Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2022
Games crash and event viewer shows "nvlddmkm"

I'm sure theres somethings Ive tried that I can't recall and some simple things I haven't tried.
Over time I've tried
  • Fresh windows( and seperate attempts on a fresh drive)
  • memtest
  • BIOS update
  • ddu
  • SD drivers
  • old drivers
  • almost everything in my pc has been replaced at this point.
From when the issue first started I have replace:
  • gpu rma
  • gpu new
  • psu
  • mobo
  • cpu
  • new m.2 drive
The only thing that hasnt been replaced is my ram, which I've tested single stick and with DOCP off and long duration memtests.
I'll likely purchase some ram soon to make sure that isnt my issue its just a matter of spending money, is there maybe a certain set of ram I should look into?

SPECS:
  • Ryzen 9 3900x(stock cooler)
  • Asus x570-E
  • Trident Z 3000mhz 2x8
  • Geforce RTX 3080 FE (formerly Asus strix 1080ti OC)
  • EVGA G6 1000w (formerly Seasonic Focus FX 750w)
  • WD 2tb sn570 nvme drive
  • Silicon Power 1TB NVMe
  • ADATA Su800 512GB
  • 1tb HDD x2
  • 500gb HDD (not powered)

I'm not sure what else to try or maybe what order of operations to try them in.

The issue is worse in some titles. for example all of the CODs to come out in the last few years I haven't been able to play because I crash on launch, Elden ring is another title that acts like this, crashing on launch or recently crashing after a few seconds of gameplay, some games crash after a bit of play usually being temporarily fixed by a restart but I'm not 100% sure these crashes are from the same issues.

Are there some bios settings I could try toggling, should I fresh install windows, ddu, then install old drivers. is there something I might be forgetting to update that could interfere. something I should remove. just anything. I really want to be able to enjoy video games again but every time I try my motivation is killed my constant crashing. Could having multiple drives in my system have an affect even if they arnt being used by active factors.

I know this question has been asked a dozen times, because I've read the threads, but I'm hoping maybe more direct help might do some good.

Things to try:
  • Underclock GPU (not sure how to do this properly)
  • Atlas OS(cleaned windows, I'm not sure what affect the stripped windows will have on other applications I use but its worth a shot)
  • remove all other drives
  • try a different pcie slot
  • I'm at the point of trying to find a decently priced AMD gpu but this is very low on the list
Thank you anyone who has a suggestion.

Edit:
Even in Minecraft I got errors, about nvlddmkm and OpenGL
image.png

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, thats the nvidia driver

I guess you knew that

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD -

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

See if it reveals anything apart from blame Nvidia drivers. Have you got any dongles?

USB devices use same controller chip as GPU on motherboard so its always possible its a conflict if same error occurs with 2 different GPU.

I assume you use DDU to remove drivers each time.

Dec 19, 2022
well, thats the nvidia driver

I guess you knew that

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD -

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
See if it reveals anything apart from blame Nvidia drivers. Have you got any dongles?

USB devices use same controller chip as GPU on motherboard so its always possible its a conflict if same error occurs with 2 different GPU.

I assume you use DDU to remove drivers each time.

Dump
Hopefully that's the proper file

Interesting. I do believe most of my usb devices have changed during the course of the issue but would there be anyway for me to confirm if that was the fault. Beyond changing devices one by one or even only testing one a time. As I feel like theres no easy way to isolate and not return a false positive

At the moment my usb devices consist of
  • g603 mouse dongle
  • Steelseries arctis pro headset dock(could possibly be conidered a dongle)
  • anne pro 2 keyboard

Colif

Win 11 Master
conversion of Dump

report - click run as fiddle to read

File: 121922-12328-01.dmp (Dec 19 2022 - 17:09:33)
BugCheck: [VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

really should have 2 sticks of ram but thats not going to cause this.

try a different pcie slot
tried this yet?

fix for that event is something you have already tried, different drivers

Dec 19, 2022

I do have 2 sticks. I did some testing with just one but do have a 2x8 kit

I haven't, I did download a bunch of old driver versions that I'm going to go through and ddu and test them all. I will definitely give the different pcei slot a try so

E: for some reason I couldn't respond for a while

Dec 19, 2022
Replaced ram and games that use to crash instantly are seemingly working now. Still more testing to do but ram may have been my issue. Not sure if faulty sticks or just not enough ram. Previously operating on a 2x8gb 3200 kit and now on 2x16gb 3600

I'm really hoping this is the end of my turmoil

Status
Not open for further replies.