OC'd X800XTPE beats 2 GF6800Us in SLI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Yeah imagine. Just like we were saying 2 Volaris in the ALX, 4 cores, tons of fill rate, and...... still 12 fps in FartCry at 1280x1024. :evil:

I was serious, I'm VERY interested in seeing how these arrays overclock, because that's alot of stability to rely on, if OC'ing JUST sticks of DDR needs tightly matched pairs, what the heck it something like SLI, not to mention ALX going to do to 'stability'. I'd also be interested to see whether you could OC and bench the crap out of it, but meanwhile you were getting visual issues because of minute differences that under a normal card would only be barely perceptable because there was no other reference, now half the image is reference.

If they can OC the crap out of something running SLI that would be pretty impressive.

Just curious, ALX x4 array, didn't know they were doing/planning that. Technically it's feasable 4 8x slots or 2 8x 2 4x currently, but That wold be a heck of alot of data crashing along there, and all having to be synched. Oie! Now that would be impressive.

Maximum PC had an ALX in their recent top-end shootout but it was a single card OC'd situation. Still nothing worthwhile coming out yet though.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

LOL!

It's like an AD for a post.

C'mon down and read my post.

:lol:

I'll go check it out, can't guarantee I can help but I'll give it an honest once over and see. :cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
5000 ---> 7200 is not a 25% increase.....its a 44% increase. Go to school :p

Imo Sli is limited in 3dmark because the benchmark is running in 1024*768 (wich i dont understand why .... they should run it at 1280 its the new basic res...) and the sli will show their muscles at higher res. Also i dont think the 2 card setup had an overclocked fx-53 at 2.9ghz as a processor. Also the 2 card were not overclocked. My 2.5cent.

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 10/01/04 08:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

5000 ---> 7200 is not a 25% increase.....its a 44% increase. Go to school :p
<font color=purple>[sarcasm]</font color=purple>
Well I am currently still in 'school' and try to learn, geez you'd think stats would be my strong points, considering my field of study wouldn't you? Hey, wait, it is one of my strong points, and so is research (which you seem a little weak on), guess I should check into that? Ooops, nope not my problem, seems like yours.
Not to harp on this TOO much, but perhaps a course in reading comprehension would be in order for your fall schedule as it WASN'T ME who said there was a 25% boost! D'oh! Reminds me of another person who thought they could give out stats lessons.
<font color=purple>[/sarcasm]</font color=purple>

Imo Sli is limited in 3dmark because the benchmark is running in 1024*768
But whether it's limited at 2 x 1024x384 or 2 x 1280x512, doesn't matter, even the overclocked X800XT isn't mashing the 60FPS barrier in the games (the link is no longer valid, but IIRC the best was 40fps in one of the benchies), so it's still not up to the task. Now IF they were running 200FPS at 1024x768 then I'd agree it might be an issue, but if it can't make playable frames, then pushing it to a higher rez isn't likely to help that.

I do agree that fewer people run 1024x768, and the new default is 1280x1024 with all the 19"+ CRT and 17"+ LCD monitors out there. But for this purpose it's just a standard. Heck, the R9600P OC'd to the tits can't break double digits at 1024x768 so I'd say anything higher would almost invalidate all the cards lower than the R9800PRO, and thus skew distribution (Oooh Stats! :evil: ) too far towards the new cards, which even now are struggling mightily even at insane OCs.

Also i dont think the 2 card setup had an overclocked fx-53 at 2.9ghz as a processor.
Likely has much less impact on this test. While maybe not as ignorant as 3Dmk03, it's likely still heavily VPU/GPU-centric.

Also the 2 card were not overclocked.
We know that. But how do you know that they CAN be overclocked significantly? That's the point we were just discussing a few posts back.

My 2.5cent.
And, as ever, just my 2 frames worth.

But really try to quote/reply-to the right person if you're going to be so pedantic in your reply.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Heu i wasnt replying to you only....i was like giving my opinion to the whole post....not only you selfish bitch :p

I always use the last post to make my reply....sorrrry if you felt offended or whatsoever :p

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 10/01/04 10:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

i was like giving my opinion to the whole post....not only you selfish bitch :p
OK ya' Lazy Bassturd! :tongue:

sorrrry if you felt offended or whatsoever :p
Well when something say re: your name, it's hard not to be deffensive. You shoulda posted earlier and re: someone esle. But you were too lazy to post earlier! You watch I'll re: YOU next time we talk about Priyajeet's Bone obsession. :evil:

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
:tongue:

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Its just theoritically planned yet - abt the 4 card array, but they think it to be a feasible option. They havent taken out their 2 card array yet, as they promised at E3 - late Q3, early Q4. No news yet.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

If they have a 4 card array then really it would be a freaking perfect solution to driver IBM and Viewsonic's QUXGA monitors that I know Vapor is familiar with. :cool:

BTW, <b>Vapor</b>, it would be a nice option to have, but in this case since coytler IS basically replying to someone else's claim in the body of the post he could've at least picked the person who stated that to which he is responding.

Instead of "reply to thread" I'd prefer a "reply to no one in particular" or "reply to every stinkin' Ba$turd who bothers to read this" :wink:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
<b><i>"Alienware’s Video Array is not limited to 2 video cards. Future implementations may take advantage of this and put 4 or more video cards into one system. This would probably be more geared towards professional applications like rendering farms. </b></i>

<A HREF="http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/main_content.aspx#14" target="_new">http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/main_content.aspx#14</A>

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

Sweet!

Or simply multi-monitor setups, heck even as upgadable batch processors. I would be perfect for those QUXGA monitors though, finally enough power to really run them at high FPS (although I think their refresh is limited though, can't remember right now).

