Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

All of the FE cards are experiencing thermal throttling.,,, both the 1070 and 1080 See the 2nd image below comparing the FE with the Gaming X for the 1080 ... orange line (FE) is all over the place ... blue line is a proverbial pancake/.
http://videocardz.com/60838/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-is-much-better-than-founders-edition

MSI-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-clocks-vs-temp.png

GTX-1080-FE-clocks-over-time.png

NVIDIA’s own reference design suffers from severe throttling just after few minutes. It probably wouldn’t be that bad if not the frequency spikes. While average clock is somewhere around officially stated boost clock, those spikes cause micro-stuttering, which negatively affects gaming experience.

Hardware.info:

Founders Edition suffers from a horrendous amount of throttling and it runs +- 150 MHz lower all the time.

Meanwhile, MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X generates almost a straight line for GPU frequency (~1910 MHz), with no spikes and rather constant sub-70 C temperature. This should mean that the gaming experience will be much better, and card should theoretically generate better results in most tests. Also according to H.I. this is also the best custom design they so far tested.

Question is, does it lead to stuttering gameplay? Using FCAT, Guru3d was able to test for that.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/fcat_geforce_gtx_1080_framepacing_review,6.html
as you can see, there are no stutters recorded. This is perfect rendering (frame-time wise lower is better). At the end what you see is a scene change, it is not an anomaly.
index.php

Overall we can say that the GeForce GTX 1080 performed exemplarily in the ten FCAT tests we ran it through. Three out of ten tests were DirectX 12 enabled as well. The end-score is a whopping 10 out 10, all games passed our examination easily without any noticeable stutters or anomalies, and that is pretty terrific if you ask me.

SLId mix of thermally throttled FE and a MSI Card ? The MSI OCs to 2088 Mhz, he's in the 1600s . The game selections appears that there was an agenda going in. he shows 36% scaling, sites are showing in excess of 100% w/ the 980 Ti in some games.

In addition,

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-2-way-sli-review,1.html

Before we start please read this a HUGE note; this will be article is revision one. The early 368.25 driver does not seem to support SLI for the majority of games, hence we'll look at a handful of games in this preliminary revision of the article first, once a proper final SLI supporting driver is out, we'll add the rest okay ? So this is us jumping the gun to push some results out, not blaming Nvidia.

TheRhodian

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I think it's safe to ask here!

I live in the Netherlands a GTX 1080 is around 676-776 euro, so 676 seems really cheap because a GTX 1070 is around 517 euro (I am talking about custom boards from partners.

A MSI: Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 is 517 euro on pre-order and a GTX 1080 from MSI gaming is 776
A Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 8GB however costs 659.50 and is around the cheapest a man can get a GTX 1080.

Now 659.50 for a GTX 1080 vs the 517 for a GTX 1070, it does not seem that much a price difference so I am tempted to jump on the boat and pre-order the Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 8GB

However I guess prices might drop, or is it a guaranteed drop? Because right now most other custom board partner designs are far far far more expensive than the founders edition I mean some it is expected they are more expensive a MSI Sea Hawk for example, but the more well known designs are already far over the founders edition model price.

So do you guys think the price will drop when there is more chips availible for board partners? Cause now there is a shortage maybe, what do you think? My videocard is dying slowly, so I got about a month to wait, but probably it take longer for the price to drop is there any advice for me?

Thanks!

Metalwell

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015

I am waiting for your informations about 1070

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
What sore of prices are the US looking at with 1080 in $. I just had a look on Amazon and was shocked to see $800-900 for an FE 1080.

I thought it was going to hold around $600.

I was initially thinking $600 would equate to $400, but we have to pay £600. Yet it seems like the US markets are going to charge a premium for the 1080.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

starting on it right now :D

@JackNaylor that is the review i remember seeing but could not locate again. was starting to think i was going crazy cause i could not find it again. somehow i forgot about this site and the fact they were testing a bunch of cards already. will have to add those review links in :D thanks for finding that for me !!

king3pj

Distinguished

Those aren't the real prices. Amazon allows third party sellers. Those high prices you are seeing are people who were able to get their hands on a card taking advantage of the low stock and trying to make a profit off people who don't want to wait.

The regular Founders Edition price in the US is $699.99 and I am starting to see a few brands in stock at that price every day but the price gouge sellers haven't gone away yet.

The thing that makes me laugh is that some of these people are trying to do the same thing with the 1070 now. I have seen Founders Edition 1070 listed for $700-$800. It doesn't make sense because certain brands of the Founders Edition 1080 have been in stock since the 1070 launched yesterday. Who do they think they are going to sell these price inflated 1070s to when the 1080 is available for the same price or less?

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

VAT is not the only thing you have to consider on an imported ware but the price is floating around that point. The cheapest 1080 I can find goes for a bit less than €660 which roughly equates to £520.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this is a pretty solid 1070 sli benchmarking i am looking at right now http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-preview-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-sli-benchmarked?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=suggested%2Bread&utm_campaign=Preview%3A%2BNVIDIA%2BGeForce%2BGTX%2B1070%2BSLI%2Bbenchmarked

includes 1080 sli in the charts. they have 2 FE cards and the actual new sli bridge from nvidia. some pretty impressive scaling for the 1070 at higher settings and resolutions, which is where it would be needed anyway. not complete review but enough info to make some interesting conclusions.

