OC'ing Phenom 9950be/crosshair II formula

psycroptic_

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Hey all.

So i've got this phenom rig that I put together recently. It runs fine, but I've been having some trouble overclocking the thing. I seem to have a limit at about 3ghz for overclocking. I'm able to raise the multiplier in the BIOS to about 14x with no issues; post, vista loads, benchmarks run, etc. If i try to raise the multi past this, vista refuses to load; it either bluescreens immediately, or just freezes solid during loading; even trying to load the install disc freezes, as long as the cpu is oc'd over 3ghz.

My question I suppose is whether anyone else has had this problem? Interstingly enough, linux runs absolutely fine on this machine; I've been able to reach around 3.5ghz with this cpu, and linux has zero problems. So i'm inclined to think it's not a hardware issue?

(Btw, all hardware is less than 2 months old, and everything (HD,Cpu,RAM,GPU) has been tested and passed in both this and other machines.)

CPU: Phenom 9950BE
Mobo: Asus Crosshair II formula (BIOS 1101)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2) TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
GPU: nvidia 9600GT
PSU: Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W RS-850-EMBA
HDs: WD Velociraptor 150GB, Caviar 1TB WD1001FALS-00J7B0
Audio: SB Audigy 2 platinum

vibo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
i have nearly the same system, but also have the same issue :cry:

maybe we should add more voltage for the cpu.

anyway i d grateful if somebody would tell the solution :bounce:

psycroptic_

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I mean, yeah this **** sucks. I now own an overclocking board that can't really overclock. I've tried everything; new and old bios versions, all sorts of different voltage settings... I just don't get it.

Btw, do you have any problems running benchmarks? Half the time sandra locks up hard or blue screens when I try to run the cpu benchmarks, and even when it does succeed, I get pretty pitiful scores.

It's not like this is THAT exotic of a setup.. unfortunately I can't even post on asus's forums; whenever I try to register I'm taken to a very nice "Server Application Error" page. It looks like I might be looking for a new motherboard soon... kind of a shame since this looked like a badass board

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249567-29-9950-share-info

I'm also running the ASUS Crosshair II Formula w 9950BE OCd to 3.2G running a 16X multiplier on Vista 64 home Premium

For reference here are my exact BIOS settings for the Crosshair II Formula, unless a change is indicated the setting is Auto!

BIOS version 1101

Extreme Tweaker Settings;

AI = Manual
CPU Freq = 200
CPU Multi = 16X
K8 NB HT Speed = 2G
K8 NB HT Width = 16 16
PCI-E = 100
CPU-NB Multi = 10X
Vcore = 1.4250v
DDR2 Voltage = 2.100v [Note; Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5D]

DRAM Configuration

Memory Clock Frequency = DDR2 1066
Tcl = 5
Trcd = 5
Trp = 5
Tras = 15
1T/2T/ = 2T
Ganged = Enabled
Remapping = Enabled
Skew = Auto

Unfortunately not all hardware can OC the same, but these settings should at least help you, my system is rock solid at these settings on air cooling using a Zalman 9700LED cooler.

Hope this helps! Ryan

tehlexinator

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I honestly don't see how you got it to 3.5 on that mobo. No SB 750 + nForce platform = low OC.

My buddy is running the same thing with 3.0 on Vista and is extremely happy with his OC. We got it to 3.2 but it was not stable enough to be a gaming machine.

SB750 really helps with the Phenoms.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

vibo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

unfortunately theese settings didnt help me!

at prime small fft it freezes immediately :cry:

is it possible that my memory is wrong?

vibo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

supertalent t100
3x1gb modules

but today am gonna get my new rams
2x2 ocz reaper
ihopefully that will help
but i din think, my problem is caused by the ram

3 x 1G Modules would definitely be a problem, you're throwing off the dual channel, you could've dropped to 2G in the primary slots and gotten the dual channel back, but 3 modules throws it off.

Set the OCZ timings and voltage manually with the Crosshair II, you'll see a big difference with 4G as 2 x 2, your dual channel capability will be balanced out.

vibo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

still doesn work
:(

can anybody attach a crosshair 2 bios for me pls