News Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
Seriously? You can't just admit that you wanted to be first to market so you rushed a launch with the expectations of correcting the supply after a few weeks. Theres no way 10's of thousands of these are selling out in MINUTES. Yes I understand there is a higher demand right now for high end computing because of people being forced to build workstations for home .But this is complete BS

Reactions: bigdragon and Jim90

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not virus, but yes. They've launched cards before and know all about the demand curve and demand from alternate markets such as mining and ML. They could easily have anticipated equal or greater demand compared to the 2080 or 1080 launches which both went this same way.
Newegg claimed they saw more traffic than for Black Friday. They saw more traffic for one $700-800 video card than for Black Friday. That's insane. And no one could have predicted that much demand except for all the Monday morning quarterbacks on message boards.

Reactions: Chung Leong
Oct 5, 2020
Newegg claimed they saw more traffic than for Black Friday. They saw more traffic for one $700-800 video card than for Black Friday. That's insane. And no one could have predicted that much demand except for all the Monday morning quarterbacks on message boards.
Yeah, we don't really know much. And hardware is HARD. Even retailers said the same things last time.

Heck, maybe they did plan properly and ordered enough to saturate the market on day one. They have a whole team dedicated to demand forecasting and supply chain, so either we have to believe they're bunglers or the problem is something else they don't want to divulge. For all we know they just have super low yields on the core. We've seen that with CPUs.

Last edited:

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019

I'm guessing a lot of non-hardcore gamers are opting for the top-end part because they don't have other avenues to spend their entertainment dollars.

jasonf2

Distinguished
All I can say is congratulations to Nvidia. They are being called immature as a company and lambasted for selling out their product, which everyone still wants. This is kind of the thing that all companies hope to do. The computer hardware game is all about timing and while I am sure the Nvidia could have waited to have a card for everyone in stock before launch the impeding big Navi launch and the holiday season drove for an early launch.
Marketing performance numbers are always way more generous than real world benchmarks so there is no surprise that some of the early marketing is a little overzealous against user benchmarks. These things are still pretty amazing cards. Even with the backorder these cards will performance position themselves to block AMD and its upcoming big navi unless AMD pulls some real magic out. Early speculation at this time is the big navi is a 2080 killer, not a 3080 killer.
What big navi will more than likely do is create a value proposition. So by early release Nvidia will be able to hold early margins on the 3070/80 that they may not be able to do once AMD releases. AMD is not afraid of pricing low to get market share and they should have a pretty compelling offering coming up. Nvidia will have to tit for tat on pricing and release "super" variants once it starts so getting ahead of the game is just a good strategy position. I have no idea how many of these things were actually ready to go at launch but this is why paper launches happen.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
If you thought you were getting an Nvidia CPU at these crazy low prices you are a fool! Nvidia is just as crooked as Intel - they don't have enough yield - or they are not cost-competitive - so they advertise vaporware and dribble out a few hundred units a week onto the market - at a small loss - just to deny sales to AMD!

Intel did the same thing with their five gigahertz chips - they advertised them like bananas and then sold only a few hundred a week - mostly to reviewers! - because they could not get yield!

All this creates an aura of shortages and high demand when in fact the supplier is just crippled and is trying to slow sales to their competitor!

Last edited:

dragondagoth

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I did some digging around. The gaming community was not doing well two years ago when the 2080 Ti was released. They reported a 45% drop in sales. They had a lower than expected turnout for those new (at the time) GPUs. Moreover, they were trying to get rid of the GTX 10 series cards they had in stock during the release of the 2080s.

I'd wager they're having similar issues trying to push out sales for the overly priced 2080s they still have in stock, along with outside vendors. However, they're going to want a return on investment, opposed to sitting on stock they can't get rid of. So we, pretty much have what we did two years ago. GPU trackers for the 30xx series GPUs with people complaining about how fast they're selling out, and prices continuously going up.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I did some digging around. The gaming community was not doing well two years ago when the 2080 Ti was released. They reported a 45% drop in sales. They had a lower than expected turnout for those new (at the time) GPUs. Moreover, they were trying to get rid of the GTX 10 series cards they had in stock during the release of the 2080s.

