[SOLVED] Online games disconnects randomly

f3lipi

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2014
Hi!

Being a total beginner in network protocols, I would like to understand why I get disconnected in multiple different games.

I've done some troubleshooting, and apparently the disconnection occurs somewhat randomly (few min to few hours). At this time, I get disconnected from the game, but still I can hear my friends over discord (they can't hear me for a few seconds so looks like downstream works, upstream doesn't). Also, they don't get disconnected from the game as I do.

The problem is not likely to be in my ISP or game server, or modem/router. There are other games that I play (CSGO, WoW, Diablo 3, and other games...) that never gets this issue at all, and I've played them for 8+hours without a single disconnection.

Using Divinity 2 game as experiment and after running some packet capture with wireshark, I've managed to find a possible cause of the issue, and would like to explore it further.
Communications with Divinity 2 game runs with UDP packets on dynamic ports, so I've applied the filter with source/destination IPs.
I've noticed recently that whenever there is a new request from server/host on protocol "CLASSIC-STUN" with the message "Binding Request" changing ports, the game gets disconnected.
Tried a few games, with different hosts (friends with different dynamic IPs) and also game servers, still only my game gets disconnected and no one else's does.

My local IP is DMZ and upnp is turned on in rounter config, and I have no anti virus installed. Divinity executable is in Windows firewall exception list.

Also I've read some issues related to killer ethernet adapters (which is my case), and sound suspicious. "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller" would be, but I have just drivers (up to date) and no additional software to control anything. Which driver would be recommended?

Would really appreciate if I could pinpoint exactly why this happens and try to get a fix :)

Any ideas?

glldz3pzz4571.png

Solution
I've tried changing drivers to quite a few of them, none worked.

Then I bought a PCIx NIC and after disabling onbord NIC, everything worked, no more drops. :)

Thanks for pointing out unstable Killer NIC.
If it says killer I always blame that. Now that intel bought them hopefully intel does not load that stupid "gamer" network drivers. I have not looked at this since intel got involved. What you need is the version without any of the killer features. They used to imbed part of the function into the drivers so you have to do more than just uninstall the stupid program.

How much of simple troubleshooting have you done. Can you tell if maybe you are getting short internet drops. Wire shark tends to be something you try later. If you look there is a huge gap in the time between packets 154140 and 154392.

So I will assume the 192.168.15.10 ip is your local machine ?

What it appears is the server in packet 154140 sends your machine a bind request from the server and your machine for whatever reason never responds. The server then sends to the other port which your machine responds to. If I read the correctly it is the server changing the port.

Hard to say exactly what this is doing. STUN is something I have only seen used in VoIP applications.

Reactions: f3lipi

f3lipi

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks for the quick response bill001g.

First, I'll try to find a different driver to test it out, and post results later.

Currently considering buying a PCIx NIC to see if solves the issue.

f3lipi

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2014
I've tried changing drivers to quite a few of them, none worked.

Then I bought a PCIx NIC and after disabling onbord NIC, everything worked, no more drops. :)

Thanks for pointing out unstable Killer NIC.

Solution