[SOLVED] Overclocking AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Checking temps and some advice

Oct 7, 2020
(SKIP TO THE END FOR TL;DR)
For Starters here is my current build on PC Part Picker
(Link) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jrs48J (Link)

List copied from pc part picker for reference

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Crucial BX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC2 Video Card

NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case

Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

For starters I decided to try my hand at overclocking my CPU the AMD Ryzen 5 3600X to 4.0 Ghz (that was my goal) because I'm interested in overclocking my CPU possibly my GPU and see how far I can push these components without pushing them TOO FAR.
But first I went into the Bios and Ran My RAM at 3200 (XMP factory preset) first it showed zero issues or instability with the CPU at its default settings so I continued my focus on my CPU
as of right Now
My clock speed (which I will change in the bios after i find a stable definite clock speed and voltage but right now It is changed in Ryzen Master) is 4.3 Ghz and my voltage is 1.35v I ran it through the AIDA64 CPU stress test (since I was told it was better than Prime95's stress test) for 3 hours the highest the temperature was 69°c averaging at 62°c with a little bit of lag because I accidentally left Chrome and Discord open during the test (I believe this was the cause of the lag)

So my questions are:
Do you think that the temperature with this OC are good results ?
Do you believe I can possibly push this further or tweak it to be more optimal without pushing my components too far?
Do you have any constructive criticism I can use to further my knowledge of overclocking (especially Ryzen CPUs as I believe that approaching intel CPUs can be different I may be wrong)

I'm very new to all of this and I tried to do my research on overclocking but I'm more of a hands on learner than reading about the project or watching a video (probably the worst project to read the basics and the reference examples of other CPU OC performance and then just do it)

___
TLDR
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Clock speed 4.3 Ghz
Voltage 1.35v
Ram DDR4 32GB (16x2) 3200Mhz
Average CPU Temp (AIDA64 Stress test) [3 hour test] 62°c (highest 69°c) (lowest 54°c)
Idle Temp 31°c-35°c

(Questions)
Do you think that the temperature with this OC are good results ?
Do you believe I can possibly push this further or tweak it to be more optimal without pushing my components too far?
Do you have any constructive criticism I can use to further my knowledge of overclocking?

I tried to give all the info possible so it'd be easier for you guys to tell me if I did good or BAD and how I can make it better all feedback is accepted and I really just want to see how far I can take this (without losing my CPU in 1 year)
____

Last edited:
Solution
The general consensus for the 3600x without extreme overclocking (losing your CPU in 1 year or less and going through unstable clocks and unsafe voltages until that one benchmark score submits) is ''not really worth the bother.'' It's a good bin 3600 that is overclocked by default, slap an x at the end and sell it for extra. There's not much more to squeeze out, although they do sometimes undervolt decently.

Just about the only thing (for CPU compute boost) you really have to squeeze on is your ram. Ryzen loves fast ram. although that is generally more complicated, time consuming (lots and lots and lots of crashing and stability testing), finnicky and requires more prior research than CPU overclocking.

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
The general consensus for the 3600x without extreme overclocking (losing your CPU in 1 year or less and going through unstable clocks and unsafe voltages until that one benchmark score submits) is ''not really worth the bother.'' It's a good bin 3600 that is overclocked by default, slap an x at the end and sell it for extra. There's not much more to squeeze out, although they do sometimes undervolt decently.

Just about the only thing (for CPU compute boost) you really have to squeeze on is your ram. Ryzen loves fast ram. although that is generally more complicated, time consuming (lots and lots and lots of crashing and stability testing), finnicky and requires more prior research than CPU overclocking.

Reactions: creepybones
Solution
Oct 7, 2020

I will research overclocking RAM but I am definitely Far from even thinking of attempting that myself
Though it is an entirely different subject since i cant do much but try and undervolt the ryzen
What about My EVGA 1080 ti is it worth attempting to overclock that to squeeze more performance out of it or is it too unsafe and/or just as complicated as RAM (of course I will look into it more online)

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I will research overclocking RAM but I am definitely Far from even thinking of attempting that myself
Though it is an entirely different subject since i cant do much but try and undervolt the ryzen
What about My EVGA 1080 ti is it worth attempting to overclock that to squeeze more performance out of it or is it too unsafe and/or just as complicated as RAM (of course I will look into it more online)
GPU overclock is just about the easiest, even more so doing it safely. This Jayztwocents video summarizes it pretty well:
EDIT: woops, linked wrong video.