Nvidia: Smartphones Will Beat Console Performance by 2014

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcotton

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]It seems more like their refresh schedule was unofficially extended to about a decade since we're not expecting the Xbox 720s and the PS4s until past 2013 or 2014.[/citation]

Sony has said, officially, from the VERY begining that the ps3 would have a 10 year cycle.

why is there a point in the graph that the console surpasses the pc? isn't the graphics processor of console based on what the pc uses? in which the pc is the first to use?

and also, the point of the console releasing a new generation after several years vs phones that several types gets released in a year is valid.

and since pc can use 1 or more vc's ( i know its not fair but still) i dont see how console/phones can beat that. Most tv resolution is still at HD, while you can use multiple monitors for the pc

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Honestly, I see no point in investing in a console. They're crap. The hardware is so limited, it's unbelievable. PC gaming is the way to go, in my honest, and most humble opinion. :)

[citation][nom]badbunny[/nom]The future is in mobile. Imagine a world where a holographic screen can be projected around you in a 360 degree manner. Where you can actually feel the projections. I believe this is possible in 50 years from now. When ways are found to be able to harness natural forces as energy all around you, be it cosmic radiation, wind or self generated kinetic energy.Where googlebytes of infomation can be transmitted instantaneously.Remember Moore's Law. Perhaps someday the chips will be directly implanted in our being itself, and you won't even need a physical medium to see/control anything. Maybe the next century.[/citation]

Considering that it doesn't matter how mobile a device is if it's input device (IE touch screen in this case) is crap for almost all non-casual games. Besides that, referencing Moore's Law makes you look more stupid than the rest of the comment did... More's Law states that transistor density density doubles in a given period of time (originally about every year, but it has been slowing down and is now closer to every years and a half to two years). That has nothing to do with what you said.

[citation][nom]alfaalex101[/nom]All they need is an attractive and cheap bluetooth dual analogue controller with a gaping rectangular area in the middle that will sync fit any android/iOS device and things can start looking sunny for mobile gaming.[/citation]

That's plausible, but when are you going to be able to play something like that? Only when you're sitting down. If you're on the go (the point of mobile gaming), do you intend to also have a controller on you at all times just so you can get a decent gaming experience when you have a little free time while on the go? Maybe if it can be folded down somehow, then it would be better, but you would still not only need a phone that can handle this sort of workload, but also a controller, and a charger that either works with both, or two separate chargers for both, all with you. That sounds like a hassle to me.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]That's plausible, but when are you going to be able to play something like that? Only when you're sitting down. If you're on the go (the point of mobile gaming), do you intend to also have a controller on you at all times just so you can get a decent gaming experience when you have a little free time while on the go? Maybe if it can be folded down somehow, then it would be better, but you would still not only need a phone that can handle this sort of workload, but also a controller, and a charger that either works with both, or two separate chargers for both, all with you. That sounds like a hassle to me.[/citation]
+1
And where are you going to put the phone (while both your hands hold the controller) so you can look at the screen in a comfortable position ?

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I can believe it, I'm amazing at how good asphalt 6 looks and controls are great, racing games work just fine on phones, shooters are a bit problematic but still much better than psp every managed. Phone plugged into tv with wireless controller could be the future of livingroom gaming. Play on the big screen when at home and then take the game on the road with you.

I see phone games have pretty much replaced portable consoles. Gameloft games and shadowgun are amazing and easily as good looking as xbox games and the tergra 3 games are not far of current consoles. I wounder what we will have by the end of the year.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]EzioAs[/nom]Thumbs up for you guys here who says gaming on a handheld is a waste. So what if mobile devices reach console performance? You're still stuck on a small screen, very poorly optimized control, waste your battery when it's needed most and no upgrade path. Consoles are better since you can game on a big screen, have very optimized controllers and while you still can't upgrade it, it presents a good features for people who doesn't need top level graphics and uses their pc for work or web browsing. Of course, PC is still the best gaming choice.PC>Consoles>Mobile[/citation]

I actually put PCs and consoles as equal. PC has most of the things I love, better graphics and frame rates (usually) better sound in in some cases, community mods etc, but what knocks it down to me is the control factor.

