Oldtimer Learning New Tricks help setting up LAN

wdtice

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
I have become the IT guy where I work and have hodge-podged a LAN together and have it functioning but know that somethings are not correct as I cannot see all pieces on network. My setup is as follows:
dsl modem to Belkin wireless router that is upfeeding a sonic firewall switch from one port and a dell powerswitch from another port so I can get all PC's in our network to see and talk to wireless print server for main printer use. The sonic switch has a port feeding the dell switch so all PC's can see the files that are shared. The concern I have is that the wireless is feeding the sonic switch and dell switch while a cable is also feeding the dell switch from the sonic switch. My problem if I run dsl to wireless to sonic switch to dell switch the PC's in dell switch cannot see the wireless print server or the PC's in the sonic switch. How do I overcome this and what would be the best way to setup the LAN for optimum functionality and speed. Currently all PC's can access the internet.

sturm

Splendid
If I am reading this correctly you have introduced a loop in your network by connecting both switches to the router and also to each other.
Is the Belkin router a business class router or a home type router?
Unless the dell switch and sonic are running compatible software to prevent loops you will have problems.
Try disconnecting the connection from the router to the Dell switch and route everything through the sonic firewall, opening the appropriate ports that are needed.

wdtice

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
You read correctly. The Belkin router is home version I assume because it was purchased by the co. owners who have no experience with these matters. I have setup as you instructed before and, if I read correctly the issue I have (software?), prevents the PC's in the dell switch from seeing the wireless print server. That is where I need direction of where to seek info to resolve.

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
If you could put up a simple drawing of the network and the exact type of equipment used it'd be easier to see what goes wrong. Of course, once you make the drawing it's likely you'll se the problem immedieately ;)

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Might be better off to set firewall out first, have your firewall in front of the router, then connect each switch to your router, but not to each other, and then have your pc's on each switch connect to their own switch. I'm thinking that'd be your simplest.