Origin PC Opting for Nvidia Over AMD GPUs for Gaming PCs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They're not developers they're custom PC builders and so if they no longer wish to use a particular manufacturer then that is their prerogative, AMD are not going to go under because of this so who cares if I think it's fair? For me the article is more about why they have dropped AMD not that they have dropped AMD.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Yes its true that the choice is ultimately there's. But the way they Bashed AMD and there drivers whats really wrong. It sounded someone manipulated origin builders and scripted to say in a particular way. Doesn't sounded like that ??

Well if what they have said is untrue then they could be looking at a lawsuit for slander and I'm pretty sure that even a small company like Origin have a legal eagle on the payroll who would have advised them against telling lies.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

A better analysis of the topic from SemiAccurate @ http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/05/much-nvidia-pay-origin-pc-drop-amd/

Charlie D is a known Nvidia hater and as such he will always put the bias spin on things without ever providing actual evidence which is why I refuse to read any of the crap on his site.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

LOL man so they dropped AMD GPU's but not CPU's ..com'on

Yes and?

cyan1d3

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
Great work Origin, alienate a chunk of potential buyers who might want AMD hardware in their PC. Any PC builder should at least give their clients the opportunity to decide.

cyan1d3

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
Great work Origin, alienate a chunk of potential buyers who might want AMD hardware in their PC. Any PC builder should at least give their clients the opportunity to decide.

Is there a law or regulation that they are breaking by not offering AMD GPU's in their builds?

Even if AMD didn't pay the devs, if the consoles use AMD hardware then the games will be tuned for that. I don't think that is unfair but rather a natural consequence.

As far as mantle goes, I think it will be a useless niche like Physx.

On that we agree!

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Quote:
Nvidia payed them exactly how much they were making in revenue for the AMD gpus and asked them to drop amd and make a press statement about it. Origin bought the bribe.

Can you provide us with any proof to back up such a claim?

Quote:
Nvidia payed them exactly how much they were making in revenue for the AMD gpus and asked them to drop amd and make a press statement about it. Origin bought the bribe.

Can you provide us with any proof to back up such a claim?

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/05/much-nvidia-pay-origin-pc-drop-amd/

I seriously doubt that Charlie's ranting would count as evidence in a court of law so that is not proof is it?

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Is Origin paying to have this article published? I mean honestly who cares what these guys have to say? They could close doors today and nobody in the industry would even know about it. So Origin spoons with NVIDIA now. Fantastic. Why didnt you guys just name the article "Origin PC Spoons With Nvidia Oficially.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

That's why this is so great. If Nvidia is behding this, their PR people are brilliant and should get a raise. This has gotten so much attention it's amazing. Literally millions of dollars in advertising couldn't have had the same effect. Tech sites know their readers love this kind of juicy crap, especially when there are so many Nvidia and AMD fanboys out there to go at it.

Case study in effective PR 101 right here.

This coming from someone who said DX10.1 was the best thing ever and a reason to buy ATi cards, how did that work out by the way?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It's clear that Mousemonkey won't listen to reason. He attacks everyone's position without providing any facts. And when the facts he provides are proven as wrong or incorrectly interpreted he goes for the emotional argument. He's trashing AMD's drivers but the truth is nVidia an AMD/ATI have traded places for years when it comes to drivers and performance. This time around AMD has everything except the top tier space and nVidia has better drivers. I have both in several sets of machines, what you use is your choice, give it a few years and things will change again.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
"Based on our 15+ years of experience building and selling award winning high-performance PCs, we strongly feel the best PC gaming experience is on Nvidia GPUs,"

Mhmm we will see about that in the next couple of weeks...

A true gamer builds their own system with the best parts for their budget. These "high end" systems they build are usually complete junk and for way more than what you can build on your own.

I just got an hp pheonix system for my boss with a gtx 660 and i7 4770 and its liquid cooled. The amount of crap they pre load the system with and whatever they did when the loaded windows 8 has caused nothing but problems. It freezes ever second and is slow but he said he wanted a pre built system vs something i could build and load and have it run perfect from the start

Status
Not open for further replies.