Question Old laptop won't always turn on after SSD, Window's 10 and CMOS battery upgrade

Jan 22, 2021
Hello,

So recently, I upgrade an older insys w76tun with a 500gb Kingston SSD and also a Windows 10 Operation system. All good after the installation, windows 10 running perfect more faster as expected. After I opened the laptop and replaced the CMOS battery with a new 3V unit because I was missing the time/day data every time I disconnected the PC from the power supply (I haven't a battery for this PC).
After this replacement the problems just start. My PC starts to shut down after 2-3 minuts after boot like a temperature safety behaviour and looks like i need some time to be able to restart the PC. Also when I tried to open the BIOS pressing the F2 button, the system also shutdown immediately. When I tried to boot without the SSD or the 3v CMOS battery the same behaviour occurs.

Do you have some ideia about what is going on here? I'm totally lost and worry if I damaged something when I open the laptop.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Hello,

So recently, I upgrade an older insys w76tun with a 500gb Kingston SSD and also a Windows 10 Operation system. All good after the installation, windows 10 running perfect more faster as expected. After I opened the laptop and replaced the CMOS battery with a new 3V unit because I was missing the data every time I disconnected the PC from the power supply (I haven't a battery for this PC).
After this replacement the problems just start. My PC starts to shut down after 2-3 minuts after boot like a temperature safety behaviour and looks like i need some time to be able to restart the PC. Also when I tried to open the BIOS pressing the F2 button, the system also shutdown immediately. When I tried to boot without the SSD or the 3v CMOS battery the same behaviour occurs.

Do you have some ideia about what is going on here? I'm totally lost and worry if I damaged something when I open the laptop.

Thanks for your time.
Leave the cmos battery out pc unplugged and laptop battery out hold power button for 30s x2 times. Then plug power cord in and boot to bios if can if this works see if theres a bios update available maybe ssd isn't supported very well under this bios

Reactions: Aderito Abreu
Jan 22, 2021
Leave the cmos battery out pc unplugged and laptop battery out hold power button for 30s x2 times. Then plug power cord in and boot to bios if can if this works see if theres a bios update available maybe ssd isn't supported very well under this bios

Hi dear thanks for your tip.

I was able to boot into bios once time again, then I recheck the version is the 62.98.62.00.06 build on 03/05/09. So I just contact insys support to see if there is other version capable of use my sdd, I'm waiting some answer.
I also tried to boot once again into bios and the problem remains the PC shutdown, sounds like kind of lucky (try and fail) to access into BIOS.