Other than Bit-tech, the 1st places I look for GFX card reviews is Guru3D , Techpowerup and UShardwareinfo ... if they don't test overclocking, I'm not going to bother to read it. Cautionary tale about SLI... Guru3d reported that the current driver is not handling SLI properly. OK, that's not unusual soon after release, but I am starting to wonder if something else is afoot. let's remember that in all the big titles, with the 9xx series, scaling was 92 - 96% ... the 980 Ti sometimes broke 100%.

OTOH, we know that SLI has been a double edges sword for nVidia.... SLI as always just better than CF, not from a perfomance but a usability standpoint so it was a wise choice for nVidia to push the technology ... But AMD is no longer nVidia's competition, nVidia is.

Two 560 Tis were 40% faster and $100 cheaper than the 580
Two 650 Tis were faster and a fraction of the cost of a 680
Two 970's were 40% faster than a 980 and cost the same.

So, the 970 sold like the begeezes and the 980 languished, and....

a) Obviously, nVidia makes more on the high end models than the lower tier.
b) nVidia took significant steps to nerf the performance of the 970 by reducing its throttling point by 5C below the other cards.

So when I see ....

a) No competition from AMD
b) Drivers that just don't seem to be coming up to speed
c) 1070 prices well above the "release price"
d) Scaling dropping from 70% average, 95%+ in AA titles for the 9xx series to half that in early testing

Ya gotta wonder of nVidia is dragging their feet a bit on addressing the driver's SLI issue as noted by Guru3D.

Before we start please read this a HUGE note; this will be article is revision one. The early 368.25 driver does not seem to support SLI for the majority of games, hence we'll look at a handful of games in this preliminary revision of the article first, once a proper final SLI supporting driver is out, we'll add the rest okay ? So this is us jumping the gun to push some results out, not blaming Nvidia.

SLI support does not seem to be fully enabled just yet with the current 368.25 WHQL driver. So the results on that we'll add in a later update

The other issue, one that I have oft mentioned in response to "faster memory doesn't matter" posts ... is that yes many things might not matter if the bottleneck is somewhere else. While many games don't do better with faster memory because the GPU is the limiting factor, switch to SLI and all of a sudden, the results change with more GFX powers.

I think we are starting to see a landmark event here. The speed of the 10xx series has jumped so drastically, while CPU performance has remained relatively stable for several generations, we are running into CPU limitations with the 10xx series.

If it's the CPU bottlenecking, that's not a failing of the SLI technology. It also raises a question as to where does the 1080 Ti go ? If the 1070s in SLI are topping out at say 40% scaling ...and the 1080 is 20% faster than the 1070, then the 1080 ti may hit the same ceiling. The 980 Ti was 25% faster than the 980 .. or about the same as two 970s in SLI. If two 1070s are being curtailed by CPU limitations, can we expect the 1080 Ti to be all what the 980 Ti was ?

Where doe that leave me ? On hold :)

It's totally a CPU bottleneck since the scaling improves as they increase the resolution. That's always been the misleading part of dual GPU benchmarks, the weaker cards always appear to scale better due to the CPU bottleneck.

melenie

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Yeah all this drama with sli atm has me thinking and it's made me decide to go the single 1080. If sli works out for pascal 10 series later down the track I can always add another 1080. But for now, a single 1080 is the safe route and still going to provide a very decent amount of raw power.

Seems like they are finally addressing the issue of killing off their top tier cards with the baby brother so they have intentionally caused sli issues and are making it drag it ass around the floor.

You watch....the day the radeon RX 480 releases...there will be a nvidia driver update which addresses current sli issue lol

Nvidia with its ~80% market share sets the standards that game developers will follow. If Nvidia only supports two way SLI, then that's all the game developers will support. Doesn't matter if you run AMD or Nvidia, two way Crossfire/SLI is the highest future games will go in terms of official optimization.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is ALWAYS drama with sli, and always will be. this is why many suggest not bothering with it. the potential performance gain is rarely worth the headaches it can be for the average user.

i am only looking and posting what i find because others want the info. i personally will never do xfire/sli and don't care about the benchmarks for it. it is a niche market that does not interest me at all. i am not biased against any site and won't limit myself to a few. i scan a ton of sites every day and post what i find. it's up to you what you chose to read and what you ignore. if you don't like a site, then ignore the post from it, but who am i to decide what is good and what is not and what you do and don't get to see here?? i am certainly not going to try and filter things to my liking. goes against all i believe in :D

but for the sake of providing what people want to see, i will post reviews i find on the topic. i do thank you for mentioning a couple sites i did not have in my list. will add them to the list and see what they have to offer as well.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
how outdated or under performing would your CPU have to be to bottleneck a GTX 1080 anyway? My brother has an i7 920 and it runs perfectly fine with his GTX 980, no bottlenecks at all