Oblivion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
<--- calling boss right now, *cough cough* not feeling well need to go home and errr... rest... yeah thats it.

I was talking to the guys at EBGames and my comparison analogy was WoW=nintendo64. This game is beautiful, Now I just need my physics proc and Im good!

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
So any chances we can get some real numbers here with different GPU's.

Since no logic whatsoever can be unearthed as to why the X1800XT is a better choice then the 7900GT... Ill have to make my choice based upon how these cards perform in newer games. And since this is a game that I will most deff be playing I want to know how each card does with this game at different res/filter levels.

A few different extensive benchmarks on the game would be awesome, right now I would settle for a few forum goers to bench the game with fraps and then post back the results.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Well, er, I kinda didn't post yesterday... I wound up playing Oblivion until 4AM. I slept through most of the day, had to hurry for classes, no time for posting.

At any rate, my machine's doing great. I know of the solutions to pretty much every performance/quality problem. I get a constant 60fps outside. All settings are maxed as high as I can go without cutting some things off; I have "bloom lighting" enabled, and a 1024x768 resolution, with x6 AA and x16 trilinear AF.

However, when just exiting an indoor cell, I get a massive framerate hit; seems that it doesn't re-load materials properly. Quicksaving and then Quickloading solves the problem; the loading is evidently the problem, as that measure actually takes time to load, when normally, a quick-load when the save was made in the same cell is virtually instant. (no loading screen, just a fade to the old location) However, in those cases, quick-loading the exact same state takes 10+ seconds, and brings up a loading screen.

In essence, the game DOES look great, though there are a few gripes about it. It also seems to be programmed to an all-too-clear lowest-common-denominator, in this case being the XBox 360. BethSoft apparently hid half of the settings in the .INI file so that they could claim that the XBox 360 was "maxed," though it's anything but.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Oblivion3232006.jpg

I made it outside and I am averaging 30 fps at 1920 x 1200 with all options on high with the setup below. sometimes it goes higher like when it gets dark outside, and sometimes it gets lower but it likes 30 fps, looks great !

trenchtoaster

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I ordered a 6800GS AGP card to go with my 2000+ processor, and 1280 ram. I plan on upgrading to an AMD X2 4200+ and a new AGP/PCIe motherboard in a month or so though.

Do you think I should just pick up a Xbox 360 for the game? I sort of liked playing the xbox verion of morrowind, nice controls. I dont have an HDTV (Hitachi 52" Ultravision) though, would it look really crappy to the point where I would have to buy a new TV?

Do you think the 6800GS, X2 4200+, 1280 ram will be able to run third generation mmorpgs? I am really interesting in Vangaurd SoH. Although, Halo 3 should be sweet, I am a big fan.

GOD I can't decide what to do =/

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Unplayable on 6800gt. Frame rate under 10 outside of dungeon even with settings at pretty low levels.
my buddy is running it on his laptop with 6800 mobile and it runs great. You might have a problem somewhere?

As for the game, i am running it on a x-2 3800, 2gig ram, and x1800xl. My res is at 1280 x 708 (for my dell 2005FPW) with HDR and most sliders to max and the game runs wonderfully. I turned off the shadows because as one other person in these forums stated, it just makes things look strange. It places strange stripes on objects outside, and strange shadows on peoples faces inside.

For those that haven't played it, wait until you are in a forest with tree shadows and HDR on with the sun shining down. Amazing to behold. ill post a screen shot soon.

redman2025

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Unplayable on 6800gt. Frame rate under 10 outside of dungeon even with settings at pretty low levels.
my buddy is running it on his laptop with 6800 mobile and it runs great. You might have a problem somewhere?

I am thinking it is a driver problem or maybe a patch for the game is needed. I have to say that I have an ATI 800XL. I know they are different but it sounds like the problem I was having. My system was getting really low frame rates some times outdoors after leaving a dungeon. Try saving the game, then exited back the main menu and load your saved game.

This is what worked for me.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I just installed this game last night, ended up playing it for about 4 hours cause i wanted to make it outside...and when i did, i just wandered around and enjoyed the view. I dont have any performance specs as of yet, but i will do some benchies over the weekend. Overall, with everything at max, and 1280x1024 res. everything looks amazing with no slow downs. System specs in sig.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I ordered a 6800GS AGP card to go with my 2000+ processor, and 1280 ram. I plan on upgrading to an AMD X2 4200+ and a new AGP/PCIe motherboard in a month or so though.

