Status
Not open for further replies.

rakib.shahid.123

Reputable
Aug 23, 2017
Hello, I recently got a Western Digital SN850 1tb but I can’t get it to work at all. Motherboard does not detect it and BIOS shows nothing. Motherboard is an Asrock B450 Pro 4 with a ryzen 7 3700x, and rtx 3070 ti if it’s relevant.
I have 5 other sata drives plugged in but I don’t believe they should be an issue since mobo manual says only the second m2 slot shares lanes with sata. I have the nvme installed in m2 slot 1, and have tried booting with all other sata drives disconnected. I am out of ideas, should I look to return it? Thanks

rakib.shahid.123

Reputable
Aug 23, 2017
Make sure M.2 drive is properly installed. It has to be fully inserted. Gold contacts on M.2 drive should not be visible.
Sometimes it may help, to clean contacts with eraser.

Thanks for the reply, I've tried reseating it multiple times and have cleaned the contacts to no avail. It's definitely not the drive nor the motherboard slot. I've just tried the SN850 in another computer (a laptop) and it picks it up just fine. I've also just put in the nvme from the laptop (an SKHynix 512gb) into my B450 Pro4 and it sees that ssd just fine. It seems to be the motherboard just not detecting the SN850. Is there anything I can do to make it work? I've already updated BIOS and fiddled with BIOS settings. Seems like I'll have to return the SN850

Should I try installing Windows onto the SN850 using the laptop then try it on my desktop? I doubt it'll work but I'm all out of ideas.

rakib.shahid.123

Reputable
Aug 23, 2017
Please refer to the below link from ASRock:
http://www.asrock.com/support/qa/Technical NNotes - Storage Device Compatibility.pdf

I just found this today while having a similar issue. According to this, certain NVME drives will not wok on certain B350 and B450 boards, and it looks like the SN850 is one of them.
Thank you! Would be good to have this on the actual website for the motherboard and not hidden away wherever you found it lol. I ended up getting a Sabrent PCIE adapter for NVME and it works perfectly with no setup at all in case you're still having issues. I opted to just get an adapter and keep the higher end ssd as opposed to returning it to get an older compatible ssd for longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.