Alot of games make you play with a kb/mouse and I hate playing that way. Give me a controller any day (yes, even for FPS). The console gets this right and that what makes them even to me despite the cleat technical weaknesses that the consoles have.

I all game makers just designed that game from the ground up to support both input types i'd probably never touch a console again except for the rare console only game like uncharted or something.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
They should make a kind of helmet/mount for your smartphone so it's a few inches from your eyes so it would work like one of those virtual reality helmets, the phone has the necessary sensors anyway. Plug a G27 racing wheel to it and load a racing game. There you have your real smartphone game. :)

EzioAs

Distinguished

I personally like the PC more, but sometimes exclusive console games and the lack of control support in certain games bugs me too. Sometimes I hate some of the best games are only release on the console and I hate even more the publishers which announce that they would release a game on all 3 platform(xbox, ps3, pc) on the same date but then delay the pc version. I usually use an Xbox 360 controller for windows and I enjoy using it in almost all games except RTS(it shouldn't have controller support at all btw), FPS(tried it, hate it) and some third person adventure, rpg(whatever you want to call it) games that are not really suitable with the controller(ie: skyrim).

bossmodee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Looks like Nvidia isnt too sure about they're own pc graphics eh? From what they're saying on the graph Kepler has hit a brick wall

agatha666

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
This is why the game industry is stagnating, people expecting mobile devices to become serious.
hmp.gif

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
So when in 2005 were consoles better in graphics power? I have hard time remembering this...but this is what their graph shows. If phones really top consoles than that is just sad.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
no matter how pretty it looks, its still playing on a tiny touchscreen in your hands. its sad that handheld consoles are dying because of the crap trend that is phone gaming. touchscreen gaming is just bad in general no matter if it has a tegra 3 or a 6990(crammed) in it.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]besplatan[/nom]The future of gaming is mobile, social and cloud based. It's sad to see old people clinging to their consoles, clunky controllers, desktops and sad, lonely single player games. Get with the times, people.[/citation]
Sometimes, when I don't feel like dealing with dickheads and elitist jackoffs who weigh their self-worth as a person in their ability to be the biggest douche possible through a game, I am inclined to play single-player mode offline. Its not lonely, its less annoying.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
"Mobile devices are expected to reach Xbox 360 level of graphic performance by 2014, if not sooner."

So basically mobile devices will outperform a 8 year old console in the next 2 years...i.e. outperforming a 10 year old piece of hardware.

Misleading headline is misleading.

stockhausenj

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
The title of this article should be "Smartphones Will Beat xbox 360 Performance by 2014." If there was a new console and a new smartphone that both came out in 2014 I'm will to be that the console out performs the phone...

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Ok, relax nVidia. There's something called wattage, something phones will never have over consoles for the next few decades. (unless we get a room temperature superconductor sooner). That, and common, I'd rather play on a TV than a 4 inch scree, not to mention almost all mobile games suck anyways.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Pretty much all games on handhelds are crap, no matter how good their graphics are. It's just not a type of device that allows immersion.[/citation]
yes! we hardcore gamers only play games on the monster gaming rigs

[citation][nom]jankeke[/nom]+1And where are you going to put the phone (while both your hands hold the controller) so you can look at the screen in a comfortable position ?[/citation]

Well, I suppose that the controller could just be a dock for a phone... However, with the Androids being so diverse, no one dock will work for more than one or two models, so they're out. It's plausible for the iPhones because they aren't as diverse/fractured. However, like I said before, that still means it needs it's own battery and probably it's own charger. In addition to that, having Apple doing something like this and no one else doing it is ridiculous because I just can't see Apple doing a better job of this than really any Android OEM company and if Apple is only the only one who could manage it solely because of their more consistent phone platform, well that is sad. I'd take even M$ doing something like this over Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.