Oracle Sues Google Over Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
This is rapidly becoming the norm. It seems like companies such as Google, Microsoft and Apple would rather develop something without having to get licenses from patent owners so that they can keep leaks about their work under wraps until it's close to release. If they license a patent from a third party, that party could leak valuable information about works in progress to the competition. They probably do some risk/cost analysis to look into whether it's better off paying a license fee up front or pay it plus some court fees at a later date and they probably also use the old "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" adage.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Is Google at fault here? Probably.

Am I basing this opinion on any kind of available evidence? No. I just can't stand Google anymore. Fcuk them. And fcuk Oracle too, while I'm at it.

maxsp33d

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
The whole patent system is FLAWED. It only slows and sometimes even stops developing new technology. Open source and Creative Commons is the way to go if you want technology moving forward.

"released a short but sweet press release"...
sweet?... really?
Jane must be hating Google/Android sooo much...

IMO, Oracle can take their lawsuit and shove it where the Sun don't shine (pun intended).

[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]Is Google at fault here? Probably.Am I basing this opinion on any kind of available evidence? No. I just can't stand Google anymore. Fcuk them. And fcuk Oracle too, while I'm at it.[/citation]

I too can't stand Google beyond their mail and search engine but is it just me or does Oracle seem like a bunch of hypocryts?

They release OpenOffice, a open source free program that utilizes backdoor ways to open, edit and run MS Office files yet they set waiting to sue for patent infringement.......

Yea....

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
This patent p*ssing match going on between all companies is begging to get really old. I really wish the system would get a reboot. It stifles competition and feeds trolls (I'm pointing at your Rambus).

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I don't see that Oracle has a case. Java was already released with an open source mentality and companies and individuals have been creating products based on that for years. This makes Java a public domain thing. Words that were once trademarked like Aspirin, that have become public domain as per the words common or generic use to the public, can't have a valid trademark. The same is true with patents. Java is too generic. If Oracle created some new Java technology, that particular technology might lend itself to a valid patent, but Java in general can't--at least to any judge worth a damn. This is just a big waste of the courts precious time in my view. No wonder the courts are so backed up with all these spurious lawsuits getting filed.

In my view, their needs to be a movement to not allow patents to be transferable.

stuoke

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't google not charge for Android OS? And if they don't dont charge how can they be sued?

maxsp33d

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Our society is based on capitalism. Open source will never be more than a curious experiment as long as the latter holds true. None of the heavy hitters will ever go open source. Not saying I agree with it, just how it is and will be for a long time.[/citation]

offtopic:I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but society is no longer based on capitalism. Now it's what some people call Corporatism and Monetarism, where corporations and banks hold all the power.

Also, another thing relating to the patent system is that when someone gets hired by a company most of the times they make you sign a contract stating that if the employee invents something while working for that company, then the company will hold the patent and not the individual. If an individual or a group of individuals would hold the patent, then the whole system would be much better. And that's why you never hear about an individual suing another individual or a company.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Not another patent and copyright infringement suit... I knew Oracle was going to destroy Sun. I guess Stallman was right all along with his doom prophecies. Soon we will live in a world with free people of reason engineering and inventing on one side, and big money corporate trolls out to destroy each other – and society and progress in the process.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Our society is based on capitalism. Open source will never be more than a curious experiment as long as the latter holds true. None of the heavy hitters will ever go open source. Not saying I agree with it, just how it is and will be for a long time.[/citation]

Quite the contrary, I guess more and more people and companies will hide for the large corporate patent trolls in open-source and clear, unrestrictive licenses.

sinality

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Our economic structure is based on capitalism. Often forgotten but there is really nothing free in life. Regardless of opinions on the whole issue and what is "fair" or not; companies are the aggregates of consumers, employees, investors, etc. They choose to enact choices that produce value to the stake holders. Often these are rich investors, but they can be employees, the common person with a 401k, retirees, etc. Blame the rich CEO but there are many individuals who are never discussed and benefit from a company succeeding. So hate it or love it the reality is we chose as a country to live in a society where hard work/risk/innovation can bring greater reward than laziness/playing safe/lacking creativity. As someone who has worked hard for anything I have and as a parent it is hard to blame Oracle for choosing to succeed. This is a fairly common practice that happens hundreds of times a day. Why did Google patent local search technology? To sue or license it. We offer patents to encourage disclosure in return for protection to the owner of IP (intellectual property).

Why do individuals not own patents? Think of it this way, go out and pay someone to come up with an idea. Then let them take it away, make money, and never give you a thing in return. Not something that works at any level.

Java is just one of those things Google chose. Come on if they can't do a little homework on the licensing rules with the billions in cash they have then shame on them. What rails, perl, something wasn't available as an alternative? They couldn't sign a licensing agreement in advance?

I do entirely agree that patent trolls are BS. In this case Oracle/sun spends money actively working on Java r/d, support, etc. So they are not a troll. The patent system needs to reflect the constant change of pace, clarify what is a generic Foo like concept versus a true innovation, and make sure if no product comes to market actively in a certain timeframe the patent dies faster.

What we need is to recognize that a loaf of bread costs a jar of milk and get over it all. If we don't like Oracle, then stop buying their stuff. If you don't like companies like oracle buying sun, then everyone white night and buy up shares refusing to sell. We all have power to make changes. We just lack the will, organization, and understanding to do anything but complain. I agree it's a lot of work to move some of these mountains. However look how pressure on Microsoft semi-pushed them more open source. Why no pressure on Oracle?

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]empress101[/nom]Google should have bought Sun when it had the chance.[/citation]
Google should buy the real sun and than sue Sun for using the solar energy emitted from it without license.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007

Except the big corporations use open source as a weapon against their rivals, so it is not an experiment, it is a calculated tool. eg: It doesn't cost a big corporation to support an open source project as much as a full development shop. A little "guidance" "advice" and "donations" goes a long way to unemployed nerd/geek types. Do this and you have a weapon to be used against your rivals, and if you do it right you will be a serious pain in the ass. eg: Get in their space and create rival products that are free and also help your "pet project" acquire GPL patents. To do this is cheap and it messes with a rival's revenue stream.

beans4you

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
right arm maxsp33d. And yeah if I owned Lougle and was being sued I would just buy the java holders company as mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.