Question OEM factory settings restore Windows 11 update?

Dec 19, 2023
I was wondering: Will 22H2 or 23H2 be installed on the Windows 11 HP PC through Windows Update that I just used the OEM factory settings memory stick which took Windows 11 back to 21H2 version?

Solution
This is true. You can only update to 23H2 from 22H2, so you need first to upgrade 21H2 to 22H2. You can do that either via normal Windows Update if this update is shown as available to you. If not then download the Windows Installation Assistant and update to 22H2 via that. Once you're running 22H2 the update to 23H2 should be automatically offered via Windows Update.

Alternatively, instead of doing a factory reset using the vendor's USB drive, simply download 23H2 installation media (from the same link above) and clean install 23H2. Windows Update should find all your drivers and you'll have a system without the bloatware that the vendor USB drive will install.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. If it doesn't do that automatically within 7 or so days, you can always manually let Windows to check for updates from Windows Settings window. Then, there is always the option to manually download and install the update yourself, IF the automatic update, for whatever reason, doesn't work.

Reactions: WinSoft
Dec 19, 2023
Yes. If it doesn't do that automatically within 7 or so days, you can always manually let Windows to check for updates from Windows Settings window. Then, there is always the option to manually download and install the update yourself, IF the automatic update, for whatever reason, doesn't work.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: Aeacus
Dec 19, 2023
Sorry to quote you again, but I've also been told the following:

No, if you factory reset your Windows 11 PC and it ends up with 21H2 (which is no longer supported), 23H2 will not automatically become available through Windows Update over time. This is because Microsoft has stopped offering upgrades to Windows 11 23H2 from earlier, unsupported versions like 21H2.

I'm very confused, some further insight would be appreciated.

ubuysa

Distinguished
This is true. You can only update to 23H2 from 22H2, so you need first to upgrade 21H2 to 22H2. You can do that either via normal Windows Update if this update is shown as available to you. If not then download the Windows Installation Assistant and update to 22H2 via that. Once you're running 22H2 the update to 23H2 should be automatically offered via Windows Update.

Alternatively, instead of doing a factory reset using the vendor's USB drive, simply download 23H2 installation media (from the same link above) and clean install 23H2. Windows Update should find all your drivers and you'll have a system without the bloatware that the vendor USB drive will install.

Reactions: WinSoft
Solution
Dec 19, 2023

Thank you so much for clarifying this for me as I was a bit confused, I will follow your instructions. Really appreciate it!