News Nvidia, Newegg Address Non-Existent RTX 3080 Availability

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Nvidia shouldn't worry about producing lesser cards than the 3070 as the demand for the higher cards will be tough enough to satisfy.

As Igor's site stated just use capacity to build the 3070, 3080 and 3090 and let the used market take care of the rest of the market.

logainofhades

Titan
Nvidia shouldn't worry about producing lesser cards than the 3070 as the demand for the higher cards will be tough enough to satisfy.

There will probably be lesser cards made with cut down dies, from those that didn't quite make the cut, as a 3080. My Evga 2060 KO Ultra is a prime example of this, as it uses a 2080 die.

USAFRet

Titan
Sale opened at 9AM EST.
I checked at 08:55, and Newegg had already mostly crashed.
B2oiaMw.png

InvalidError

Titan
New says sold out in 5 minutes :) That is what just longer of the entire checkout process? What did Newegg have like 10 of these cards or what?
If you need five minutes to check out, you are awfully slow. If you were logged into your NewEgg account with payment and shipping details on file, check-out takes 30 seconds to confirm your payment method and shipping address. (Not counting time wasted on site slow-downs and errors from heavy traffic.)

Reactions: folfy20

floored63

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
Seemed to me like they sold out in less then five minutes
If you need five minutes to check out, you are awfully slow. If you were logged into your NewEgg account with payment and shipping details on file, check-out takes 30 seconds to confirm your payment method and shipping address. (Not counting time wasted on site slow-downs and errors from heavy traffic.)

they sold out in less then five minutes all while their Web site was in the process of crashing. I managed to get a gigabyte card in the cart and in the two minutes it took the checkout page to load it was gone.
And they didn't notify at all

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Great job Nvidia. You managed to produce enough cards to almost give websites enough time to show them in stock. And the 3090 is supposed to be card in very limited supply. Is it going to sell out before it even goes on sale?

InvalidError

Titan
And they didn't notify at all
Sending notifications while the site is already being slammed and products are flying off the shelf too fast for people waiting for a notifications before ordering to have any chance of catching one wouldn't make much sense. Instead of having people complaining about not receiving notifications, you'd have people complaining that they couldn't get in after receiving notifications and products already being sold out by the time they got there despite clicking the notification within seconds of receiving it.

floored63

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
Sending notifications while the site is already being slammed and products are flying off the shelf too fast for people waiting for a notifications before ordering to have any chance of catching one wouldn't make much sense. Instead of having people complaining about not receiving notifications, you'd have people complaining that they couldn't get in after receiving notifications and products already being sold out by the time they got there despite clicking the notification within seconds of receiving it.
They really shouldn't have offered too notify if they couldn't it's not like i needed it was at their site ready to buy half an hour before they started to sell them.

Last edited:

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
What a <Mod Edit> show this morning was. Auto notify not working and basically bots and scalpers grabbing all the cards. They could've easily solved this unneeded rush by having a pre-order option but no they just want to watch their customer base suffer. Good job.

Last edited by a moderator:

floored63

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
What a *** this morning was. Auto notify not working and basically bots and scalpers grabbing all the cards. They could've easily solved this unneeded rush by having a pre-order option but no they just want to watch their customer base suffer. Good job.

And what really bites is it looks like 75% of the 3080's sold this morning are now on ebay!

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
What a <Mod Edit> show this morning was. Auto notify not working and basically bots and scalpers grabbing all the cards. They could've easily solved this unneeded rush by having a pre-order option but no they just want to watch their customer base suffer. Good job.
A locked in pre-order would have ended up exactly the same. All gone in 3 minutes.

What good is trying to prevent bots when there are no cards? This was a paper launch, with nothing but a tiny sample of cards available to provide some semblance of having a product released. Perhaps they didn't want to give AMD a chance to have the fastest card on the market for any length of time, especially at a significantly lower price than their existing models, prompting them to launch the 30-series cards before they were ready.