I'd wager they're having similar issues trying to push out sales for the overly priced 2080s they still have in stock, along with outside vendors. However, they're going to want a return on investment, opposed to sitting on stock they can't get rid of. So we, pretty much have what we did two years ago. GPU trackers for the 30xx series GPUs with people complaining about how fast they're selling out, and prices continuously going up.
The 2080 TI hit the supply and demand curve problem. Nvidia pushed the price so high that demand fell off. This lead to side development/release of the 1600 series cards. The biggest mess that we have right now is that we used to have 5 cards (50,60,70,80, titan) topping out at around 1200 bucks. Now with entry level variants (1600 series) the whole thing is pretty confusing and it tops out at 2500+. This has happened just since the 1000 series. Nvidia has grossly inflated flagship pricing with AMD trailing performance.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
If you thought you were getting an Nvidia CPU at these crazy low prices you are a fool! Nvidia is just as crooked as Intel - they don't have enough yield - or they are not cost-competitive - so they advertise vaporware and dribble out a few hundred units a week onto the market - at a small loss - just to deny sales to AMD!

Intel did the same thing with their five gigahertz chips - they advertised them like bananas and then sold only a few hundred a week - mostly to reviewers! - because they could not get yield!

All this creates an aura of shortages and high demand when in fact the supplier is just crippled and is trying to slow sales to their competitor!

Wow. Tin foil hat time boys.

Reactions: BaRoMeTrIc

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Turing launched at the end of the GPU mining bubble. Nvidia didn't predict the timing correctly and ended up with huge stock piles of 10 series GPU's. There were rumors that Nvidia was forcing 10 series GPU's onto AIB's in exchange for better allocations of Turing GPU's. That isn't the case this time around and Nvidia had time to properly wind down Turing production and get stock levels down before Ampere was sort of rolled out.

Reactions: BaRoMeTrIc

Aggrophobic

Commendable
Oct 6, 2020
I don't think this is much of a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention to hardware releases this year. Personally, I can wait, I have a good enough system to play anything I want for at least a year. I won't wait quite that long to upgrade, but I also won't overpay for something none of the applications I use or games I'm playing will make use of. Everything I play right now hits at least 144 FPS on my monitor's QHD resolution, most of them with their settings maxed. Next year there are some titles that won't do so well, and that is the time for me to upgrade. Waiting is easy when there's going to be no visible improvement by spending money.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I dont remember having too many issues buying 1080tis. They need to fix this. Either way best bet would be to check retailers. Stores should have stock available in store for in store purchases this will mitigate the issue of bots although i've seen bots in human form buying these up in videos. Its this COVID thing. Once covid is gone the world can go back to its normal routine and i'm sure the next launch will be better. This only amplifies the issue where people say this is the NEW norm. No it isnt. If consoles can sell millions of consoles in a day this shouldnt be any different. Nvidia is turning into the APPLE of GPUs. Lets hope AMD sinks jensons battle ship. I really want that to happen so he can get off his high horse and start thinking real hard like intel currently is.

