Origin PC Opting for Nvidia Over AMD GPUs for Gaming PCs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecreep

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
meh, they'll still probably order an AMD gpu if you request it, I know they'll definitely put it in your system if you have an amd gpu to ship them

Hey it's Saturday night and I've had a beer or two, so sue me! :finger:

But you didn't ask me about my nvidia 8800, that has been overclocked to hell and back, and now still resides in my htpc alongside a core 2 duo e6600 also OC'd to hell on a nvidia motherboard.
Now ask me where are my crossfire AMD 6850's?....gone after a month of owning them. pieces of crap. I should have went with nvidia.....

mantle wont take off. It will be like physx, only available in select titles. And if it follows AMD's software record, it wont work properly for at least 5 years, if ever.

Iastfan112

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Issues I've experienced with my ATI/AMD 4870: 0
Issues with my Nivida 8600 and 560: Driver that caused the fan to stop spinning on the 8600, occasional blue screens with 560 on drivers in 2012(can't remember the driver that had the issues) and ongoing issues that cause freezes when browsing Firefox and normal computer use on every driver past 314 series(significant issue considering BF4 beta does not run well on the older drivers). Both companies have issues with drivers at times, my current frustration with Nvidia means AMD will likely be my next pick for a GPU purchase.

RupertJr

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hehe how much money has NVidia paid to Origin to do that?
Already has done this several times like:
http://www.techpowerup.com/104868/batman-arkham-asylum-enables-aa-only-on-nvidia-hardware-on-pcs.html
Why not dropping AMD a year ago? Now they are dropping them when the frame phasing issues are almost solved and that a new family of chips has been released by AMD and that their GPU will be specially taken into account by game developers since will be part of the next gen consoles. This is a shot in the leg for Origin and has almost no way to justify that. There is a 2% more of failures between Nvidia and AMD 1.X% vs 3.X% percent. So if they didn't drop them then why now? Is clear than NVidia has nothing to offer to clients except of a new "Battlebox" certification. This is hillarious! This is just an attempt to spoil AMD's image. Why Origin didn't released numbers related to that suppoused failures that forced them to take that decision? The fact is that AMD is making a lot of noise lately and if their new GPUs and CPUs are up to the rumors NVidia might have a hard year. It is also been rumored that NVidia stocks will go down, who knows. I really wish the best to AMD and I have high hopes that they be up to the moment.

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Nvidia payed them exactly how much they were making in revenue for the AMD gpus and asked them to drop amd and make a press statement about it. Origin bought the bribe.

Can you provide us with any proof to back up such a claim?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

If this is true, what a PR stunt. Props to Nvidia's communication team. Every tech site from CNET on down covered this and has page after page of people commenting.

Still not convinced Nvidia had anything to do with it though. If I owned something like Origin, I would probably only offer Intel/Nvdia also just because I wouldn't have to worry about something not working. AMD isn't bad, just sometimes needs extra work.

That doesn't make very much sense. Perhaps limited support if the customer chooses AMD? That would mitigate the problem while still allowing people to choose their favorite brand.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
My guess is that the majority of people buying Origin PC products don't have a "favorite brand." They just want a gaming PC that works out of the box and works well. Else they would just build it themselves.

redeemer

Distinguished
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/05/much-nvidia-pay-origin-pc-drop-amd/

Nvidia is about to be pounded silly in the GPU space from notebook losses to channel sales, AMD has a full product refresh and Nvidia has no new silicon for several quarters, just more rebrands. On the gaming side AMD CPUs are powering two of the next three consoles and their GPUs are in all three. AMD is the development target for ALL next-gen games, Nvidia is totally out of the enthusiast market, game over and they know it. PC makers won’t even play the usual marketing games, the cost of doing an engine only for Nvidia based PCs is high enough to be a non-starter.

With no console synergies, no XBox, no Playstation 4, no Wii U, and only Shield to ‘brag’ about, how do you counter a competitor’s superior product? Find a credible OEM and pay them off perhaps. In this case Nvidia couldn’t find one, so in a similar fashion to their press manipulation tactics they went down the ladder until someone bought in. Battlebox? Sure. Unspecified MDF and assorted monies? Sure. Press release? Sure. Send it to a bunch of gullible sites that you know won’t bother to question motives of an extremely specious statement? Check.

Gotta love Charlie

axefire0

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Quote:
Wow, this is a big loss for AMD, and a major coup for NVidia. The tens of machines Origin sell each year will really cripple AMD's sales.

No, not a big loss at all. AMD has Xbox One and Playstation 4, and these are big markets. On the otherhand, Origin PC is a niche market, unlike Dell, HP, etc.

It is a small loss for AMD, but may be relatively bigger loss for Origin because of AMD fan base. AMD may lose maybe 1% of sales, while Origin may lose 10% of their sales. But then perhaps, if Nvidia gave them good discounts for going all-Nvidia plus other businesses, then that might even up for Origin PC.

17seconds:
Yes, you are good at that.
No, not a big loss at all. AMD has Xbox One and Playstation 4, and these are big markets. On the otherhand, Origin PC is a niche market, unlike Dell, HP, etc.

It is a small loss for AMD, but may be relatively bigger loss for Origin because of AMD fan base. AMD may lose maybe 1% of sales, while Origin may lose 10% of their sales. But then perhaps, if Nvidia gave them good discounts for going all-Nvidia plus other businesses, then that might even up for Origin PC.
The post you were quoting is sarcastic.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
This is starting to look a lot more like PC games taking revenge on the company that have signed up the console contract for the next 8 years. AMD has a deal when certain CPUs or GPUs are bought you get free games, a hook up with Steam, so for Valve to go nVidia is a knife in the back - but as stated above nobody will miss Origin PC, their sales are negligible and the press release is designed to cause more trouble than it's weight.

BDCool1983

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Well nvidia has to sell to someone. It's not like NVIDIA got the xbox or ps4 or even the wii contracts. I don't know who origin are myself. The article or them sounds like my boss just being childish. Boo hoo origin you nobody company. Good luck with nvidia given 99% of games will be AMD optimised shortly due to the three top consoles being all AMD based you idiots

But didn't AMD say that unlike their competitors they would always play fair and stick to open standards? Granted Mantle is propriety at the moment and it remains to be seen how that turns out but if AMD's word is to be worth anything then any and all games should be optimised for both camps, surely?

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
The reason is simple nVidia gave BRIBE money to Origin PC. Nvidia knows their future is doomed, and they are desperate to do something..............

Do you have evidence of that or are you just making stuff up?

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

As a Gaming Rig builder they should have offered configurations both from nVidia and AMD. Not all people prefers Nvidia or AMD. If that happened, then one of the company may already bankrupt and gone. Gaming experience from both vendors seems similar, except some crossfire related micro shutter issue which AMD have fixed some time ago. So there is no reason to exclude AMD GPUs from there build. Future games tends to prefer AMD GCN cores especially with AMDs new Mantle API you have any doubts about that? . People are now a days are not that fools and can judge pretty well what's makes more sense.

Have you read the article? And as Mantle is untried and so far only in one game that has yet to be released it's too early to say whether it will be a game changer or not.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Do you think its fair to exclude AMD GPUs ? If you say yes then your a fanboy of nvidia. A PC developer should support all mainstream vendors equally....

Status
Not open for further replies.