Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lawyerson

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I'm getting a 1070 from MSI. Is there any reason not to get the cheaper Aero version if I don't plan to overclock and won't push the card often?

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
What I experienced in the past about pre-ordering, is they get them sooner if you pre-order. If you wait for them to get the stock it takes longer. I shop with Amazon and they always end up sending me a message saying stock arrived sooner than expected.

mr91

Distinguished
Nvidia states that premium materials are used. This was also said with the Titan x.

Read the description for Titan x and 1080 founders. This is coming from nvidia, these coolers are expensive and the electrical components used on the cards are high quailty...

# 1 the reference founders cards are using high quality metals and thermal paste. I'm assuming the capacitors and chokes are also top quailty. I had the Titan x and now the 1080 founders and can attest these cards are of premium quality.

Gigabyte references Titan x, capitors and chokes on their extereme gaming line...

Basically with the premium materials the cards could potentially last longer. There are also non reference cards that are premium However they will have similar prices, some being more expensive.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

yup drivers have fixed these issues a while ago. it's part of buying day 1 like anything else. you're basically beta testing drivers and compatibility with other programs and utilities for them. all electronics work this way but it is more pronounced when it is a heavily desired item since any little flaw gets blown out of proportion. many cards have has fan surging issues and other stuff that needed driver and even bios tweaks to fix.

if you don't want to beta test for nvidia or amd then wait a few months to buy the cards. will give them time to identify and fix these issues.

Just be careful with marketing terms. Every single component inside a Video Card has electrical properties you can go and research how they affect the performance in the area they are used. Plus, a "premium material" does not translate to "everlasting component" either.

I know I am being pedantic, but it is important to not buy all the marketing crap nVidia and AMD throw at you. For all we know, "premium" for them is just "more expensive" and not "better electrical properties".

Cheers!

@Cmarison

Remember this is new gpu on newer node. Something similar happen during 40nm and 28nm node transition. Don't be surprise if AMD RX480 will face similar issue when they officially launch by the end of this month.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
shows fired by EVGA at MSI and ASUS for the "tweaked bios" cards they sent out. i find it funny myself http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/1494-pr-evga-hits-asus-and-msi-with-wysiwyg-page-over-1080-bios/

and an asus strix 1080 SLI review with new bridge and old one for comparison. basically the same. only worth it for 4k really. otherwise not worth the money overall. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/

finally, some 1070 reviews for a custom cards are showing up.
asus strix oc http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/06/21/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-strix-review/1
palit gamerock premium http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93821-palit-geforce-gtx-1070-gamerock-premium-edition/

mr91

Distinguished

Flickering with high refresh Gsync monitors is not fully resolved. Hopefully it will be resolved with the next driver

mr91

Distinguished

I disagree, higher quality components can improve stability and in some cases performance and longevity.
I didn't say the parts would last forever

I take Nvidia's word as a bunch of bull. Aftermarket cards have more power phases already than the reference cards, and cards like the Asus Strix actually have specialize coils to suppress vibration. I mean, it's no surprise that Nvidia's reference design uses high quality materials - I'd sure hope it does if I'm paying $700 for one of these things. But you are under the impression that aftermarket cards use low quality materials which is not the case; instead, they use the same or higher quality parts.

It's just like PSU marketing. It sounds all pretty but it's really nothing special.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
My apologies for an unrelated comment I made earlier that was not correct. I stated Doom (2016) was screaming to be played on at least a 24" monitor. .....I discovered that widening the viewing angle from about 95' to about 102' made all the difference. I was gawping at the graphics more after; it improved the graphics experience on every level.

That's only because of supply and demand currently. Founders Edition cards don't have as high of demand as custom cards, and there is a larger supply of them. Aftermarket cards have a higher demand and a lower supply.

melenie

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Woah this is pretty awesome! I've never heard of igame before. Got any links to the igame gtx 1080?

Also is that colour hot pink or red? Looks hot pink to me. Still looks awesome

@mr91

There is new hotfix released by nvidia mentioning about fixing issues on high refresh rates.

@turkey scratch

Nvidia reference design might not build for heavy overclocking but i think at the very least they got good QA. remember those coil whine issue that is quite wide spread among 970 after market early batch? As far as i remember most people with reference 970 have no such issue.

jeffler383

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
This is from the article techpowerup did on the 1080 sli, they tested the new high bandwidth bridge next to the older style bridges:

"We took a special look at that, comparing performance of the classic SLI bridge with the HB bridge at up to 4K60Hz, and there is no significant difference in framerates or visual smoothness, not even in games running over 200 FPS at 4K resolution."

This is rather dissapointing, I was hoping the HB bridges would actually offer an improvement. They go on to speculate on the future support of multi gpu configurations which is, at this point anyway, rather bleak. Looks like I'll be springing for a ti when the time comes.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i made note of that as well. they may be setting us up for the future when the bridge would be needed. or maybe just a nice cash grab. they noted as have many others that 2 of the ribbon bridges do not work so you'll only need a single of the older ribbon bridges if you don't want to spring for the $40 high bandwidth bridge,

@melenie, i have a link to the product page on the first page but not for buying. i don't think this brand releases in the US but i may be wrong there.

jeffler383

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Ah, I see you are correct. And, I actually went back and watched some benchmarks of the games you listed ag 1440p using a 980 ti or higher and indeed, it does show more than 4gb of vram being used. However, I also found a few of the same benchmarks (same game, resolution, and settings) using the 980 (or 970) SLI setup and it seemed to hover around the 3.9gb of vram and rarely got over 4. Now, the higher rated cards obviously had better performance, but it seemed like that was more a result of it just being a faster/better card rather than more ram as the performance delta was in line with other improvements from 980 to ti to 1080, etc.

It could just be a result of my ignorance on the subject - and this might be a better topic for another thread as I don't want to get too far off of Pascal - but it did strike me that on cards tested that had 4gb, the games you listed seemed to hover right below that limit, while on the cards that had more available went over. How long, I wonder, until 8GB isn't enough?

TRENDING THREADS