Dec 7, 2019
I’ve trying to look for an answer but drawing a blank.

I have a 1200W CoolerMaster Silent Gold Pro from a PC back in 2013. And with my new build I just bought a EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra.

The Card requires two 8pin connectors (6+2 right?) and my question is do I take 2 of those cables and plug it in even though they both have an extra 6pin connector attached to the end?

Big noob here pls help

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I’ve trying to look for an answer but drawing a blank.

I have a 1200W CoolerMaster Silent Gold Pro from a PC back in 2013. And with my new build I just bought a EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra.

The Card requires two 8pin connectors (6+2 right?) and my question is do I take 2 of those cables and plug it in even though they both have an extra 6pin connector attached to the end?

Big noob here pls help

Whew, I was a little concerned when I saw "2080 Ti" and "old PSU," but this was one of the rare competently made Cooler Master PSUs of this era.

Don't worry about the extra six-pin connector. Lots of cables have connectors in which it's not envisioned that all the connectors will be used. And yes, 8-pin connectors are typically 6+2. It's done this way so that people aren't accidentally using the wrong pinout which is a risk in a solid 8-pin connection that's going to have 2 pins not go into a 6-pin connector.

Reactions: Oostin
Dec 7, 2019
Whew, I was a little concerned when I saw "2080 Ti" and "old PSU," but this was one of the rare competently made Cooler Master PSUs of this era.

Don't worry about the extra six-pin connector. Lots of cables have connectors in which it's not envisioned that all the connectors will be used. And yes, 8-pin connectors are typically 6+2. It's done this way so that people aren't accidentally using the wrong pinout which is a risk in a solid 8-pin connection that's going to have 2 pins not go into a 6-pin connector.
haha yeah trust me, I wouldn’t want to use something unless I thought there was a chance it could work, that answered my question though! Thanks!