Nvidia Pulls GPU Overheating 196.75 Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
If it is truely a driver ussue, I hope the response for NVIDIA is better that theirs for the defective laptop GPUs, I have a HOP Laptop which is is a doorstop.

Well, last night before installing Bad company 2 I thought I'd install nVidia's latest drivers. I had no problems with Bad Company 2 in beta, but last night, with the new drivers, my computer rebooted after just 2 hours of play. Guess I'll be doing some rollback.
Or use Rivatuner to manually turn the fan speed up.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I had a problem with slow frame rates in Fallout 3 and didn't wait for someone to tell me there was a problem. I've been using EVGA precision tool and noticed right away my card was running hotter. I immediately rolled my driver back.

G

Honestly, I've learned that when using Geforce cards always have Rivatuner on with you. I've had the 7900GTX, 8800GTS, GTX 260 and whenever I play games even if the temp of GPU shots to 65+ degrees celsius the stupid fan won't go faster than 30%. Only after I popped in Rivatuner from Guru3D did I realize how strong that fan can be.

Now when my GPU gets to 50+ the fan speed hits at least 50%...tehehhe...set it to 100% fan speed it's kind of fun...it's like a freaken vaccum.

What I'd be interested in hearing is Nvidia going to give free replacements for the video cards that have been fried, if it does turn out to be case that the drivers caused the damage.

A responsible company would, however Nvidia of late I'm not to sure about, I've been a consistent user of Nvidia cards, but my next one is going to be an ATI one.
So are ATi going to compensate those who have been affected by the GSOD/vertical lines issue? After all there are users that will have lost valuable productivity and gaming time not to mention the emotional stress of trying to fix a problem that was not of their own making.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
of course they would warranty it. I put my video card in the slot wrong and fried it and they still warrantied it. They are very lax on the return policy from my experience and this is their fault anyways.

comp_builder22586

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Problems with warcraft 3? are you serious? since when does that game tax any more then 10 percent of any modern GPU, even at the highest settings.

notty22

Distinguished
Video card issues are probably the #1 bricker of Laptops.
Given the installed base, I bet ATI cards have a much higher % of failures.
I have a 2004 Sony/ATI bricked . The current owners of ATI, the OIL Barons don't care much about the legacy hardware, in case you didn't know.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I don't know about anybody else, but personally, when I start gaming on my GTX275 SLI, I always take control of the cards' fans in Precision tool and set it to 100%, for that exact reason...

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
hmmm... could this be related to GPU accelerated flash applications as well?

since the driver update, wife's pc kept crashing while she's tending her Farm. can run Crysis but not Farmville???

xizel

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]hmmm... could this be related to GPU accelerated flash applications as well? since the driver update, wife's pc kept crashing while she's tending her Farm. can run Crysis but not Farmville???[/citation]
lol saying its his wife on Farmville and not him :p

Status
Not open for further replies.