Reactions: Jim90

Thomas Wells

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
All I can say is congratulations to Nvidia. They are being called immature as a company and lambasted for selling out their product, which everyone still wants. This is kind of the thing that all companies hope to do. The computer hardware game is all about timing and while I am sure the Nvidia could have waited to have a card for everyone in stock before launch the impeding big Navi launch and the holiday season drove for an early launch.
Marketing performance numbers are always way more generous than real world benchmarks so there is no surprise that some of the early marketing is a little overzealous against user benchmarks. These things are still pretty amazing cards. Even with the backorder these cards will performance position themselves to block AMD and its upcoming big navi unless AMD pulls some real magic out. Early speculation at this time is the big navi is a 2080 killer, not a 3080 killer.
What big navi will more than likely do is create a value proposition. So by early release Nvidia will be able to hold early margins on the 3070/80 that they may not be able to do once AMD releases. AMD is not afraid of pricing low to get market share and they should have a pretty compelling offering coming up. Nvidia will have to tit for tat on pricing and release "super" variants once it starts so getting ahead of the game is just a good strategy position. I have no idea how many of these things were actually ready to go at launch but this is why paper launches happen.
Thing is buddy now they've forced a pretty large chunk of their own fan boys to seek out alternatives. I know that quite a few of my friends and I are going red this time around. We won't be sorry.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Thing is buddy now they've forced a pretty large chunk of their own fan boys to seek out alternatives. I know that quite a few of my friends and I are going red this time around. We won't be sorry.
The only way RDNA2 is going to be readily available at launch in this current market is if it is complete garbage. So, good luck with your strategy, and not being sorry.

Reactions: jkflipflop98

Jim90

Distinguished
Supply issues aren't something a publicly traded company can lie about, since that obviously affect the bottom line. Intel got sued for securities fraud when it took its time acknowledging problems with 7nm. For Nvidia, the stake is massively higher since it's trying to acquire ARM.

ADDENDUM:

According to Nvidia, revenue outlook for Q3 2021 is $4.40 billion (compare to $3.87 in Q2). As far as I know, the company has not issue any warning. If Ampere is running into supply issues, then how the heck do they make the target? You can't make half a billion off a paper launch.

Don't add to the current smokescreen. Nvidia obviously have serious supply issues - no sane company would create a demand for a demonstrably improved product then withhold that product and allow a competitor's new releases access to the full market by choice!! Nvidia's problem is clearly in production - whether through product 'correction' and/or an inability to mass produce in the numbers they seek. No one will get sued in withholding full disclosure if the delay length is 'legally reasonable' i.e. short!
AMD are clearly in an excellent position to capitalise, and continuing 'leaks' of RDNA2's performance points to conversion of even the hardcore Nvidia fanboys. Remember also how raising prices to shocking levels, particularly with the 2080Ti, fared very poorly for Nvidia - one of the additional reasons they have reduced the 3080 in relative price by so much (one of the other reasons is that they already know how good RDNA2 is).

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020
Nvidia have problems - and it's clearly a production/correction issue rather than this smokescreen Jensen's laying.

Nope. You can ask any big retailer - and all of them will tell you the same: they had plenty of stock at launch - even more than at prior NV launches - but the demand is just crazy this time.

Oct 6, 2020

Dude - you are just making stuff up! 🤦

Reactions: jkflipflop98

McGaz

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
I do believe this is a case of supply not meeting demand. Maybe they weren't prepared, maybe covid hit, maybe the demand is just crazy. It is a major improvement in graphics performance and it's now wonder so many people want one. nVidia hasn't increased the price of their founders card, so (so far) that rules out them just trying to make more from it.

I'd say we're in a better position now, to have seen reviews and the like and can't buy one, than if they'd just held back stock until January.

We just have to wait... it's not that hard.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I have been building computers since the early 1990's and this isn't my first time to this rodeo. I have used well over a half dozen brands of cards over the years and seen the merger and acquisition game reduce the field from probably thirty to two. I have used AMD cards and Nvidia cards. On both sides I have had good and bad. Quite frankly Nvidia is where it is at today because they have led on performance and they do a pretty good job of keeping their drivers stable even though they are expensive. My experience with AMD has been less than stellar. I hope that they can get it together this time around. I quit running AMD last time because of driver issues and driver support, not price, performance or availability. Other than the capacitor issue, which has already been addressed both on a short term software and a near term hardware fix by card manufacturers all I am hearing is complaints about not being able to get one quick enough. Neither Nvidia or AMD own their fabs. So they are at the mercy of really either TSMC or Samsung for production. Everyone likes to make up some story about how one made the other one mad but an objective person realizes that there is only so much production available on the planet and it has been pretty well maxed for a while now. All fabless chip design companies are facing production availability problems right now. Intel's production node issues, Apples move to ARM and AMD's market share gains in the X86 world are further compacting the problem as production has shifted more and more to TSMC. AMD will have the same problem if their new product line is a hit.

