rogue woopa

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
is prime 95 the only test for an overclocked cpu and does it realy take up to 8 hrs??

i have a guide on overclocking and he was saying if this hapens up this voltage if that hapens up that voltage.

does prime 95 tell you what failed and how to fix it??

and do ppl take classes on oc'ing or what how did ppl figure all this crap out lol.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
No classes required, lol Just do some reading and follow some decent guides and go from there. You don't need to break the overclocking record or anything like that. A mild to moderate overclock on most systems, is pretty easy to achieve.

rogue woopa

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
the reason i ask is because a few step by step oc guides say to gradually up voltages as things go wrong. (which i would need the test to tell me otherwise i wont know y it stooped)

this probably gives better temps im guessing and will allow parts to live longer but takes longer.

but one other set all his voltages to the max that the ram cpu and so on where meant to handle figuring if its on the box as it can handle it might as well and just overclocked till it stopped and was done.

this seams to be the fastest way to do it by far

what are your thoughts on this

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
My thought are you should overclock 1 part of your system at a time. That way you will know when something fails, who the culprit is. When you start overclocking set your ram to the lowest possible divider. This way you eliminate the ram as the problem as you start tweaking. I personally do the same with the cpu multiplier, effectively doing the FSB overclock before clocking the CPU. Then once my fsb is at my target and running stable, I start increasing the multiplier and voltage. Now that you have a stable CPU and motherboard, you can go back to your ram and begin messing with it.

This is just the way I do it and is by no means written in stone, GL

Not, it's not the only teset. It is, though, probably the most popular. There has been a lot of discussion about how long to stress test. I'd say 6 - 8 hours is average. Many test less. A few, including me, test for 24 hours.

That's sort of true. But you shouldn't depend on just one guide. Overclocking is both a technical skill and an art. It does not lend itself to a cookbook approach.

Sort of and no. P95 will give indications of what went wrong. If the small fft's test fails,it indicates a problem with the CPU. If the large fft's or blend test fails, that indicates a problem with the memory. It will give you no help with fixing the problem.

Mostly, we figure out this stuff for ourselves - and the rest of the community. It takes a fair amount of technical knowledge, skill, and patience. It requires wading through lots of technical documentation.

sportsfanboy is right. Do one thing at a time. It's much easier to isolate a fault when something goes wrong. Along the same line, keep notes.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

You need more than 8 hours. I once used P95 up to 12 hours (I did it so many times already), but someone told me to run it at least 24 hours and I did it and what happened was I got a BSOD on the 13th hour. So I would suggest that 24 hours is the best to test whether your OC result was stable or not.