Nvidia's Faulty GPU Settlement Being Challenged

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A french company? F*** this site, going to Anantech and Hardocp.

G

Looking forward to Europe being taken over by immigrant muslims lol. Cowards!

geek_76

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I agree with lazy-buntu, but will add this. During the period to object or to withdraw oneself from the class, there was not a designated make and model for the replacement - we were only told we would receive a computer of "similar kind or value". However, now that the replacement model has been revealed and it does not come close to meeting the original specs of a majority of the effected computers, there is a motion to have the case re-examined. This is being done so that what is being offered to HP/compaq class members - who DO NOT have the option of a repair to their existing, faulty computers - can be revisited and hopefully revised to meet the orignal court ruling.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Emmmm...
CQ56-115DX
Single core AMD + Radeon4250...

Nvidia offers a product with compeating gpu.. that's amusing.

I think most of the complaints are people who had a dual core now getting a single core... that's not something I would agree with.

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
All they really had to do was not solder the gpu to the mobo and this would all be easy, just replace the gpu.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]THG was founded by a German ( Dr. Thomas Pabst) and has since been sold to a French company (Best of Media Group) !I guess YOU will leave the site now :)Cheers,Peter[/citation]

the internet was invented by Americans. I guess you'll leave the internet now.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]the internet was invented by Americans. I guess you'll leave the internet now.[/citation]

America was created by Europians. I guess you'll have to leave America now.

Shall we continue?

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
If nV is not offering the same or better system, then they are again trying to get the consumer to grab his/her ankles.

You would have to prove that nV new their chipsets were faulty right from the get go and deliberatly, knowingly, sold faulty chips. That is the only way to recover 100% of the cost. Otherwise it is just a case of we're sorry and will work with you to try and resolve this issue, we're sorry your unhappy with our procuct, etc etc.

The second you pay for an item, it is worth x% less and no company will or should absorb that. The entire deal is based on good faith by all parties. The best you are ever going to get is an equivalant item or a percentage of your money back.

Cases like this show you just how much a company really cares about it's customers and how much a company really cares about seperating a consumer from his/her hard earned dollar and then keeping that dollar at almost any cost. nV is by no means alone in this catagory.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I've only had one nVidia graphics card fail on me.When they work they work great, but the failure is making me lean toward AMD this round...[/citation]
One single hardware failure and you abandon a certain brand? PC hardware fails this is a fact. Faulty product is an entirely different animal. Almost every piece of PC hardware has what is called MTBF which is "mean time between failures" which is an estimated time or cycle the product should last before it starts to fail. For instance mouse buttons are rated on how many clicks they should do before the button fails. LCD monitors are also rated this way with something like 100,000 hours.

If any Nvidia card I have owned had failed and was not a part of some large faulty product batch I would replace it with most likely another Nvida card because Nvida makes a good product. Some failures could be do to power surges, misuse, and other forces outside a products normal function so don't always blame the product itself.

In my years messing and building PC's I have had numerous 56k modems (a while back lol) fail, about 3 hard drive failures, 2 video cards die, numerous CD/DVD drives bite the dust, 1 CPU, and 1 power supply fail as well. I have never strayed from a good brand because of any of these failures.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
My old laptop had one of these GPU's... I sold it to someguy for $500 3 years after purchasing it. (the laptop was $3200 new).

How great is it to get a TOP OF THE LINE laptop with a POS vid card? ... the unit was a $3200 ashtray.

I learned a lesson from the experience, build my dekwstops for around $1500 and be happy with a $600 laptop (i3/i5 now)... there is no need for an i7 crushing laptop. Get a desktop with some real hoursepower.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
LOL what a HUGE slap in the face to the people who won the settlement. This completely SHOWS YOU that the law firm is a bunch of rich fat spoiled f**ers and they don't care about anything besides filling their pockets with as much loot as they can!

A COMPAQ?! LOL! Shoot, I'd rather take nothing than one of those horrible pieces of donkey dung. I have had nothing BUT problems with Compaq systems haha. There is absolutely NO WAY that a $350 compaq computer can be capable of what the affected Nvidia chip could deliver.

I even own a laptop with the affected chip and Nvidia refused to put it in with the rest of the failures. My laptop is just running on borrowed time. Nvidia and the law firm both are a couple of crooked companies. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia's boss sleeps in the same bed as the woman that emailed me replies from the law firm about status of the law suit hahaha.

What a joke. Nvidia should have hired better lawyers instead of making those greedy bitches more rich.

Also another point of the matter is any of the Dell laptops that were affected cost ~$1100. A $350 settlement doesn't even cover half of that. lame! My Dell was just above the $1100 mark. I'm amazed that it still even works.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Point is, without America everyone would still be ruled by tyranny. Without the USA, none of us would even be typing on the internet nor have computers.

