than smartphones and other tech will do in the coming years...

oh and does GDDR6X (in this case) VRAM really compete with "normal" RAM production and/or even with smartphone RAM production or is this argument that all these new 12GB and good 8GB RAM smartphones driving prices for DDR4 and coming DDR5 and GDDR6X up just crap?!

Last edited:
This whole thing feels... like a setup. I wouldn't put it past Nvidia and their egocentric CEO to purposely short stock just so he can rest on his laurels while AMD gets ready to come to market. Once that happens, and depending on how truly competitive their Big Navi series of cards happen to be, we'll see what comes next from the Green GPU Machine. Could it be those 20GB 3080s we've heard about? Could it be something else?

I suppose we'll see soon enough. Either way, Jensen wins; he has literally no f*cks to give about any of what's said in the interim from the publlic about stock shortages. He's never cared before, so why should he start now? If he actually cared, he would have ensured that there was twice as much stock available on launch than there actually happened to be.
I mean, as far as first world problems go...
this isn't really...
well.. you know lmao