Status
Not open for further replies.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hi,
I have this really dated system of mine, which I am now replacing with a new and extremely powerful system. My new rig will have a i5 2500k, which I am getting only coz I wanna overclock. but havn;t really had any kinda overclocking experience yet, so I wanna try this on my old system first.

So, the question is -

Can I overclock a Pentium 4 HT 524 (LGA 775) @3.06 GHz to something better ????

Along with that, can I also overclock my RAM - kingston DDR2 @533 MHz (512 MB) + e-devices DDR2 @533MHz (512 MB)????

My mobo is - Intel D945GCCR

Solution

There are certain pieces of software that may be able to directly change the clock generator to increase clock speed- SetFSB is one I know of. Word of caution however- boards that do not have options in the BIOS to overclock are likely NOT bus-locked. Changing the clock generator's speed will overclock the entire motherboard. Most parts on a motherboard do not overclock very well, especially things like expansion cards and disk...

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Chances are no, because intel boards dont have the options to in the bios.

I think there is a software out there for Intel boards so you can overclock but I am not sure what it is called, or if it even works.

Beside that, overclocking on LGA 775 is going to be different than overclocking on an LGA 1155.

There are certain pieces of software that may be able to directly change the clock generator to increase clock speed- SetFSB is one I know of. Word of caution however- boards that do not have options in the BIOS to overclock are likely NOT bus-locked. Changing the clock generator's speed will overclock the entire motherboard. Most parts on a motherboard do not overclock very well, especially things like expansion cards and disk controllers. Push the speed more than 5% or so above stock and you will have issues. On a board with overclocking options, the chip/RAM has a separate clock generator from the southbridge/expansion slots/disk controllers/etc so you can overclock the CPU + RAM much, much farther than 5% or so.

The P4 524 can certainly be overclocked, you just need to have a motherboard that can overclock it to do so. Your motherboard is very unlikely able to overclock the CPU since it is an Intel board and non-X-series (e.g. 925X, 955X, 975X, X58) Intel-branded boards almost never allow for overclocking.

Solution

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Well, my entire system is about 5 yrs old now, has sustained frequent overheating (about 30-35 times or so) and is yet performing well, without giving me any headaches.
It is good for non-gaming purposes. As u mentioned, overclocking my intel board maybe quite dangerous for it, since the entire mobo;s components get OCed.
And even if I took the risk, the performance upgrade will be barely noticeable I think.
Whataya say??

I think you just answered your own question ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS