Origin PC Opting for Nvidia Over AMD GPUs for Gaming PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorissimo

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
And getting the "Battlebox" contract from nvidia had NOTHING to do with dropping AMD, and making a public statement about it too boot?

ROFL...riiiiiiiiiight.....

wth is origin pc thinking? if they had ditched amd a few years back when amd refused to acknowledge their cards' inherent microstuttering issue, i woulda understood (i'd still call bias), but now, when amd has console wins and is taking steps to solve driver issues, ditching amd doesn't make sense.

although, 'going green' answers quite a bit. nvidia and their benjamins must be at play here. :p i think they're wrong for betting on nvidia. time will tell....

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I have always been a fan of AMD. They usually offer the best bang-for-buck solution. However, the frame time variance issue has driven me towards Nvidia. I'm not so sure it's strictly a driver issue. I think I'll wait for the 8000 series before I consider them again.

Well I've been getting driver issues with a single 7790 so its just their drivers as a whole that are crap and it seems as though Origin have finally had enough and seeing as the "new" cards are just the old cards maybe they feel that nothing is going to change?

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Wow, this is a big loss for AMD, and a major coup for NVidia. The tens of machines Origin sell each year will really cripple AMD's sales.

It's not about crippling AMD sales but rather having the balls to to tell it like it is and if they are lying then why haven't AMD gone for the lawsuit to make them retract their statement? They did take on Intel after all because they felt they had a case and they won so if these guys are lying why haven't AMD squashed them like a bug?

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

I really would like this statement as a sarcasm. Origin is a boutique-class company. They don't sell in big number, but in few well done items.

That's why most of theirs PC have an attached premium on it.

AMD have problems to be addressed but they are doing fine by now so it shouldn't be a surprise if later on the road they use AMD GPU's again.

piggys

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Ask my fried Nvidia card about there drivers. Did did the same thing with 8800. I knew I should of went with AMD.

Please don't, it's only you keeping Nvidia afloat and if you leave they're doomed, DOOMED! :pfff:

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Um, why would someone buy Origin PC's build to eat what they give you when you can make the build for yourself? Its not a rocket science just a week of roaming the internet about site and users reviews about parts you need.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
The first thing I do when I get a new GPU is change the thermal paste to a high quality one. I'm using 7950 1GHz and no problems at all. Although I did experience issues for the first few months with blinking screen when using browsers, but that has been fixed long ago with driver updates. Intel and AMD should educate their users on how to build PCs. Personally I wouldn't trust even the smartest tech person in the world to build my computer :)

Because not everyone wants to build their own PC or have you never heard of a company called Dell or Hewlit Packard or Alienware and if that's the case have you been living under a rock all these years?

OverclockedCeleron

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Origin PC might have a point if they were referring to multi-GPU setups. But things are changing, and in no way do I see how this is another "blow" to AMD.

Just wait until AMD flips the table once Mantle takes off. If Mantle delivers, then AMD GPUs will have a clear advantage in many future PC gaming. It would be interesting to hear what Origin PC says to justify going back to AMD again ;-).

I'm waiting for Silicondoc to turn up and repeat his assumptions that he's been making over on the Anandtech forums, now they're funny! :lol:

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Im with Rokit. Build your own, save money, learn something, and have a better (or equal) performing rig. There's only 15-18 components soup to nuts in a PC so its not like its hard to learn to do it.

Sure if youre one of the 15% of the country without a pc you might end up buying a package deal for a few years till you try to play a new game and dont want to upgrade your entire system so you buy more ram or a new gpu and then it doesnt work with your system for some reason or another and you end up learning all about building a pc from your own mistakes... just like the rest of us!

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Drivers have always sucked from AMD, I fired AMD for personal use back in the 9700pro days but most people are to damn hard headed to open their eyes. AMD really needs to hire a team of people to write drivers properly.

Get this latest story, I built a dual boot XP, Windows 8 for a customer and the 8570D driver is no longer supported by AMD for XP but Asus on the other hand released a driver to support the 8570D. The 8570D is located in the A8-6600k APU. AMD last driver release was 13.4 for XP and no 8570D support and no beta for XP. AMD let Asus clean up there damn mess. Thank Asus, Screw you AMD. I'm also considering not offering AMD produces at my computer shop, that driver shit caught me off guard and almost cost me a sell and a reacquiring customer.

And what about all of those who aren't with you and Rokit? You know, the one's who by their very existence have caused the builders of PC's to come about? Are you that small minded that you believe everyone on planet earth thinks the same way you do?

OverclockedCeleron

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
"Well I've been getting driver issues with a single 7790 so its just their drivers as a whole that are crap"

@Mouse, and just because you are having problems means their drivers are crap? SMH.

It is nearly a standard protocol for BOTH companies: Release a card, oh shit the card has some problems, work on drivers, release drivers, etc.

In other words, in the realm of both companies, shit happens, it's just that Nvidia cleans their shit faster, which is a good thing of course :).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I got both SLI (2x 780 gtx) and a CF (2x 7970) rigs and when it comes to the drivers Nvidia blow Amd out of the water, the Amd drivers simply aren't as stable as the Nvidia counterpart.

AMD have been working hard to improve their drivers but they aren't at the Nvidia level yet - Hopefully that changes so we have two fully stable driver sets as Amd's hardware is good and more price-worthy, its a shame the software drops that price-worthness.

BSOD's with the error message "Atikmpag.sys" and GSOD's are not new errors http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Gray-Screen-Crash,9529.html so how comes they have yet to be fixed?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
While there could be some under the table marketing going on here, I can understand why they took this route.

The majority of people buying these PCs are going to be people with little to no experience in building/maintaing a PC. They want everything to work and work well with no messing around. I think Nvidia has an edge over AMD in that department right now.

Also, I haven't recommended an AMD GPU to anyone in the high end for quite awhile now due to the micro stuttering issues. Now those seem to have been somewhat resolved as of late, but the fact is Nvidia just works and has for a few years now. You just don't hear about these kinds of problems.

Now if you're someone who doesn't mind tinkering with driver settings and are going to a big overclock then AMD is probably for you as you can extract a lot of extra performance from their cards that way, but I don't think that is Origin's primary customer base.

As for how big of an advantage AMD GPUs are going to gain from optimizations as a result of the consoles, that remains to be seen. Could be a factor, might be hype. I'll be interested to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.