[SOLVED] off grid mining?

Jan 15, 2021
i'm not sure where to post this ... i wanted to set up a couple of mining rigs to mine off the grid using a home solar system with a battery bank to power them with .... is this a pipe dream or can it be done? any info/advice greatly appreciated.

Solution
right\, but it should work right its not impossible to do is it?
btw thank you for your input very cool

Many things can be done, can you make an electric lawnmower with 9v batteries? Sure with enough of them. Can you fit 10 people in a Cooper Mini, sure if you find the right people and practice, can you dam the Mississippi with a spoon and an army of beavers, probably not "impossible", especially during a drought.

The way to see if it will work is to try it with your equipment. Enough solar panels/batteries/wind power/geothermal, whatever, can power a full house. If the setup is worth doing in your case, that is up to you to see the cost vs benefit.

There is a large difference between what is practical / realistic / worth...
Jan 15, 2021
Just like on grid...this is simply supply and demand.

On grid, supply speaks to $ paid to the elec company.
Off grid....can your solar and battery configuration support enough hardware to actually mine more than pennies per day?

with my current hardware and the price of bitcoin its like $10 day. plus the hope that bitcoin keeps rising . i just don't want to pay $0.50 a kwh to the power company

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
"mining" is possible on any platform.
The question is...is it profitable.

You can mine crypto on a Raspberry Pi.
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/mine-cryptocurrency-raspberry-pi

tenths of a cent per year, however....Pretty much a waste of time.

For your case....how long can you run that system on your solar/battery config.
Only you can tell.
And how does that mining impact the rest of your house use?

Reactions: offgridminer

Many things can be done, can you make an electric lawnmower with 9v batteries? Sure with enough of them. Can you fit 10 people in a Cooper Mini, sure if you find the right people and practice, can you dam the Mississippi with a spoon and an army of beavers, probably not "impossible", especially during a drought.

The way to see if it will work is to try it with your equipment. Enough solar panels/batteries/wind power/geothermal, whatever, can power a full house. If the setup is worth doing in your case, that is up to you to see the cost vs benefit.

There is a large difference between what is practical / realistic / worth doing vs what is impossible.

Last edited:
Solution