[SOLVED] Overclocking GTX 1650 OC is not possible on my laptop ---- why is it locked ?

Dec 20, 2021
I'm trying to overclock it but it cannot go higher than 1785mhz even if I set the Core clock +100mhz on MSI Afterburner for example. Why's it locked?

Acer Nitro 5
i5-11300H
GTX 1650
32GB 3200mHz RAM
Windows 11
512GB WD SSD

Last edited:
Solution
The question is whether or not game play can be noticeably improved by squeezing out that "bit more performance".

And at what potential risks and tradeoffs?

Overclocking could improve laptop performance. How much actual improvement and for how long is likely to be quite a discussion.

A similar discussion would be is if that improvement actually translates into better, faster game play where you actually win more.

Simply consider that if bandwidth cannot "keep up" then all that is happening is the laptop/GPU is being stressed to no real gain.

Maybe just gets hotter via any available thermal headroom but with no real performance benefit. Or added gaming wins.

And the extra heating will simply lead to an early laptop demise...

Ralston18

Titan
My first thought is that the power requirements will exceed what the laptop can provide.

Why is overclocking believed necessary? Is there a specific performance problem? Could be other reasons and OC is not needed as a fix.

Update your post to include full laptop hardware specs and OS information.

Even if OC is achieved doing so might end badly for the laptop - sooner or later thereafter.

Dec 20, 2021
My first thought is that the power requirements will exceed what the laptop can provide.

Why is overclocking believed necessary? Is there a specific performance problem? Could be other reasons and OC is not needed as a fix.

Update your post to include full laptop hardware specs and OS information.

Even if OC is achieved doing so might end badly for the laptop - sooner or later thereafter.

There is a lot of headroom thermally. It only hits 52Cish on a cool day (15C ambient). I could squeeze a bit more performance out of it if I could

Ralston18

Titan
The question is whether or not game play can be noticeably improved by squeezing out that "bit more performance".

And at what potential risks and tradeoffs?

Overclocking could improve laptop performance. How much actual improvement and for how long is likely to be quite a discussion.

A similar discussion would be is if that improvement actually translates into better, faster game play where you actually win more.

Simply consider that if bandwidth cannot "keep up" then all that is happening is the laptop/GPU is being stressed to no real gain.

Maybe just gets hotter via any available thermal headroom but with no real performance benefit. Or added gaming wins.

And the extra heating will simply lead to an early laptop demise.

As for your question - "Why's it locked" the reason may simply be a matter of safety. Protection from heat, fire, injury.

Solution