ClydeClerk

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
office 2013 shuts down when opening documents - win 10 - worked great yesterday. have tried repair and reinstall. Also installed new Quicken 2019 right before error started.

Solution
If the problem didn't start until AFTER the Quicken 2019 install, can you revert back to an earlier time/restore point before the Quicken install? That might solve the crashes from happening.

ClydeClerk

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Yes, tried compatibility, no change. Added product key (wasn't asked during reinstall), no change. Have noticed that PowerPoint, Access, and Publisher seem to work fine. Word and Excel open, but won't load any documents, won't start a new document, no error message, they just shut down.

ClydeClerk

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Not that familiar with event viewer. It doesn't seem to show anything about the crashes, although there have been lots over the last few hours.

Are you sure it's actually Office 2013 that's trying to open these documents? The bi-annual Windows 10 major updates install a trial version of Office 365 which I've seen override the default app settings, switching it from Office 2013 to itself. So when you try to open a doc, it tries to open it with Office 365, not Office 2013.

Basically, instead of double-clicking an Office document, go to Start -> Microsoft Office 2013 -> Word to start Word by itself. See if that runs.

ClydeClerk

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Did not work. I'm running the exe file dated 2012. It opens fine. Then I try to open a document, the program closes.

ClydeClerk

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Uninstalled Quicken - same issue with Word & Excel. Uninstalled and reinstalled Office - same issue with Word & Excel. I did a restart between each attempt to use Word. Did get a message on the restart after uninstalling Quicken that there was an add on interfering when I tried to open Word - disabled - made no difference. That's the only error message I get. The programs - Word, Excel - just close . . .

ClydeClerk

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
YES! Thank you Blackink. System Restore did it. That eliminated scanner & webcam. After restore all worked well. Reinstalled scanner & webcam with downloads of most recent software and all is working happily. I now suspect that problem was scanner software was old and was loading an OCR utility that caused the crashes. Thank heavens for system restore. Thank heavens I actually created a restore point (must make more use of this option). And did I mention THANK YOU Blackink.

Jul 14, 2019
office 2013 shuts down when opening documents - win 10 - worked great yesterday. have tried repair and reinstall. Also installed new Quicken 2019 right before error started.
Thanks to this thread, I figured out the problem. It was scanner and OCR software. I uninstalled and Office 2013 programs worked fine (Windows 10). Then I downloaded the scanner and OCR software from the Epson website and all is good.