Official Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
i5-3550 Ivy Bridge review:

"The thing is i got this cpu today and i installed it onto my case. Then when i boot it up its fine and everything. Then after like 20 minutes it starts to have a black screen, i taught it was my power problem so when i got on, i check the asrock temp sensor in the bios. The temp was 85 and going up by the second by fives. Later did i know it became 100oC then my computer shutted down to keep my proccesor from over heating"

i5-3570K Ivy Bridge review:

"Wasn't expecting the heat

Pros: Fast, big upgrade speed wise from older core 2 duo I had before. Newest tech for reasonable price. Was expecting it to run cooler and more efficient due to hype about new transistors. Waited through Sandy Bridge for this release.

Cons: I'm a mild overclocker and was expecting to get a small over clock on the stock cooler without seeing 90C temps using stock voltages. That didn't happen, 4.0ghz = 90C for me. That's not even a 5% overclock.

They should price this unlocked boxed chip lower and not force users to buy the HSF if it can barely keep the chip cool at stock speeds. I hate paying for something just to have to throw it away.

Took an egg off for this heat issue and pathetic stock cooler.

Other Thoughts: I'm sure spending more money on a serious cooler I can get the temps down. I'm sure for a serious overclocker my complaint isn't a valid one. But I am slightly disappointed in this release given all the hype about being more efficient, then having to deal with this heat issue which seems pretty warm to me even at stock speeds. I was expecting it to run cooler than SB, not hotter."

"... with CM Hyper212 evo, after installing drivers immediately went to 43x100mhx for 4.3ghz, no voltage change..hit 70c and started to worry about the heat issues."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%20600315409&IsNodeId=1&name=Ivy%20Bridge

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

Yes I will for sure.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Haswell has some significant design changes from IB. transactional cache, L4 cache. Both brand new things for a desktop CPU.

IB really only has more GPU cores than SB. Otherwise they're the same. I wouldn't call it a prototype but it is their first mass produced 3D transistor. They will certainly find some layout changes to make. There's a lot more variations to optimize in 3 dimensions.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Yes, Haswell is 22nm as well.

No there won't be 4D transistors. Atoms are too big to fit in the 4th physical dimension (according to M-Theory/string theory). ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

We'll have quantum computers well before that kind of power could be attained.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
overclocking.? what estimated speed, what case and how many fans, what hs/f or liquid, ambient temps including climate change,
actually current room temp and estimation on utility bills with A/C running.?
not overclocking, do not worry about it..
just saying...
it's not like I haven't thought about it...
:heink: :whistle:

Is OC void warranty ? I just wanna know SB is good over IB i mean pros and cons for gamers

Yeah, I've used that as well - seems to absolutely max out the stress factor...

I understand and like I stated, I've been spoiled but bot units AMD (975BE) and Intel (2500K), with overclocks as high as 4.2GHz on both
I'm still under 60C full (load/gaming) on both.
depending on room (ambient) temps mid to low 50C's.

Ivy might run well @ upper 60's to 80C but ME PERSONALLY, not wanting that much heat being generated in my room.
certainly not summertime and today it hit 88F (31C) and it's not even summer yet.
running A/C cost extra money aftermarket cooling or not.

IB's temp is not what would dump excess heat into your room, that would be the wattage. For instance, I have a soldering gun that uses only 250W and the tip gets up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. And my wife has a hair dryer that uses 1200W and the temp only gets up to 160 degrees F. But if I wanted to heat up a room, like my bathroom in winter, I'd use her hair dryer and not my soldering gun :D..

Besides, soldering naked tends to lead to unfortunate accidents (not that I've tried :p)...

This is exactly what I intend to do, if I can ever find the parts in stock. Except I'm partial to Zalman coolers so I'll probably go with the 9900, if it'll fit into my midtower case along with a GTX-680.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007

Frankly, this experiment is not rigorous enough to prove to me the TIM is not (partly) to blame.

I think Intel could have made overclocking much cooler with solder.

I think they realized their new chips were "cool enough" at stock with TIM. They realized that stellar overclocking on air improvements would make SNB-E a rather silly choice for many enthusiasts, and they want to save some frequency increase for Haswell.
They have a lead on AMD right now, it's time to limit improvement and save some for later.
All in the business plan, my friends.

G

for the next time you want to run around taking temps.:

Infrared Thermometers
thermometers_prd_cat1_670px_x_220px.jpg

That statement makes a lot of sense!

G

did i read before you were interested in an ivy notebook if it undervolts?

more for the graphics end but thought you'd be interested, along with others.
Intel HD Graphics 4000 Benchmarked

dknydiep

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Quick q. How do I enable the hd 4000 on my 3570k. It's defaulting to "standard VGA" 64mb. How do I fix this until my 680 gtx comes in?

SB-E was already a rather silly choice for many enthusiasts as its advantages did not outweigh the costs associated with it so it wouldn't have mattered.
Plus the majority of desktop sales would be mainstream over high end anyways, always has been and always will be. SB-E is a nich market for the most part. I think we have sold two SB-E setups but when we finally got SB up and going we sold something like 5 or 6 2500/2600Ks in the first month.

We will never know the real reason behind the choice TBH but I think Haswel will be a major update again like SB was to Nehalem/Gulftown.

Hmm, if true then the lowest parts are $225 - wonder what Trinity's price range will be??

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hey, I heard that IB speeds are faster than SB speeds... meaning 4.0 on IB is about the same as 3.6 on SB. Is that true? Maybe the temps don't matter all that much, then