Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mr91

Distinguished

Titan X with an OC will beat 970 in SLI in some games... It's possible that the 1070 will beats the Titan x by a bit however we will need to wait until the benchmarks to confirm.

http://videocardz.com/59962/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-final-specifications-and-launch-presentation

during official launch they will not.

Thomas_115

Commendable
May 13, 2016
ok so here is the thing, I upgraded my pc with r9 390 STRIX and kind of happy with it. NO this 1080 comes and I am thinking should I just sell my r9 390 and go for 1080 or should I stay with this 390. Because according to Nvidia, 1070 n 1080 will be much better than Titan X and that is something.Any suggestions?

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

when you say kind of happy do u mean u were happy till u found out ur 390 costs as much as the 1070? lol its okay! i returned an r9 380 nitro i never opened and didnt want buyers regret.

the way i see it, once reviews come and a front runner and some solid 3rd partys put out stuff then make ur decision and know that u wont have to upgrade for awhile

Thomas_115

Commendable
May 13, 2016

"u were happy till u found out ur 390 costs as much as the 1070?" :/ Yes exactly. This bugs me alot. :'(
Yes i do know I am fine and dont need an upgrade but a card more powerful than TiTAN X and cost like 390 then I want it ASAP.

KillSwitch07

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015

Most people are like this, I always want to upgrade my build constantly and stay on the cutting edge. Then i have to make myself realize; what i have now is fine, it does what i need it to do and will for a good year or two to come. Everytime i go to purchase something for my pc i have to second guess myself because its like "yeah my 390/970 will run all the games i play maxed out on 1080p but ohhh new hardware that has bigger numbers, better sell my current stuff for a 35% loss to buy the new stuff i didnt need in the firstplace. "

Thomas_115

Commendable
May 13, 2016

Y u did this to me. This was something I didnt need to know :'(
Sure 390 can run all games maxed out for 2 to 3 years but its 1080. Better than TITAN X. One must have this cauz winter is coming. Must have this before winter LoL :pt1cable:

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

lol winter is coming. and the only thing we have to say to death is..not today

You are forgetting the US does not list prices with local taxes because of the way different states tax stuff. In the UK (and most places around the world) you have a unified tax for technology in the Country. In the UK's case it's 20% (for now). For California, I think the tax was ~14%?

Cheers!

PS: Your spacing is horrible. It really breaks the readability of your post.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's a good question and we won't know for sure until we see the cards. $100 is a big premium but the cooling seems to be top notch and a solid overclocker.

custom cards should be cheaper but as always the high end custom cards will cost way more than normal cards. like the asus strix, evga ftw, gigabyte g1 and so on. those always cost a premium over the other cards. they are gonna have to compete with the founder's edition now and not just each other.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd expect better myself with the crazy high end cards a good bit higher. 2.5 ghz does not seem too crazy to me for the evga ftw and other super overclocked cards. all depends on how the chips overclock. they are already much higher than we have seen before so it's possible that 2.1 is already pushing it near the max.

tomorrow tomorrow, i love ya tomorrow, you're only a day away...........

ShertheLove

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Here's what I'm hoping doesn't happen, but I see as a possibility:

As we know, $599 is the MSRP while the Founder's Edition is $699. From what we've seen, the Founder's Edition is plenty capable of overclocking while keeping cool temps (per Nvidia press conference).

What I'm hoping doesn't happen is that the Founder's Edition is basically the premium performance range. This would mean that the $599ish cards will run at the base clock and have slight overclocking capabilities, making them the new "reference" performance range cards. However, the board partners will still release custom designs, but won't see much of an increase in performance since the Founder's Edition is already close to maxing out.

Hopefully that makes sense how I explained it.

TLDR - $599 equals "reference" performance of the past while $699 is basically the start of the premium cards.

Thoughts?

Care to prove that?

That leaked benchmark is probably also at stock speeds, so i don't think it's unreal that 2 980s being overclocked in could beat it, but 1600 points sounds a bit much.

Nvidia said the Founder's aren't special cards, they're just cards with Nvidia's reference cooler priced at a level that gives the 3rd party manufacturer's plenty of room to still sell their cards without feeling they are actually competing with Nvidia for card sales.

If you want an nvidia reference card, there's a $100 premium cost on it basically.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from smoggy12345 : "GTX 1070/1080 & Nvidia 'Fast Sync'"

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Doubledigit12 : "non reference 1070s released on same day as reference?"

ShertheLove

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

The other question is what Nvidia's end game is by charging a premium for the reference design. Also, what's the margin difference for the board partners selling the reference design, that can be greatly overclocked, and designing/testing their own boards and coolers (we'll probably never know this). They might be able to factory overclock the Founder's Edition the same extent they can with their own designs.

Perhaps it's Nvidia pulling their own MS Surface products. MS said they weren't "competing" but just showing what could be done hardware wise with the software and now look at the Surface line. Nvidia's end game could be selling directly to consumers and retailers and cutting out some board partners. Currently, the Founder's Editions are still sold by the board partners, so the board partners still get a cut.

ShertheLove

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

I understand the concept of the Founder's Edition cards, but this part of the article helped:

"These NVTTM cards of course have the "reference cooler" installed. All of these NVTTM cards are also built by NVIDIA, usually either by Foxcon or Flextronics, that also happen to build a lot of NVIDIA's professional workstation Quadro cards. All of these cards built by NVIDIA are put together with exacting standards in terms of PCB quality, power component and other circuitry quality, cooler quality, sound profile, and packaging. I have literally been told for years, that NVIDIA either breaks even or loses money on NVTTM/reference cards sold into the market."

Perhaps this is Nvidia's way of trying to make a profit on these cards rather than breaking even or losing money. Additionally, this says Nvidia themselves contracts out the production through Foxconn or Flextronics. Afterwards, the cards must be sent to board partners for packaging and distribution in addition to handling warranties for customers.