Greco

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I recently have had an issue with my display driver, about a week ago I was watching some youtube videos when my screen turned black for about 1 second and then I received an error message from the windows error message center that said 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered' and underneath it said 'Display driver NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, version 285.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.' After several restarts and other random acts to try and fix it I got a blue screen and my PC turned off. After turning it back on I tried uninstalling and re installing the drivers for my card which worked just fine...until 5 minutes ago when the same problem happened under the same circumstances.

Other symptoms are that I have four rectangular areas on my screen that are continuously flashing blankly and for no reason, and when opening games the screen becomes very pixelated and occasionally the game crashes.

Is there a known cause of this and/or permanent solutions? Any help that anybody could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Ohter PC Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i5 CPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

If other information is needed please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Greco

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hmmm what exactly does rollback mean? I am not very advanced when it comes to this kind of thing. I am assuming I should install an old driver? and if so what is the correct way to go about doing that, just so that I dont make any mistakes.

Greco

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
So, I installed 280 and rebooted my pc and I got the same error message except this time it was an error message regarding 280 driver but in the same terms 'Display driver NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, version 280.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.'

I think this indicates that the problem is not with the driver. does that mean it is with the hardware?

EDIT: I actually just realized that it cant be the hardware because I had this same problem last week and fixed it before having it again this week.

DM186

Splendid

Sorry to hear that. It was still worth the try but 4745454b is right it could be something on its way out and it is hitting and missing at different times. Sometimes they just don't die. They die a lot of times.

I guess go back to the first drivers the up to date one's and find a friend who has a rig you can test yours in. If not then it might be the shop to test. I think it is your card on it's way out. For you to get your screen full of artifacts. I wish you well