[SOLVED] nvlddmkm Error (Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered)

Shoggoth269

Honorable
May 31, 2014
Hello,

I'll start by listing my computer specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5900X
Cooler: Corsair H150i
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (I used DOCP's default settings in the BIOS to clock to 3200 MHz)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB (x2), Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Additional six 120mm fans for cooling

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the problem...

I've been having an issue ever since building my new PC in mid-late February of this year. Regardless of what I'm doing whether it be browsing the Internet, watching videos, moving files around the OS, playing a game, or streaming, I will sporadically have an issue where my monitors suddenly go black for a few seconds and then recover. Usually, if I'm playing a game, the game will shut down but this hasn't always been the case. This is a very sporadic issue. Usually, once it happens I won't see it happen again for many hours or even days. I even managed a 24-hour stream recently without a single crash.

When checking the Windows event viewer I see the following error:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
0d20(31f0) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

A few second after the error I see the following warning:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

At the same timestamp I also see the following warnings:

A pointer device has no information about the monitor it is attached to.

And two related to:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

These crashes have never resulted in a total system crash, blue-screen, or anything of the like. When they happen during my live stream, they will kill OBS, thus making this an unfortunate issue that I'd like to get resolved. I've looked into various fixes. I've done full memory tests to check for faulty RAM and I've run a system stress test for an hour or so without any issues (temps were also well within normal ranges). I would think that if it were faulty hardware, this would have caused the issues to show up. I would like to also note that I've been using this 2080 Ti since December of 2019 without issue so unless it was somehow damaged during my moving it to the new PC, I wouldn't suspect the video card to be the issue (I would also point back to the stress test not showing any issues as well as the sporadic issue of this where it will even happen while I'm just messing around in the OS itself).

I have updated my video drivers multiple times using the ones provided via GeForce Experience and I've also updated both my chipset and BIOS. I have tried increasing the TdrDelay value in the registry, as I've seen this as a suggestion multiple times. I have my power settings to High Performance with Link State Power Management set to Off. I have just changed "Power Management Mode" in NVIDIA Control Panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance", but this was changed during this writeup meaning that there has not been sufficient time to verify if it helps.

One suggestion I have not yet tried to try is to decrease my video card's clock speeds. I also just ran across information regarding using DDU to completely remove the video card drivers; I have not tried this.

During my various searches online I did run across some people with RTX 2000-series cards and AMD Ryzen 3000/5000 CPUs who seemed to complain about this issue. I'm not sure that anything was ever really confirmed from this but it could suggest a deeper compatibility issue. See info at the following link: (2) Event ID 14 nvlddmkm - Computer stutters - 2080 Ti : techsupport (reddit.com)

Because this is such a sporadic issue (again, it sometimes goes days without happening) it is very difficult to test and diagnose. What kind of suggestions do you guys have to help me narrow this down?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Solution
There are a number of things that can cause your issue as described.

1. Your Graphics driver may need updating. Usually requires uninstalling using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
  2. Change your Power Management mode
3. Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered
  1. Remove Aura iCUE plugin (applies to only ASUS motherboards)
  2. Change Power Management mode.
  3. Update graphics driver.
  4. Rollback graphics driver.
  5. Uninstall and reinstall graphics card driver.
  6. Replace graphics card. RMA
Is your Bios and chipset up to date?
There are a number of things that can cause your issue as described.

1. Your Graphics driver may need updating. Usually requires uninstalling using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
  2. Change your Power Management mode
3. Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered
  1. Remove Aura iCUE plugin (applies to only ASUS motherboards)
  2. Change Power Management mode.
  3. Update graphics driver.
  4. Rollback graphics driver.
  5. Uninstall and reinstall graphics card driver.
  6. Replace graphics card. RMA
Is your Bios and chipset up to date?

Last edited:
Solution