Nvidia GTX 1080, 1070 'Founders Editions' Just Reference Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
5vVUf5f.png

No reason to buy reference especially since aftermarket are better and can be cheaper.

edward_23

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Make me wonder if the stated MSRP are true? Didn't partner board always priced higher than reference in the past?

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
5vVUf5f.png

No reason to buy reference especially since aftermarket are better and can be cheaper.
And dump all their heat directly into your case, which may not work so well if you SLI.

Yeah, you nailed it. I'll be upgrading this year and I'll be looking for a reference cooler for this very reason.

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
As excited I am for the 1000 series, this seems a little like a moneygrab. For what it's worth, that heatsink does look pretty (mod edit) sexy. Wonder how it will compare to other vendor's thermal solutions?

When nVidia charges USD$100 extra for *no* features other than "early access" no one blinks an eye, but when AMD puts a WCC solution on their cards for the same extra money people lose their minds.

I really really can't understand masses.

Cheers!

Basically they made a waterdown version.. Still, you know what, I remember the day of ATI and Nvidia selling their cards directly. They were way more reliable than today.

However, ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, EVGA, XFX and I pass many, have more R&D involved in heatsink than Nvidia or AMD have. They make so much better cooling solution than the references.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
The founders edition is a way for Nvidia to milk an extra $100 ($129 CAD lol) from your wallets. I guess they got to recoup the billion $$$ for R&D lol. I'll just wait for non reference design that maybe cheaper to buy!!!

G

Aftermarket cooler sucks balls especially in SLI setup because it can't get heat out of case but rather circulates inside. Can't wait for reference cards.

They are usually quieter and have not proven to be a problem considering 95% of people use aftermarket cards. We have case exhaust fans so it doesn't all circulate in there.

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
So I'm 100% ignorant of the hardware under the hood of a graphics card. What other components could be "premium" enough to allow for a higher overclock?

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
5vVUf5f.png

Yeah ok,, go try and buy a GTX 980 Reference on ebay and tell me it wont cost you a extra $80.

Reference designs are highly sought after due to the premium chassis and stock layout.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Go ahead and buy a open air design like EVGA's ACX 2.0 coolers. They are bargain bin coolers because they dump hot air back into the case.

You can get a blower type cheap but the shroud will be plastic. No backplate either.

I am sorry, but it doesn't matter if you dump hot air in your case if you have optimal airflow. People having multi-gpu problems are the ones buying cheap case not made for it. The type of heatsink you use doesn't matter. Also, you should use a good fan blowing fresh air on your graphic cards on the side of your case. If you use crossfire, you should use your first and third PCIe slot.

If you are using SLI, just too bad...

Why is it called a founder's edition if it's not being sold at the start only? At least with that people would have bought them for bragging rights. Now they are essentially charging more for something that's always been and some fancy LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.