Question Optimize for compute performance related crashes. Now GPU Dead?

Jul 19, 2021
So, whatever. Bought this used gigabyte gtx 970 3x windforce super oc from some guy on fb.

Anyway, could use it just fine, apart frome some stuttering. Thing is that whenever i activated the optimize for compute performance feature from the nvidia control panel.

Low and behold, the setting would instead give me all kind of weird game crashes along with artifacts in the gpu display. But, to my knowledge, optimize for compute performance allows the sustain of a stable core clock + memory clock Instead of it fluctuating from gpu variable usage rate.

Resulting in an additional performance boost. I remember this setting from other nvidia gpu's and I remember stuttering issues getting solved by this feature.

So, I say, welp, must be some kind of driver issue since i'm using latest release 471.41. Roll back to 381 drivers and still got the issue. So i really hold on to hope and rollback to 372 driver release and after switching optimize compute performance on, game crashed pc rebooted and the gpu just completely died.

No Fans spinning, nothing. How did this happen?? Did i pay 260 usd for a malfunctioning/shorted gpu? Because the guy is playing dead like i screwed the thing over just because I switched that setting on, saying it's not an nvidia card feature. Lol. So, yeah. (And the guy calls himself a cpu repair technician. yikes...)

How did this happen? Cuz i had no clue a setting could result in this.

Should i stand my ground on a refund? Since i got no gpu to refund anymore. Maybe the guy will get all agressive, you know?

[Moderator edit to break up one solid paragraph.]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no setting in the Nvidia Control panel that would cause harm to your gpu. Unfortunately if you don't have anything in writing as far aa refund policy, the seller has all the power. Especially since it did work for a while. Buying a seven year old gpu is risky in of itself, and mix in a dubious seller makes for a poor outcome. I feel your pain, been burnt myself with a three day working gpu and then pfft!! No response from seller and gpu. Maybe if you have a tech savy friend that can open your card and take a look.

Jul 19, 2021
There is no setting in the Nvidia Control panel that would cause harm to your gpu. Unfortunately if you don't have anything in writing as far aa refund policy, the seller has all the power. Especially since it did work for a while. Buying a seven year old gpu is risky in of itself, and mix in a dubious seller makes for a poor outcome. I feel your pain, been burnt myself with a three day working gpu and then pfft!! No response from seller and gpu. Maybe if you have a tech savy friend that can open your card and take a look.
Really? As i said, i think this setting allows for additional performance, resulting in more power being used, also lil higher temps. If this gpu had an issue wouldn't it show with it on? Contrary to it being off? That's when i had decent performance. I mean fr this happened the 4th day i got the gpu that's messed up