Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

king3pj

Distinguished

Tech Power Up has their review of the Asus Strix 1080 Ti up. This is the only custom card review I have seen so far.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_Ti_Strix_OC/

doom_3840_2160.png

perfrel_3840_2160.png

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the heads up :)

they always have good reviews so will look forward to reading that one, especially about any OC headroom with the better cooling, though that chart seems to suggest something very similar to the other pascal cards with respect to custom performance over FE cards.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

That's because it is and has been a mid tier card. That's my opinion. There's a very big gap in performance and price when you go from let's say a 1070 to a 1080 although that gap has been all but closed thanks to the release of the 1080ti. This is a great thing for the PC Master Race :D Hell, maybe even the console boys will start getting better hardware in their machines thanks to the advances we're all seeing in our GPU.

king3pj

Distinguished
The 980 Ti is still a great card but that's the way it works with GPUs. The best is never the best for long. That is why I prefer to go with the upper mid-range cards instead of absolute best.

When I was looking for an upgrade from my Radeon 7850 the 970 felt like a perfect fit. The 960 wasn't quite enough power for what I wanted, the 980 wasn't as good in terms of price to performance, and the 980 Ti was complete overkill for my 1080p 60Hz monitor. It also felt good knowing that it was roughly equivalent to the 780 Ti that launched at $700 in the previous generation for about $300.

When I upgraded to a 1440p G-Sync monitor I made a similar assessment. The 1060 wasn't worth the upgrade from my 970 and the 1080 only got about 20% more performance than a 1070 for $200 more.

I will probably stick with x70 cards for the foreseeable future. The X80 Ti cards are great but I would rather go with an x70 and upgrade more often as needed instead of going with the best of the best and trying to make it last for years.

I think I will be able to stick with my 1070 with this 1440p G-Sync monitor through at least the 1100 series generation. Maybe by the time the 1200 series comes around the x60 card will be enough for that resolution.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
bang for the buck is never at the high end. high end is for folks that are aiming for cutting edge resolutions and don't mind the VERY poor price/performance ratios of those cards, or are just stupid and think 10000 fps at 1080p is needed for minecraft :p

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

I wouldn't say never. You're getting a tremendous amount of power for the price of the 1080ti AND when you're 4K gaming you can never have too much power :) My 1080 does a good job for 4K but I won't mind it being better with a 1080ti for a bit more money(got my 1080 for a little over $500 a couple months ago).

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

I didn't mean 8" exactly, just ballpark. I need something smaller than 10.5" to fit in my case. Hoping something like that zotac comes in a 1080ti, although I have a case mod solution if it doesn't. :)

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I was just watching a 1080 ti review by (yelling) Linus. It seems the 1080 ti is exactly the same in performance to the Titan XP. However I just googled Titan XP cost which is about £1100. Whereas the 1080 ti is going to be about £700.

Doesn't make any sense.

It does actually. The Titan series has been the balance between the Geforce and Quadro lineups. Not necessarily just as good as Quadro, but it does have some features that Quadro has, plus, it is awesome for gaming, at only 3x less the price. Remember Quadro cards that compete with the Titan are roughly in the $2000+ arena.

The Titan cards weren't necessarily designed specifically for rich gamers, it was designed partially for CAD and computing aswell.

Meanwhile, the x80 Ti cards are designed for pure gaming. They're the flagship gaming cards. They handle the market that wants the best gaming graphics they can buy.

D

Deleted member 217926

Titan cards have always been professional cards with gaming capability more than true gaming cards. The high end enthusiast cards released after the Titans have always been faster in gaming.

GTX 780 ( factory overclock ) was faster than the original Titan.
GTX 780 Ti ( factory overclock ) was faster than the Titan Black
980 Ti ( factory OC ) faster than a ( Maxwell ) Titan
1080 Ti ( factory OC ) faster than a ( Pascal ) Titan

I haven't been following that for a long time now, but... I would not class the Titan cards from nVidia as a "middle ground for Pro-work". Most simple reason being: non-compliant drivers for Pro stuff. I'll put that into "urban legend" territory.

Unless there's a way (which I asked a few pages ago) to turn regular cards into their Pro counterparts, there's no way you can compare the two of them, since the drivers are the biggest disparity for CAD and memory/FP configuration for number crunching.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will.

Cheers!

paulbatzing

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

That depends on what you mean by "pro stuff". At my workplace (physics department of the university oslo) they have built a cluster with ~100 Titan X (pascal) cards for CUDA calculations (mostly spin correlation modelling and flow calculations as i understand). I would guess that the bigger memory is the main reason they did not buy 980 ti s instead, and since this is paid by a research grand, I doubt they would go for an expensive solution if they could get away with a cheaper one.

That is a good counter point, but then again, if you think in a 1:1 basis, I'm sure the Titan does not replace the equivalent Quadro card at all.

For big clusters, like you say, it's a different game. Cheaper usually is best, even if the throughput is not the same. Plus, replacing a Quadro is not the same cost as replacing a "mere" Titan in such an arrangement. So, I will concede the point you mention that is a potential "replacement".

Cheers!

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I thought the Titan X was just supposed to be the top gaming card. As it's listed as a G-Force; http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/titan-x/#redirected

I though Quadros were for doing academic or technical stuff.

I have no idea what folk are saying when they say the Titan is for doing work. OK they are suited to it, but it's a gaming card. Hence I was shocked to see the 1080 ti with the same cuda cores, and benchmarking the same. No-one's gonna buy a Titan when the 1080 ti is only 60% cost. Titan has a bit more RAM, but a bit slower bus. Not much point spending £500 for that.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Nah, the Titans were as good as the factory overclocked cards barring the 1080 Ti, and they were obviously better professional cards. The 1080 Ti, however, is a better gaming card when factory overclocked, but falls a bit short when it comes to professional work.

jeffler383

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Had my FE 1080 ti in for about a week. Ran through all my benchmarks and then settled on an overclock of +150 core, + 300 memory, and it soundly defeats the 980 SLI setup I had in pretty much every measurable metric. In actual gameplay it blows them away, and with none of the potential issues with SLI - witcher 3, maxed out, hairworks doesn't drop below 75FPS, been playing Mass Effect Andromeda, doesn't drop below 90FPS, all settings maxed. I was a little unsure about getting a FE card, but I couldn't be happier.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Imo, the Founders Edition cards look better than the aftermarket ones. They're usually better for SLI as well. Hope you enjoy your 1080 Ti!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA finally listed some specs for their 1080 ti cards. http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6393-KR

looks like they are going to have a model with the icx cooler and another with the cooler and the extra thermal monitor points. SC and SC2 have the same speeds and other specs but the SC2 gets the extra thermal monitors. clock speeds are decent but not as high as a couple others i am seeing but at least they actually released the specs. Asus has also recently. hopefully everyone else has and i've not gotten to the sites yet :)

mr91

Distinguished

1080 ti is significantly faster than the 1080 it replaced... I'm glad I upgraded.