G

I got my new 1.2 GHz Athlon-C from newegg last friday. I had to look for it though. It came in a box with two 3.5" floppy drives and a video card. The CPU was in a zip-lock baggie, laying on the bubblewrap inside one of the floppy drive boxes!! Somehow I expected more packaging! I thought it would at least have its own box.

It works fine though. Plugged it into an Iwill KK266 and put a Volcano II on it. Zero problems!

Is that how OEM cpus are typically shipped?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

G

Yep I think so. My 1GHz Athlon came in a little clear plastic case. I've heard that the boxed CPU's are better then the OEMs but they are also more expensive. Who knows.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Some places don't even offer a 30day warranty!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heatsink/fan?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did you noticed all the greasy finger prints? yeah this is the OEM 15-30day deal, what did you expect? you're getting your moneys worth!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

Commercial builders (including Dell, Gateway, Micron, etc.) choose OEM packaging for the simple reason that retail packaging generates waste, costs more and because most manufacturers offer it. But most 'white boxed' components come with the same warrantee offer for retail packaged goods. CPUs ARE THE EXCEPTION.

However, for components like modems, hard drives, network cards, etc (from certain makers), you don't get THE REBATEs that are offered for 'retail packaging only'. Makes sense, since you didn't pay for it. White boxes and OEM units COME WITH NO INSTRUCTIONS, and are aimed at professionals that don't need them (and the industry is offering them this in a 'professional courtesy').

Uh, of course there is the HSF thing that Arrow remembered to note. The price difference never justifies the HSF, but it IS something to REMEMBER !

As far as quality is concerned, I have never had a single problem with any white box component, which is typically what I choose. For major builders like Dell, they get a credit for any bad processor, good towards the next shipment ! But I don't think that they would be willing to accept sub-standard CPUs, just the same, because they would get a reputation for selling bad computers !

Has anyone here had an experience that lead them to believe that they got a lower quality product in a white box, or an OEM chip ??

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clonan on 04/03/01 00:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have bought plenty of OEM parts from quality vendors, and have never had a problem. However, I would be wary of buying anything unpackaged at any of the computer shows or flea markets.

A good vendor will include a years warranty on OEM products, even CPU chips.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My 1.2GHz Athlon came in one of those manilla envelopes with the single layer of bubble wrap on the inside. I'd be happy you got a bit of cardboard around it at all, as one edge of pins was slightly bent on my CPU when it arrived. =) Not enough to even have to bend them back, I just had to insert it into the socket to kind of leverage them into place, but it still pisses me off they would send a CPU in that way. Kind of like the cheapo companies that send memory in envelopes, so that by the time it gets to you, you've got 2 halves instead of one. Amazing what they'll do to shave that $1 to beat their competitors.

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/