As Igor's site stated just use capacity to build the 3070, 3080 and 3090 and let the used market take care of the rest of the market.
From what I've heard, Sumsung's 8nm node might be having issues with low yields at this point, so if anything, the large 630mm chips that the 2080 and 2090 are using are more likely to result in less usable area per wafer compared to the smaller chips. The 3070 might fare a little better at just under 400mm, but I imagine there will be a lot of imperfect chips out of those that will need to have cores disabled, which could make their way into the 3060-class cards.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Still trying to figure out why people are surprised or upset about this. The same thing has happened for every high-end release since the GTX 280 (if not before).

Hype
Rabid Sales
Disappointment
Rinse and Repeat.

Get used to it people!

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Rogue Leader

major_mayhem

Reputable
Aug 3, 2018
Nvidia and Newegg have addressed the shortage of the RTX 3080 GPU, and Nvidia has apologized.

Nvidia, Newegg Address Non-Existent RTX 3080 Availability : Read more

I'm going to have to call BS on this .....
Nvidia locked the release of the 3080 to 06:00 PT 9/17.

Amazon B&H Best Buy and the Nvidia store where all suppose to have 3080s available for sale at the release date and time.

I had all 4 websites open in my browser across all three of my monitors at 05:55. I refreshed right at 05:59 and 06:00. Nvidia sold out before I could even click BUY ... It literately flashed available and went to sold out before I could even click on the buy button. With Best Buy I couldn't bet my shopping cart into check out before the item went sold out. New egg was even worse as their site locked up and threw errors. B&H never put their cards on sale and their store site went completely unavailable and they were still down 2 hours later. Amazon never had any cards go on sale to the best of my knowledge however the 3080s went so fast if you blinked you would miss it.

Needless to say I came away empty handed, which has left me feeling a little miffed. I was even set up for email alerts at all 4 vendors ... I never got a single alert.

I get the impression that Nvidia Newegg and to a lesser degree Best Buy couldn't give half a lick about gamers (Best buy never did show gamers much love.) They put nothing in place to slow down let alone stop bots and scalpers. No Captcha No purchase limits nothing. Newegg even seamed like to be feeding the purchase frenzy. It was rather sad.

Sort of like waiting in line on black Friday just to get sandpaper sodomized before you can even get in the door.

We still have other 3080 cards coming out, We also have the 3090 and 3070 coming out possibly a 3080ti (More than likely a 3090 with half the memory for about 1 grand) and AMD has a new card "Big Navi" coming out soon as well. However this mornings panicked purchasing frenzy gives me the impression prices are going to end up in the $900 range for a 3080 real soon.

Again there were absolutely no purchase limits or Captchas which is major problem considering bots can move and shop a heck of a lot faster than a fleshy can.

This all reminds me of a question my son asked me ....
Son "Dad in Bayformers why didn't the Decepticons just buy Sam Witwicky's glasses off of ebay?"
Me "Captchas maybe?"

Reactions: bigdragon

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Gurg, this was last night, in another thread, at 2 stores i buy my comp hardware from :

$980 is what one of the stores has the least expensive rtx 3080 starting at, another store i just checked, the same card is 950. just like the rtx 20 series, so far, priced out of reach of most people. pretty much take the US price, and add $200.

the 3070 more then likely will be 600+ canadian, very few people i know would pay that much for a vid card, only because they have more important bills to pay 1st. while it seems those that are saying the 3000 series is priced well, im guessing, they are in the US, not other countries.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
A locked in pre-order would have ended up exactly the same. All gone in 3 minutes.

Nope it wouldn't, you're missing the point of preorders. Sure the 1st batch would be sold to scalpers and those who really want it, but it's like reserving your spot, where you are put in a queue and given an extimated date when your batch should be available. So say you land up in batch 3 that is 8 weeks out, you can just wait 8 weeks to get your product. That way you're not rushing randomly everytime some random store has a supply for cards. Also less incentive to buy from scalpers for a lot of people.

Valve did a great job with the Index HMD sales to implement this.
Bottom line: This was a paper launch and Nvidia doesn't care about it's customers. If they did, they would try to make it easier for gamers (not scalpers) to get this card.

Reactions: AtrociKitty