[SOLVED] Old HDD Remaining Lifetime is 82 Days

Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020
My PC is still running with an old Seagate drive (ST31000524AS) that I have been using since 2013 as the main storage drive. I have been monitoring the health of my drives using HDSentinel, particularly the old 1TB drive, and it has reached the point where its estimated remaining lifetime is now down to 82 days. What should I expect to happen as the est. remaining lifetime continues to decrease? Or should I replace the drive before that happens?

I have been looking at buying used drives to possibly save some cash and my storage at the same time, would a Seagate (ST2000DM001-1CH164) drive with perfect HDS health be alright? The HDSentinel image attached to the listing makes me want to consider it regardless of the drive's release date.

Solution
What should I expect to happen as the est. remaining lifetime continues to decrease?
there is no definite lifetime for any drive.
you are just encroaching on the guaranteed lifespan determined by the manufacturer.
after this time expires there would be no manufacturer warranty or other repair options available.

of course all drives do age and become less reliable or may even show signs of performance decreasing as the age increases.
should I replace the drive
i would definitely get a better new drive to use as the OS and application host drive ASAP.

just retire this old Seagate to a backup/storage position and don't store anything there that is deemed important without having it also stored elsewhere.
What should I expect to happen as the est. remaining lifetime continues to decrease?
there is no definite lifetime for any drive.
you are just encroaching on the guaranteed lifespan determined by the manufacturer.
after this time expires there would be no manufacturer warranty or other repair options available.

of course all drives do age and become less reliable or may even show signs of performance decreasing as the age increases.
should I replace the drive
i would definitely get a better new drive to use as the OS and application host drive ASAP.

just retire this old Seagate to a backup/storage position and don't store anything there that is deemed important without having it also stored elsewhere.

Solution

Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020

I've already upgraded to an SSD as my boot drive, although I do store most if not all of my files on the old hard drive. Do you think getting a new 1TB drive for my files and use the old drive for games would work well enough?

My PC is still running with an old Seagate drive (ST31000524AS) that I have been using since 2013 as the main storage drive. I have been monitoring the health of my drives using HDSentinel, particularly the old 1TB drive, and it has reached the point where its estimated remaining lifetime is now down to 82 days. What should I expect to happen as the est. remaining lifetime continues to decrease? Or should I replace the drive before that happens?

I have been looking at buying used drives to possibly save some cash and my storage at the same time, would a Seagate (ST2000DM001-1CH164) drive with perfect HDS health be alright? The HDSentinel image attached to the listing makes me want to consider it regardless of the drive's release date.
Since everyone makes backups......run it.
If the hdd decides to go POOF just fit in a new hdd and restore.
Good to go.

BTW.....do some house cleaning on the C drive it's too full.

Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020
i would get a large(1TB+) SSD for game installations and just keep this old drive as extra storage, backups, etc.
In short, your drive is unsalvageable. Just backup your data and replace it.
BTW.....do some house cleaning on the C drive it's too full.
I got a 2TB Seagate Barracuda for all my files, relocated my 'This PC' folders to it, and freed up over a 100 gigs from my C: Drive. I'll keep the old 1TB Drive for games or extra storage for files I don't mind losing, I can always reinstall the games if the drive fails anyways. Thanks a lot!

relocated my 'This PC' folders to it, and freed up over a 100 gigs from my C: Drive. I'll keep the old 1TB Drive for games or extra storage
i'd really be looking into a separate large SSD for game installations.
many newer titles can really benefit from loading & running on faster media.

having games on a separate drive from OS and user files can also be a benefit since only a particular game is reading from the drive at a time and can offer faster load times for large textures, maps, etc.
can also be a benefit in the future too when reinstalling OS or upgrading other storage options.

TRENDING THREADS