However for multi-monitor, OIE that would be hard to keep track of for one project, but perfect for video walls or displaying a ton of info (like financial) all without having to click around).

Anywhoo, in that case it definitely has more 'potential' than SLI, but really we have to SEE it in action to be able to start believing the PR.

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
price/performance irrelevant now? But yes, of course they would smack the living sh*t out of that Ati card.

The SLI setup on nv40 will not be relevant, since it is hardly implemented and we will see newer and stronger cards before it is accesible, at least that is what i think..

I am not an Ati fan, I just like pretty pictures :p

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mopeygoth on 10/02/04 05:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
I happen to disagree. though I have not checked France, I know Germany and England has similar prices. You see, in EU we have something called "The Internal Market" and everything that has to be imported through that boundery from outside-countries takes a massive pricehit from toll, since you (I think) is on the list of the 10 new countries to become members of EU, you'll get to know (and feel)all about it ;)

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya TheGreatGrapeApe;

If you ever disrespect me or anyone else like this ever again, i will make it my personal mission in life to get you banned from this forum, that type of blatent disrespect is unecessary and quite frankly lewd and flat out intollerable, i dont know who you think you are but you wont be doing it again if i have anything to say about it. You better hear what im saying cuz im not playing around with you. If you think im full of it just do it again, and see what happens.
You owe me an apology, and from what i hear you owe alot of other people an opology as well.
Oh and btw you should really temper that problem of yours because you messed with the wrong guy this time, unlike the majority of the people on the forums, i actually know people at THG, and can garuntee your butt in a sling, that was pretty stupid, i recommend you start apologizing promtly.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
"Alienware’s Video Array is not limited to 2 video cards. Future implementations may take advantage of this and put 4 or more video cards into one system. This would probably be more geared towards professional applications like rendering farms."

Id love to see the electric bill on a home pc sporting 4 6800 Ultras, minimum req psu 2000 watts.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, GeForce 6800 GT.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
they recommend 800 watts for 2. thats what they used in E3.
double that for 4. :wink:

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/Finger.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 10/04/04 11:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
Xeenrecoil, from what I can see, you're the one who started calling people names, you called Mopeygoth a fanATIc for no real reson as far as I can tell.

His posts seemed pretty saavy to the fact that it's all marketing BS and I don't think he was being blindly brand fanatical at all.

Maybe you should pay attention to your own advice, fella. A little more respectfulness goes a long way.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
dammit, i just remembered leaving my PC on back home. Dont ask what its doing. (...somehting on the lines of internet, p2...)

[-peep-]...thats 550+300 watts power...my roommate is gonna curse me when the bill comes.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/Finger.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

cleeve

Illustrious
LOL. Or what? You goona have me kicked off of the board for making an observational and unoffensive comment?

Go for it. I triple dog dare you.

Throwing your weight around threatening people because you claim to know the moderators does not automatically create respect, I'm afraid. Quite the opposite.

If you ever disrespect me or anyone else like this ever again, i will make it my personal mission in life to get you banned from this forum
Yeah you do that buddy! You go and ask for a ban for basically calling you out. You call people fanATIcs, and you think any mod is going to take you seriously! Sure, right!

You show respect, and you'll get respect, but you have to earn it bud, and you're far from that place.

that type of blatent disrespect is unecessary and quite frankly lewd and flat out intollerable
So is your post. You can dish it out, but you can't take it. What a hypocrite.

i dont know who you think you are but you wont be doing it again if i have anything to say about it.
And thankfully that kind of power isn't in the hands of someone as rash and ignorant and arrogant as you.

You better hear what im saying cuz im not playing around with you.
You better hear what I'm saying back, 'WHO CARES!?!'

If you think im full of it just do it again, and see what happens.
Well if that's an open invitation I may just take you up on that. What you've written so far doesn't lead me to believe there's anything to fear from you, because any credibility of you being an 'innocent victim' died with your name calling.

You owe me an apology, and from what i hear you owe alot of other people an opology as well.
Oh 'other people' needed to have you fight their battles is that it, or did you contact them to have them help you fight your battles. I owe you nothing, respect isn't granted, like I said it's earned, and so is the spotlight of derision, which YOU swung around to focus on yourself.

Oh and btw you should really temper that problem of yours because you messed with the wrong guy this time
Once again, shaking, Oooohhh! Your veiled threats mean very little.

unlike the majority of the people on the forums, i actually know people at THG
Yippee, so once again showing it's not you but these aquaintances who would have to get your A$$ out of the fire cause you couldn't do it yourself. IF any of them spent even a minute reading your posts and mine, they'll say what everyone else here would. Figth your own battles and pick your fights wisely. I didn't pick you at random, that is other people's style, however I will ridicule you for just cause, which you have amply provided.

and can garuntee your butt in a sling, that was pretty stupid, i recommend you start apologizing promtly.
That's not going to happen, not until you get down on your hands & knees and apologize to mopeygoth for your fanATIc remark too. Unless this is another area you're hypocritical about. You don't feel fanATIc is bad thus you don't see the need to apologize. Well, I don't see my responding to your action as something that is bad (if anything it had a positive effect), and thus I won't be apologizing either.

You sound like a spoiled little child with your, 'you better watch out or I'm gonna tell' attitude. <A HREF="http://underworld.fortunecity.com/playstation/190/Homemama.wav" target="_new">You go ahead</A> and try and hide behind the apron of whomever it is you know at THG, but if they are even slightly objective they'll probably just tell you to stop provoking people.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Oh Oh chick fight!!!

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Not surprising you'd join in.

Now all that's needed is some Jell-O!

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Good idea Grapey poo.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>