Personally I never buy any new hardware on launch day. I have been bitten once or twice and learned to let the smoke clear for a little bit to make a choice based on real world feedback and get the first batch glitches ironed out before I buy.

I have also learned over time that on any given launch day there is always someone in the forums who says they are going with the competitor for what ever slight they have received by the release.

Sep 30, 2020
Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang reveals that the company expects shortages of its GeForce RTX 3080 and 3080 graphics cards to last until the end of the year.

Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021 : Read more
The supply chain is stretched. Subcontractors can be left having to make the decisions on who to support.

From my first hand perspective and I cant legally say much, the consoles have been getting the most support lately and that also extends to the PC card derivatives.

D

Deleted member 14196

I think that people aren't thinking clearly about this. It's not like nVidia is some new kid on the block, they know exactly what they're doing. This shortage is clearly by design to increase demand and I don't get it. There are so many grownup babies that think their life is over because they can't get a... video card. Well, if that's true, they didn't have much of a life to begin with did they? LOL

This is one of the worst product launches that nVidia has ever had with prices spiraling upward and generational performance bumps tanking. It's pure marketing that's making people want these Ampere cards and people are falling for it hook, line and sinker. People were set up by nVidia with how horrible the Turing series was just so that the (mediocre at best) launch of Ampere would look phenomenal because people can't remember that not long ago the top-tier Titanium card (GTX 1080 Ti) was only $699 while the "80" (GTX 1080) card was only $599. Now the top "80" card is $699 which means that nVidia is jacking the prices right under everyone's nose and they're not seeing it. Initially, I said "BRAVO!" to nVidia for a great launch but then the independent benchmarks came in and proved that nVidia's launch was full of half-truths, special phrasing and specially selected words. I pointed this out a few days later and got attacked by the fools (which, to be fair, I expected) but I got my vindication right here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOnWT9U96g
Right on. They didn’t fool me either. And I can’t understand why anyone would pay these prices for a video card

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Sep 18, 2020
There is an easy way to not be surprised by demand ... let people pre-order them. I get that not everyone who wants one will pre-order them, but I'm sure there is some data or algorithm you can use to extrapolate from pre-order data. This whole mess seems like it would be solved by letting people pre-order, then retailers just fulfil in the order they came in. No worries about bots or whatever. Keep the limit to one per address/CC/user/etc in the beginning. Am I missing something?
Yes, you are right, and I have given a similar idea in the past. There is a reason why NVIDIA didn’t fix the problems with the RTX 3090 launch when they already knew what happened with the RTX 3080 launch. The same problem is going to happen with future cards, and it is done on purpose. Think about it. A big company like NVIDIA is definitely up to something before the Big Navi launch. They make strategic decisions to increase their profits, especially timing them in response to their competitor. Sure they can find out what the demand is by communicating with their customers and having some sort of pre-order, but they are not going to do that.

Reactions: systemBuilder_49
Yes, you are right, and I have given a similar idea in the past. There is a reason why NVIDIA didn’t fix the problems with the RTX 3090 launch when they already knew what happened with the RTX 3080 launch. The same problem is going to happen with future cards, and it is done on purpose. Think about it. A big company like NVIDIA is definitely up to something before the Big Navi launch. They make strategic decisions to increase their profits, especially timing them in response to their competitor. Sure they can find out what the demand is by communicating with their customers and having some sort of pre-order, but they are not going to do that.
Y'all are reading way to much into this when what we have to do is the same regardless of what did happen, is wait for restocks. Just chalk it up to production and take it at face value.