OCZ Reveals Agility 3, Solid 3 SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I just bought the Revodrive. It's really just 2 60gb SSD's in raid connected to a pcie slot, but it seriously works. It's as fast as these and costs 50 dollars less than the similar storage size.

Thesmj

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
How does the Agility product line compare to the Vertex product line? Is one faster than the other? What are the trade offs?

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Looks like Vertex3 is the fastest, Agility3 slightly slower, and Solid3 the slowest.
Vertex 3 is 550/500/75,000
Agility 3 is 525/475/50,000
Solid 3 is 500/450/20,000
read/write/4k random write IOPS

I plan on buying a Revodrive X2 once AMD 9xx series motherboards are available. I want one so I can do AMD + NVidia SLI while using a Revodrive for the system drive and my own array for everything else.

I expect the IOPS difference is what's gonna matter (since MB/s is within 10%), so why does the Solid 3 go for only $1 less? Is there anyone out there that's actually thinking, "Man I wish I could get something way worse AND buy a $1 taco with my money."

Seriously, if that's a selling point, they should just sell these drives with a "free taco" coupon.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
What I don't get is, does the Solid 3 have any advantages over the Agility 3? It is slower and yet costs pretty much the same as the Agility 3, so why buy it unless it has some advantages. No one else scratching their heads over this one?

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
What's the speed with random reads and writes? Doesn't matter if this SSD does 2TB/s at sequential read if the random read is 20MB/s, it will still be slow as a dead dog. Sequential reads and writes are only good when dealing with streaming or working wity very big files, not for using it as a OS system drive with tons of small files and random reads and writes all across the drive.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]These drives are getting close to the speed limits of SATA III, so I believe a new standard should be created SATA IV.[/citation]
The new standard a step up from SATA3 is what you'd call SDRAM or DDR. :)

[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]The new standard a step up from SATA3 is what you'd call SDRAM or DDR.[/citation]

No, I think that's at least two steps up from SATA3 :)
One step up would be PCI Express, and SSDs using that are already available. However, I wouldn't be surprised if SSDs eventually get fast enough to plug into the memory DIMMs.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]MauveCloud[/nom]No, I think that's at least two steps up from SATA3 One step up would be PCI Express, and SSDs using that are already available. However, I wouldn't be surprised if SSDs eventually get fast enough to plug into the memory DIMMs.[/citation]
SSD in the memory DIMMs!! Wow, that would be really fast.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
OCZ? Never again. I have an OCZ Vertex 2 and to upgrade the firmware, i must do it from another hard drive with windows on it or using some Linux guide.
This is ridiculous. OCZ you're a joke.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
@dalauder-- Well, no.. we didnt really say the same thing. You said that the Solid 3 should be cheaper.. But I suggested that perhaps the Solid 3 has some advantages over the Agility 3 that this article simply failed to bring to light :)

@techcurious--Hmmm...good point. This description really makes it sound worthless. Then again, the Agility 2 was worthless compared to the Vertex 2 aside from sale prices where you'd actually see a price difference.

Of course, the Agility 2 didn't have only 40% of the IOPS. It actually was comparable, just like the Agility 3.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]Looks like Vertex3 is the fastest, Agility3 slightly slower, and Solid3 the slowest.Vertex 3 is 550/500/75,000Agility 3 is 525/475/50,000Solid 3 is 500/450/20,000read/write/4k random write IOPS[/citation]
Not a lot of difference between the price of the Agility and Solid either. I think the Agility is probably the sweet spot.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]@techcurious--that's pretty much exactly what I said, but you made no mention of tacos.[/citation]
Free tacos??? I'll take the inferior-but-equally-expensive Solid series, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.