Question Odd SSd/NVME problems

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
Good morning I have an intel ssd 660p series 1TB (link to the one I bought on amazon) amazon link to the item now am not sure if I have never noticed it or not but today I came back to my PC for it to be so slow at responding to anything so I took some pictures below and could anyone tell me why it's doing what it was, please.

Thanks

Link to the pictures

Not sure why I cant get the pictures to show up :/
Edit 1 The little box that says 323.2 MB went to 390 ish and went dark red.

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
Where is that pic with the 323.2 from? What software or what area of Windows?

The Crystal Disk Mark stuff looks ok. As does Crystal Disk Info.
That's from windows task manager that was the user the Disk
The top pic with "323.2 " looks to be from Task Manager, the Process tab?

If so, something is using the drive.
yes that is right, I was installing a bit of software at the time, but I have had a computer for over 30 years, and never seen it like this before, even if it is that why would it be so slow at that speed ? the drive does 1800 so why would it make it so slow ? it was like it took 10 secs to respond to anything and even trying to load a page took for ever.

USAFRet

Titan
yes that is right, I was installing a bit of software at the time, but I have had a computer for over 30 years, and never seen it like this before, even if it is that why would it be so slow at that speed ? the drive does 1800 so why would it make it so slow ? it was like it took 10 secs to respond to anything and even trying to load a page took for ever.
"1800" is the Sequential speed. Reading or writing a large single block of data.
Like copying a single ISO file, between two similar drives.

Installing something is totally different. A whole lot of tiny files that get written to the storage space.
Doing that, an SSD is maybe only a little faster than an HDD, maybe twice as fast.

This is true across ALL SSDs.
(I also have a 660p, among others)

Where the SSD really shows its benefit is in the near zero access time.

I'd guess it has something to do with the particular task (software installation) you were doing at the time.

The 660p's SLC cache does decline considerably as it fills up. How much of the total capacity is used?

I've got a 660p myself. No notable issues.

Were you installing the software from the 660p to the 660p? Or from some other source drive? Or?

A jillion small files? Relatively few large files?

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
"1800" is the Sequential speed. Reading or writing a large single block of data.
Like copying a single ISO file, between two similar drives.

Installing something is totally different. A whole lot of tiny files that get written to the storage space.
Doing that, an SSD is maybe only a little faster than an HDD, maybe twice as fast.

This is true across ALL SSDs.
(I also have a 660p, among others)

Where the SSD really shows its benefit is in the near zero access time.
so would this be better than the one I have on my motherboard right now ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TJ2649W?tag=pepperegc22-21&ascsubtag=2493651706

Better in some benchmarks, maybe.

Perceptibly better in daily use much less likely unless you have some oft-repeated specific task that could consistently take advantage of the Samsung. Possible but not typical.

Is this a task that you do 10 times a day and might save 3 minutes each time?

USAFRet

Titan
so would this be better than the one I have on my motherboard right now ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TJ2649W?tag=pepperegc22-21&ascsubtag=2493651706
Yes and no.

That Samsung is another PCIe 3.0. But the Sequential is significantly faster.

However......

For the particular task that you seemed to be doing, you would likely see zero difference!

Here is my 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0) and 660p (slow 3.0)
IeR3U07.jpg

The RND4KQ1T1 line is where you should be looking at. Not a lot of difference.
The Sequential number at the top..big diff.

Your 660p is fine. Your expectations based on the advertising number is the issue.

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
Yes and no.

That Samsung is another PCIe 3.0. But the Sequential is significantly faster.

However......

For the particular task that you seemed to be doing, you would likely see zero difference!

Here is my 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0) and 660p (slow 3.0)
IeR3U07.jpg

The RND4KQ1T1 line is where you should be looking at. Not a lot of difference.
The Sequential number at the top..big diff.

Your 660p is fine. Your expectations based on the advertising number is the issue.
Thanks for the info :)