America was created by God I guess we'll all have to perish now? be realistic.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]What 3rd world shit-hole are you from?[/citation]
lol wow that didn;t take long just because someone may hate america does not mean they are from the 3rd world, they maybe from 1 of 2 countrys more powerful than the US both economically and militarily

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]America was created by Europians. I guess you'll have to leave America now.Shall we continue?[/citation]
Spelling was invented by the Phoenicians, guess you'll have to leave grade school now. *European*

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Point is, without America everyone would still be ruled by tyranny. Without the USA, none of us would even be typing on the internet nor have computers.America was created by God I guess we'll all have to perish now? be realistic.[/citation]

I really hope you don't believe the hog wash that just came out of your mouth. America, in no way, has saved the world from Tyranny. Nor can you possibly make the connection that we wouldn't have an internet or computers.

Now please, don't bring your invisible sky wizard into this pointless debate/battle(lol) Cuz my invisible sky wizard is better... >.> :p

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]KingArcher[/nom]^ lol. This is some hilarious battle[/citation]
[citation][nom]StarsBravo[/nom]hahaha lol[/citation]

I'm glad ya'll are enjoying it. I'm laughing my ass off too :p Took me forever just to type that sentence alone.. So righteous. >.< haha

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]I really hope you don't believe the hog wash that just came out of your mouth. America, in no way, has saved the world from Tyranny. Nor can you possibly make the connection that we wouldn't have an internet or computers.Now please, don't bring your invisible sky wizard into this pointless debate/battle(lol) Cuz my invisible sky wizard is better... &gt;.&gt;[/citation]

I'd rather live here than over "there". I don't like the UK. And that is where some of my family is from. That place..ehhh well what can I say it's a small island. Not much to do, not much of anywhere to go. I can travel 3000 miles across this land and still be in my native country. Live anywhere I want, freely express myself, freedom of speech, etc. I can't think of any other place on Earth where you can do that. But if you prefer Europe, to each his own.

Someone surely will chime in about Canada. I hope you like Elk and a lot of wilderness and places strewn about in the middle of nowhere and a bunch of boredom in that case.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]Spelling was invented by the Phoenicians, guess you'll have to leave grade school now. *European*[/citation]

Oh noes.. Crap.. I let one single solitary spelling error get through while battling a battle of such non-importance?! Oh god... What have I done.

Big deal kid. I make spelling errors, from time to time. I'm not perfect, like you however. ;P

HOWEVER.

Egyptians were spelling before the Phoenicians. Guess you'll be taking another history class while your packing your bags to leave America right? Mah Europians(<-on purpose, lol) b wantin thur land bak brah!

Try something mature this time instead of tying and invalid insult at me. :) Because I can do far better ones than you appear capable of.

So shall we continue continuing? :) Waiting on you.

*Edited due to IE being retarded and cutting my comment off for the second time today.*

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know what they are complaining about, it's better then what they had 2 or 3 years ago. The CQ56-115DX comes with a V140 2.3ghz single core cpu, (you can upgrade to a Phenom X4 P series cpu) 2GB DDR3 ram (you can upgrade it to 8gb of DDR3 ram) ATI Radeon 4250, 250gb 5400rpm hard drive. DVD-RW, Wireless N. 15.6 LED display and a built in webcam. Seriously what more do they want.....

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I'd rather live here than over "there". I don't like the UK. And that is where some of my family is from. That place..ehhh well what can I say it's a small island. Not much to do, not much of anywhere to go. I can travel 3000 miles across this land and still be in my native country. Live anywhere I want, freely express myself, freedom of speech, etc. I can't think of any other place on Earth where you can do that. But if you prefer Europe, to each his own.Someone surely will chime in about Canada. I hope you like Elk and a lot of wilderness and places strewn about in the middle of nowhere and a bunch of boredom in that case.[/citation]

Seriously.. Have you ever been in the UK? There is an almost endless amount of things to do on that small island.. Well, except walking 3k miles in one direction, of course. They don't have that :p And Canada.. Have you ever been to Vancouver? That place blew my mind. The sights, the food, and the girls girls girls.. I was in heaven there. But I do prefer my SoCal to everything I've seen and experienced. However, you won't see me making claims that my patch of dirt is better than someone elses. Everything and everywhere has it's own ups and downs. To think anything different is indicative of ignorance, or inexperience.

G

I got ripped by this settlement as it doesn't include XPS M170 model. Which is BS, I have gone though 3 GTX go 7800 video cards(2 referbs) since I bought it. The video cards are the only failure I have had with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.