Do you think I should just pick up a Xbox 360 for the game? I sort of liked playing the xbox verion of morrowind, nice controls. I dont have an HDTV (Hitachi 52" Ultravision) though, would it look really crappy to the point where I would have to buy a new TV?

Do you think the 6800GS, X2 4200+, 1280 ram will be able to run third generation mmorpgs? I am really interesting in Vangaurd SoH. Although, Halo 3 should be sweet, I am a big fan.

GOD I can't decide what to do =/
No, that PC you have would hand the Xbox 360 its rear end, on a golden platter to boot. I'm currently playing it better than on the Xbox 360; x6 AA and x16AF, and with some of the settings boosted higher than is allowed in the game through edits to the Oblivion.INI file, so, for instance, water reflects EVERYTHING, not just landscape and major arcitecture. It looks sweet to see your own reflection, though sadly it can't happen in first-person. My framerate never drops below 30fps at 1024x768, (unless it's loading stuff) which is just a sliver less area than 720p. I've considered switching to 1280x720, (letterboxed) though that would severely limit my vertical vision range.

And Halo 3 will be ported to the PC just like Halo was, and Halo 2 will be. Of course, it will require vastly better PC hardware then, as Microsoft buffs these ports up to use the latest hardware... (Halo went from SM 1.1 to SM 2.0, complete with bump-maps and specular maps, and Halo 2 will be more advanced on the PC than Halo 3 on the Xbox 360)

Of course, if you have a number of reasons (read: games) to get the Xbox 360, by all means get it; it's one of the better consoles to be made in the past decade. Just don't think you need it for Oblivion.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
in your galavanting through the ini countryside have you found a way to force HDR w/ AA at the same time? No-one has come on here yet and said if it can be done. This is the onw thing that is holding me back from getting the game...

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
heheh What is this Oblivion game???

(I am actually serious I keep hearing about it but I have absolutely no clue what it is...)

I'm also too lazy to go google another sub-par mass produced POS game... Will someone fill me in...

Thanks...

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
follow up to Morrowind... all are Eldar Scrolls games and the plot and gameplay on Morrowind was flat out incredible. One of the greatest single player rpgs ever made, and easily the best FPS rpg. IMO

Oblivion has prb the best AI programming according to the hype. That and the graphics are what i am interested in provided it doesn't hamstring my video card by not allowing HDR w/ AA like Nv is forced to do. ;)

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
i hope oblivion will make my pc purchase worthwhile. games these days are too shallow, all the fancy graphics and whatnot. thats y ppl still play sc and wc3 and cs 1.6. gameplay/ story is more important imo

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
not sure anyone plays any version of cs for the story... is there even a story? gg though. and i agree w/ the idea of what you are saying. that is why hl2 (and original hl) were so good. story. DeusEx anyone? System Shock 2? total anihilation? dance-dance revolution? oops... uh, i mean. hmm....

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah! Oblivion has what I really like in games - good AI. Graphics come second to AI in my eyes (okay, not DX7 graphics) and I'm also all for open game play. If I can purchase a game and play it over and over with the AI reacting differently each time, it makes the purchase so much worth it.

rampage

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
I havent gotten this game yet.. but I got into the Elder Scroll series when Daggerfall was released and I was completely taken in by it.

I'm sure my 7900GT will run Oblivion fine@1680x1050 widescreen (I dont run AA/AF, prefer pure frames and dont see the visual quality increase enough, ok hardly at all, at 1680 to warrant the FPS loss).

If its not fast enough, I'll throw in another 7900.. they're cheap enough @$300.

woodwork

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
This game is the awesome.. I have played it for awhile now and I like it more and more.. The AI cracks me up.. great game.

woodwork

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have seen gaurds kill each over for what appeared to be fighting for deer. I have seen them stealing and killing people .. crazy stuff

taulin

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
i (being here in new zealand) preordered my copy, so it arrived on the 24th, but unfortunately i wont have the computer to run it until atleast the 31st!! (going to get a 7900gt but they wont be in the country until the 29th! :( )

so im hoping like hell i wont have any problems with it like ive heard with varying other people over on the oblivion support boards, going to be running it on a:
amd64 939 3500+
dfi lanparty ut sli-d
1gB Geil 2-6-3-3 pc3200 dual channel
160gB seagate 7200rpm sata-ii
gigabyte 7900gt
(ram should arrive on thursday, graphics card on friday, cant wait!!!)