Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
because some out there will assume this means it will outperform the others. still plenty of folks here that refuse to believe that all the pascal cards perform near identical no matter the cost or cooling.

no stretch to imagine these same folks dropping way too much on a triple slot, hybrid, 16 phase and dual 8-pin 1060 like that would make a difference. :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
seen leaks of some mini 1050 cards but don't think i have seen any single slot yet. someone will make one i'm sure but no idea who or when they will be released. they are still releasing new 1080 models for some reason so i'm sure we'll see new 1050 cards until this time next year!!

it is low end card. i don't know why some board partner go crazy with such card lol. this is segment where most care about "bang for buck". i wonder if they really able to sell many of them lol.

i wonder if there is somekind of weakness with single slot design that board partner unable to overcome (unless they go for passive cooling?). for example 750ti low profile did exist but the cooler is still dual slot design.

speaking of passive cooling i'm interested to see 1050ti or RX460 with passive cooling.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

i'm not sure there is a fan set-up skinny enough to allow for a true single slot solution. i could see less than 2 slots but overall, i'm not sure it is even possible to make a true single slot actively cooled card.

http://videocardz.com/63820/exclusive-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-to-cost-139-usd-gtx-1050-109-usd

1050ti msrp at $139? that is a bit lower that early expectation of $149. maybe nvidia want to give a bit of room for board partner to adjust their pricing not too close to AMD 470. but i still expect some board partner will go crazy and price their OC model with with excessive cooling and sell them as high as $189 (ahem Asus). 1050 was set at $109. both will come with 4GB standard.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

While the Seahawk is fine, it doesn't have as much overclocking potential at the EVGA hybrid, plus the Seahawk uses a reference PCB, it also uses a Corsair H55 to cool it (which I can attest that the Corsair H55 is a good product, I use 2 of them to cool my GTX 760's), which is all and good, but it's a CPU cooler, and CPU coldplates are slightly coned. The coldplate on the EVGA hybrid is flat. The coldplate on the hybrid also cools the GDDR5X modules as well as the core. The Seahawk only cools the core. As far as being loud, it doesn't matter to me, I'll be putting Noctua fans on the radiator anyway, seeing as how the GDDR5X modules are cooled by liquid I can just turn the fan down, the radial fan on the Seahawk is neck and neck when it comes to noise with the fan on the Hybrid. People look at temp benchmarks and assume the Seahawk is better, they don't take in to account that the temperature on the Hybrid is a bit higher because it's cooling the VRAM modules as well as the core.

Not only this but the Seahawk's MSRP is $30 more.

Here's a good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0a7qajig5Q

I was also considering the Gigabyte Waterforce, but I thought it too much. I like the way Gigabyte designed the Waterforce and their version of a blower style card though. Always thought orange and blue were the best color themes.

D

Deleted member 217926

I thought all the 1xxx series topped out about the same no matter how you cool them? Making the higher end 'overclocking' cards pointless? Like you might get 40 or 50Mhz out of a higher end card. 1 or 2 FPS for $100 or more isn't worth it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's exactly right but i guess it makes people happy to say "overclocking potential" i guess.

no amount of cooling, power phases, pcie inputs nor anything else has made a bit of difference for the cards. they all are basically the same fps no matter what they cost or have under the hood. but hey, if thinking the one you got is "better" helps folks get to sleep at night, i'm ok with it :D

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

I've never read anything like that, but the Hybrid comes clocked higher from the factory than the Seahawk.

Either way, the Hybrid was 30 bucks less, has a custom AIB, IMO has a better design

Josh5890

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

I really want to get a 1070 to upgrade from my 6950 but maybe I could get a 1050ti to last me a couple years. Would a 1050ti bottleneck my i5 6600K? I'm trying to fit a 1070 in my budget but it ain't easy.

Eh, we'll probably see reviews before the 25th most likely, the 1050/ti should be one of their best selling cards, so getting the info out there about what the card can do can only help to drive sales up (unless it performs like garbage).

some board partner already have slides comparing 1050ti performance vs GTX950. performance wise they probably sit a bit above of GTX960 (there were firestrike score comparing 1050ti/960/950). also instead of TSMC GP107 might be manufactured by samsung.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

If really strapped for cash and deciding between a 1070 and a 1050 ti, it sounds like a 1060 6gb would be perfect for you.

Also, if you look around you can find brand new Radeon Fury's and Fury X's for under 400 bucks. Fury Nanos are hard to find though, too bad, I have yet to see a better ITX card released than the Fury Nano...

Yeah I saw that a while back and was like o_O started wondering if there was a 970 ITX card.