Onboard raid vs pci raid

ruibexiga

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Hello,

i want to make raid 1 but i don´t know wich is better: Onboard raid vs pci raid,
I heard that If you are using a PCI card RAID controller to mirror your files and your motherboard develops a fault, you can install the controller and hard disks in another PC and carry on working but If the RAID chip is integrated with your motherboard, however, you will need to find another identical board before you can access your data.

Is this true “identical board before you can access your data”? this means that if my asus p4c800 breaks i have to find another p4c800??

Do you know more pci raid advantages, besides this? What you think is the best?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All current IDE RAID is PCI. That includes onboard chips, such as onboard Promise controllers, which use a PCI interface directly on the motherboard. So there isn't a performance difference between that and a Promise RAID card. But it IS true that different boards can have problems rebuilding arrays from other boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>