Question NVMe vs Sata III

USAFRet

Titan
  1. I would absolutely not buy a no-name drive. No matter how cheap
  2. $106 for a 1TB is not "amazing". A 1TB Intel 660p can currently be had for $90USD.
  3. 'very well reviewed' - The very first 5 Star review..."Very fast delivery . After 11 days i got it. Not tested yet.. "
  4. What do you plan to use this system for?

New Void

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
  1. I would absolutely not buy a no-name drive. No matter how cheap
  2. $106 for a 1TB is not "amazing". A 1TB Intel 660p can currently be had for $90USD.
  3. 'very well reviewed' - The very first 5 Star review..."Very fast delivery . After 11 days i got it. Not tested yet.. "
  4. What do you plan to use this system for?
The reason I considered buying this is because I have ordered obscure names products off AliExpress before and they all worked fine and I read past the first review.

There's also the fact that this has a nice shield on it though I am unsure if companies just advertise this as an advantage and it is untrue as I personally cannot see how "heat distribution" is better than flowing air touching the components.

I thought my PC Parts Picker build was clearly showing it was aimed at gaming but I will review it and make changes.

The question I am really curious about however is if an NVMe SSD is that much better than a SATA III SSD in general to warrant the extra purchase for my OS and games as my new primary drive.

Your help is always great, appreciated.

New Void

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016

USAFRet

Titan
Out of curiosity in which tasks would NVMe SSD be worth the upgrade from a SATA III SSD
Moving large blocks of data between two internal NVMe drives. Movie production, maybe.
Not 30 second facebook clips, but rather building an actual movie, all day every day. Seconds count.

After installing my recent Intel 660p, I did an impromptu test.
Adobe Lightroom, Multiple edits to 5 RAW files, writing those out as .jpg to 3 different drives.
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (SATA III), 5 years old
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (SATAIII), 6 monhs old
Intel 660p 1TB (NVMe), 2 weeks old

This is something a typical user would do.
It took the same time between all 3 drives, 15 sec.

Now...if I had to move 500 of those RAW files from my work drive to the publish drive, and do that every day all day long...then NVMe would make a difference.

People get too wrapped up in the large sequential number for the NVMe and ignore the actual benefit of the SSD concept in general...the near zero access time.

Many people have reported here after changing from a SATA III SSD to an NVMe drive, with exactly the same workload...and...meh.

HDD -> SATA SSD = huge benefit
SATA III SSD -> NVMe = not so much

Building a new system, and having an NVMe drive at similar price perGB as a SATA III SDD? Sure. Go for the NVMe.
Changing an existing SATA III to NVMe? Maybe not.

Xnitro67

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
They are fast not doubt but if you got more than 2 drives it wont be good m.2 drives disable some data ports for me I have 6 ports and it disables 4 but I think its motherboard specific on what it does though