Nvidia's Dual-GPU GTX 590 Already Sold Out

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]Didnt Nintendo do this with the Wii? The only way to gauge the sucess of this 590 release in hard numbers VS past cards and VS the AMD cards. I mean your telling me that for 1-2 years Nintendo couldent catch up with demand? No way they just new that the fact of Wii's always being in short supply meant they get to keep prices up and make it seem like there is this crazy Wii demand for 2 years. How about just making a product so awsome that you could release 10mil cards and still sell out?[/citation]
Nintendo had Foxconn (who also manufactures the PS3, X360 and a ton of other consumer products) at a capacity of 2.5 million Wii's per month on multiple lines 24/7. Far higher than even the PS2 at its peak. They were also at the mercy of 200 other companies that provide the components. You can't manufacture even 1 unit above the maximum manufacturing capacity of your component providers. They had even upped production from 1.5 million, to 1.9 million then 2.5 million all within the first year of launch.

nVidia admitted to only shipping a few thousand units to Europe and only 2 AIB's are licensed to sell GTX 590 cards instead of the usual full round of AIB partners like AMD is doing with the HD 6990.

Comparing the GTX 590 shipping capacity to the Nintendo Wii in its first 2 years on the market is like comparing the speed of a Segway to the SR-71 Blackbird.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Ah yes, good ol' fake shortage[/citation]
Yeah just like they are all about creating hype and "leaked" info...

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Are you saying "will people be saying fake sellout"? I guess that depends on how many cards they ship lol. It would be interesting to compair apples to apples and see how manny 6690's were sold vs how manny cards exactly were released and the sold out of the 590's. I do have to give Nvidia some props for realeasing this card so cheap. But at the same time if I was a customer that paid $500 for one 580 then saw the 590 come out with very very close to twice the performance at only $700 I would $hit a brick and be pissed lol. Ill add a second 6950 and be close to this card for less and be happy :)

verbalizer

Distinguished

agree with you there bro..

me personally do not plan on spending that much (do not say EVER/NEVER - LOL) on a gfx card, even if it is a dual..

Q_Metatron

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Where did they find $650 for GTX 590?!! It's at least $719~$730 WITHOUT shipping/handling or tax. Do they mean nVidia gets $650 and vendors makes $50~$80?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Wile the 6990 is loud blowing eardrums is a bit overboard. Also if your going to OC the 590 one might want the fire department on stand by lol. Both card get undone both in price and performance buy simply getting 2 seperate GPU's in that same family 580/9670.

G

If I didn't know any better, I'd go for the 6990 in a heartbeat. But like many others, I'm just in it for the PhysX.

Status
Not open for further replies.