[SOLVED] Only getting 100mbps when I should get 500mbps

Feb 21, 2022
I have CAT5e cable, 2.5Gb Ethernet adapter, and 500mbps subscription but I only get ~100mbps. I changed Speed & duplex settings from Auto Negotiation to 1.0gbps and nothing changed. Then I changed it to 10mbps and then again to 1.0gbps and it worked, I had 500mbps but after I restarted the pc it was capped again at 100mbps and doing the same thing didn't work this time. In windows settings it shows that my internet speed is 100mbps. What can I do to get 500mbps again?

Solution
This is some kind of hardware issue. The speed negotiation is done at a very low hardware level looking at voltages it does not run software/drivers to detect the speed.
The 2.5g ports have had trouble with drivers since they came out but generally it is performance issues.

This is pretty much only going to be a bad cable or a bad port in the machine. You have to hope it isn't the port which is why you try the cables first. There are massive amounts of fake ethernet cable being sold especially that flat stuff.
Those cable have wire much too small to meet the standard for a ethernet cable. You get strange issues with these many times.

Even the best cable can go bad. All it takes it a slight tug and a wire makes less...

iamnotstin

Prominent
Feb 16, 2022
Likely an issue with the cable you're using. If it worked at one point that means that your card and network hardware were able to negotiate up to 1Gb but it's likely falling back to 100Mb due to a poor connection because of the cable. Try using a different one and see if that help, otherwise try making sure the driver for your network card is up-to-date.

Feb 21, 2022
Likely an issue with the cable you're using. If it worked at one point that means that your card and network hardware were able to negotiate up to 1Gb but it's likely falling back to 100Mb due to a poor connection because of the cable. Try using a different one and see if that help, otherwise try making sure the driver for your network card is up-to-date.
I don't think it's the cable since this happened recently and nothing happened to the cable since then. I also checked the wall outlet and nothing was wrong. Drivers are up-to-date and I don't have any cables around right now.

iamnotstin

Prominent
Feb 16, 2022
I can almost guarantee it's a cable issue. They can be weird in that way, even if you don't think anything happened it could have a loose wire and even the slightest movement broke the connection. If you have a wall jack it could be an issue between the outlet and the router/switch it's connected to, but I would first try buying a new cable to replace the one connecting the jack to your PC.

Some hardware in way to your computer (router, switch, whatever) does support only 100 Mbits. Or you are using faulty Ethernet cable. Check first and if all hardware in middle have 1 Gbits ports then replace cable to working one. Otherwise replace router or what you have there to other with 1 Gbits or above ports.

iamnotstin

Prominent
Feb 16, 2022
Some hardware in way to your computer (router, switch, whatever) does support only 100 Mbits. Or you are using faulty Ethernet cable. Check first and if all hardware in middle have 1 Gbits ports then replace cable to working one. Otherwise replace router or what you have there to other with 1 Gbits or above ports.

I'm guessing that their network hardware supports 1Gb since they said that Windows was reporting gigabit speeds previously, just not consistently.

This is some kind of hardware issue. The speed negotiation is done at a very low hardware level looking at voltages it does not run software/drivers to detect the speed.
The 2.5g ports have had trouble with drivers since they came out but generally it is performance issues.

This is pretty much only going to be a bad cable or a bad port in the machine. You have to hope it isn't the port which is why you try the cables first. There are massive amounts of fake ethernet cable being sold especially that flat stuff.
Those cable have wire much too small to meet the standard for a ethernet cable. You get strange issues with these many times.

Even the best cable can go bad. All it takes it a slight tug and a wire makes less contact inside the rj45 plug. They also can get loose just because of hot/cold cycles.

In any case I would try a new cable before you go real far. With a wall jack in the path it could also be that. A wall jack you could pull the wires out cut off maybe 1/4 inch and punch them back down. It is almost never the wire itself that goes bad unless it is physically damaged in some way.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution